1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Virus] So who’s still going out?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Mar 7, 2020.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Everyone staying home? Or are people still going out (date night, dinner, etc)? What’s everyone’s preference?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nah not going out, but we went out to eat maybe once every 2 months anyway, so we cut that out pretty easily.

I am basically only going to HEB, Costco, Home Depot, and work.

I would like to shorten that list and start working from home, but my employer is exceptionally stupid about that.

Jontro and CCity Zero like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Corona who? It’s business as usual for me.

Air Yordan, saitou, Fyreball and 4 others like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm in the highest risk profile, my significant other is in the one below me, so we're doing as little going out as we can get away with, starting now. Last Wednesday, I went to a pub on 6th for Irish beer and trivia night with the guys, been doing it for a decade, and I won't be doing that again for a while. The pub was half empty and the owner, who I know, looked worried. That was before SXSW was cancelled, which is a big plus for his business. Our quality of life is taking a major hit. Big time. I'm having Maudie's withdrawal. Anyone who lives in Austin knows what I'm talking about.

I'm going to buy a bunch of steaks for the freezer to put on the grill, a bunch of potatoes, green stuff, etc., to put in the fridge and freezer, and a bunch of those "Beyond Burger" veggie things that taste remarkably like ground beef if they come from a grill or even a frying pan for my vegetarian partner. Load up on disposables we use everyday, vitamins, which I'm always loaded up with, some other stuff, like dog food, and hunker down some. Freeze some loaves of bread. Hell, I'm tempted to order a freezer from Amazon and put it in our garage and really load up.

16,000,000 Italians in Northern Italy have been put on lock down, in quarantine. 16 million! This is not a joke, people, and the Italians, believe it or not, are an advanced Western country. They are desperate. Their medical facilities are being overwhelmed. Their intensive care units are having to put people in hallways. Check the BBC for some actual information, not some of the most popular news sources here who are feeding you BS. Just a suggestion.

I hate it.

#4 Deckard, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right , the news - overseas/BBC etc and posts from our European posters are alarming. When Italy makes a move like this, it's not fear mongering at that point, I mean they're bringing back retired Dr's/nurses, making more beds available etc etc. I haven't seen anything good/great reported yet. I think if anyone's in the group of higher risk they shouldn't take this lightly - especially since the cdc is saying the exact same thing regarding the age and health being major factors. I'd also highly recommend the people in the less dangerous groups at least do the minimum - wash hands, don't cough on people, if you're sick just stay home. And don't ignore the serious symptoms.

I seriously hate it too, I wasn't going out much lately due to a project for work, but now it's probably going to be less.... I already work from home (believe me it's not as great as it sounds, at least on some days....) - I mean I miss the human interaction outside the house.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Flying to FL Monday for Spring Break from IAH. We are doing two days at a theme park and I am very curious what the airports and park attendance will look like.

The 99% of Italian deaths are over 60 stat posted in the other thread gives me hope that while this is definitely dangerous the elderly and those with immune system issues are the ones who really need to be super careful to the point of just staying home.

I feel it’s inevitable that in a few weeks there will be cases in every major city in the country.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That’s already happened.

B-Bob, King1, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A former student of mine is a freshman at U of Washington. He is coming back home to Southern California tonight because classes are being moved online starting next Monday.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Took the family out to eat Friday night thinking it would be our last weekend to do it for some time. Wake up this morning and we have 3 confirmed cases in my chunk of Oregon, including two in town. We'll ease into social distancing... no restaurants, but maybe some stores where we feel we have some level of control. I suspect in another week, we'll be loathe to do that.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I haven't changed anything whatsoever. Traveling as usual.

ArtV and Nook like this.
  11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Business as usual. Doctor's aren't worried, so neither am I.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Had the chicken tandoori quesadillas and too many pints at the Red Lion yesterday. Finished the day at El Topo with a barbacoa grilled cheese sandwich.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I’ve gone into the Petri dish and I’m still alive. But duck. And don’t go left. Definitely don’t go left.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Going out as usual, but will not do any cruises for the time being. Hate the thought of getting stuck in those tiny rooms for two weeks.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Life as usual. Washing hands more than normal when out of the house.

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Cancelled my wife’s 50th birthday cruise for this summer (it included stops in Italy including Venice). On the fence about a trip to Belize in a few weeks. I’m old and diabetic, but just had to stop at pho bien and common bond yesterday. The Heights was hopping. I’m fairly introverted, so social distancing is hardly a chore.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I got my toilet paper.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Doesn’t affect my routine at all. But I love staying home and hate traveling anyway. We also have been getting groceries delivered for going on two years.

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

This situation has become an introvert's dream. I, on the other hand, am going crazy at home.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Flying in a crowded plane this weekend, on Friday the 13th, to the pacific Northwest, where 18000 people will watch the Blazers host the Rockets together.