1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our small ball has been figured out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Mar 8, 2020.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Having a team "figured out" means more than a lopsided loss.

Having the opponent play zone and dare the Rox to beat them with 3s isnt them "figuring out" the Rox lol. That's literally what the Rox want them to do cuz then they can bomb with 3s. If the Rox hit at an average 35% then they would have won not just this game, but the the previous 5 games as well. That's not "figuring out" the Rockets.

Unfortunately the Rox have lost most of their 3 pt accuracy, some optimistic posters here claim variance but I think it is FATIGUE. Small ball defense takes a lot out of you and while the first few games showed how glorious it can be, the last 5 games are starting to show it is unsustainable with a small rotation.

Pringles is experimenting now with a varied lineup but it may be too late, the wear and tear on Harden, Tucker and Roco have already happened. Ideally he should have done a Kerr and played the 5 man death lineup only during 4rth quarters. If he wanted 4 quarters of microball maybe he should have expanded his rotation with everyone getting 25-28 mins max.

But as we all know Pringles is prob the worst coach in the NBA when it comes to roster mgt, he cant keep track of all his guys on the court and manage their mins properly he always runs them to the ground. The recent success have given me some hope on MDA, but this slump has shown me he still the same ol' coach who couldnt get it done in PHX. Rox shouldnt retain him after this year and get somebody better. Hell I'd even take Becky Hammond at this point.

TheRealist137 and ksny15 like this.
  2. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Can we change a new defensive coach? MDA can become assistant coach

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a schematic issue at all.

Of course the Skip Bayless’s of Clutchfans will come out and pound their chests.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

This... the wings don’t have the confidence yet to shoot wide open 3’s... they will settle in eventually. The system has not peaked yet... be good if we get it going by playoffs... we can beat any team if we’re hitting those 3’s.

D-rock likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Shooting 35% from 3 makes a huge difference over 17% from 3.

Those missed shots become long rebounds turned into fast breaks down the Rockets throats.

70 points at the half projected out is 140 points at the end of regulation.
    Notice that:
    Boston ended with 111 points (W)
    Knicks 123 points (L)
    Clippers 105 points (L)
    Hornets 99 points (L)
    Magic 106 points (L)

Thank you opponents for letting up off the gas on us.......or maybe the Rockets play enough defense
    in the second half to make it look like a game.?!.

If teams use the same philosophy in the playoffs......we are going to score 150 points a game to their 120.

No, I think our target is Denver (Jokic) sitting at 3rd seed. Rockets are currently 6th (1/2 game behind OKC and
    1 game ahead of Dallas). If Denver falls to 4th then we hit 3’s again and move ahead of OKC for 5th.

#25 ApacheWarrior, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    DeBeards and HP3 like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

On Missed Shots - Harden should just run back.
    He never does. That is one of the things I am bothered by

That said.
    I think on Offense we need more people to score.
    People can talk motion .. . long two . .. mid range. . what ever
    but the reality if 3 out of 5 people on the court cannot hit those shots
    its a f*cking wrap

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Because their idiots

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah the opponents don't score as much in the second half because we are already blown the f out before the first half ends.

9. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Harden needs a center. If MDA continues to play small ball, Harden needs to change team and Houston will lose in 1st round

10. HP3

HP3 Member

This part, I will agree with. I mean...thats the only way I can explain it? Dude's look gassed....idk. Thats the only thing that would make any of this make sense.

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This worries me more than the shooting. During the win streak, our improved defense was how we won games in which we didn't shoot well. And you don't need rhythm or a "good night" to defend effectively. You just need focus and effort.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank goodness for the unspoken mercy rule among NBA teams.

Sub-500 teams showing us mercy. Love it.

DeBeards likes this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

Change?
    Coaches don’t know how to teach defense and players have no talent to grab rebound.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets still run pick and roll plays.

DeBeards likes this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It’s not figured out. Rockets just on some bs that they gotta get off of.