1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden mid range

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by realonemo, Mar 7, 2020.

1. realonemo

realonemo Member

I tried to get behind this analytical approach to his game but it just makes ot too easy for the defense. He shoots a great percentage at the hoop but if the three's ain't going in then what ? Has he had more than 2 games in a playoff series where the threes are going in and he's scoring in the paint at will ? Some of that is the defense but still variety is good thing imo.

Iron21, icewill36, Bearded13 and 3 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden hit 6 midrange jumpers in 1 game against Portland in this video

Has he even taken 6 midrange jumpers in 2020?

I remember when he had Klay calling him daddy in game 1 of the 2015 WCF abusing the sh*t out of him with his midrange game

it no longer exists...taking them doesn’t even cross his mind

Mr Chuck Norris and smp like this.
  3. realonemo

realonemo Member

I get that that's what the defense wants, but at some point those are the available shots when it gets tight. Hitting like 3 in a row makes them adjust. I don't wanna hear you have to shoot close to 50% on those shots to justify not taking them. The negative effect of threes that people overlook is the long rebounds that boosts the other teams fast break.

4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

It's idiotic that the team doesn't preach shooting the mid-range when our 3's aren't falling. It's so frustrating that I'm contemplating not watching another game until the playoffs.

ksny15, Bearded13, bcast89 and 2 others like this.
  6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Its no coincidence that the narrative on harden turned from clutch to choker just around the time he started comically running backwards from open shots to contested 3s

LosPollosHermanos and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. bcast89

bcast89 Member

It truly sucks and I know what the strategy is behind taking a high volume of threes but, when it’s OPEN and then you either dribble it around whittling the shot clock down to a heavily contested shot or passing out to well guarded players at the three point line, it freakin pisses me off and is super unwatchable. Like I wanna get behind this team and strategy so bad but adjustments have to be made in game and we don’t do that so we become predictable and easy to defend.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Can't draw flop and draw fouls on midrange jumpers... Harden won't commit to it..

9. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I'm with you on the mid rangers brother I've seen them win chips. Even last year when the Warriors locked up that floater/lob play it would have been nice to take advantage of the wide open mid rangers

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It’ll happen

11. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

I've been saying it in other threads but if Harden wants to get his drives to the bucket going again he needs to shoot the mid range here and there. With no lob threat and refs calling offensive fouls on his floaters, he needs to stop and pull up just so defenders can't immediately drop back into the paint as soon as he breaks the 3 point line. As a matter of fact they currently drop into the paint so hard if he just did a little stepback from the midrange people would go flying. The threat of the midrange jumper is part of why Westbrook is still consistently getting to the rim (plus insane athleticism). The analytics are flawed. I'll take a wide open mid range from Harden over a contested floater/layup at this point.

Bearded13, hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

These shots absolutely need to be a part of our strategy profile , even if they aren’t “efficient” in a vacuum .

we are letting Russ take it because it’s an open shot and he sucks at shooting 3’s .

we need to let James take it because it’s an open shot and sometimes he can go cold from 3 .

defenses are giving him that shot . He should take it and make it .

3>2 , but 2>0 . All the rockets commentators ever say about the stepback 3 is how challenging of a shot it is . Take advantage of the fact that James has an unstoppable midrange game when we need buckets .

smp and daywalker02 like this.
  13. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I'm hoping he will be pulling it out in the post season, maybe he is just saving it lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

It comes with experience. Certain players live for the defense like 'dirty knees' beverly. Paul George was seen pushing harden in the back at times.

Thats the type of some nba players have to deal with. You can have 230 lb man shoving and pushing unseen by the referee!

15. smp

smp Member

Those of us in favor of midrange shots have been arguing it for years now.

I believe this is MDA’s last shot. If he doesn’t get it done a new coach with a new approach will come in and I really believe we will see more diversity in the offense and defense.

Right now it’s jack up 3’s unless you are Westbrook and switch everything. There seems to be no difference in strategy from game to game or opponent to opponent. It’s an arrogant philosophy of we do what we do and the opponent needs to match up to us.

I’ll definitely be watching to see how it all plays out though!

LosPollosHermanos and Bearded13 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wonder when did he become so mechanic?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is an easy transition, somehow for Moreyball it is not, on the contrary.

18. Mr. Space City

perfect example of how the threat of a mid range shot can open the lane.

LosPollosHermanos and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Maybe he just doesn't make them like he use to? I don't know grasping at straws there. It's baffling that a self proclaimed best player in the league can put himself in a corner with literally only 2 moves which now the D can easily guard. It's a drive and layup or step back 3. No floaters, hardly any euro anymore, no mid-range step backs, no shooting off screens hell he barely does those tomahawks anymore

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  20. JackLordsHair66

You would think he would try it at some point but he hasn’t shot a mid range shot in ages. Pretty sure he hasn’t attempted one this year to this point... if anyone has the latitude to do it it’s James yet he has become more and more stubborn with the step back 3. It’s frustrating to watch game after game especially lately where it directly contributes to transition baskets for opponents because of our rebounding/height disadvantage. I don’t see the guy changing and don’t see Dantoni making any dramatic plea for him to adjust because his system is predicated on jacking 3s in volume and hoping his team hits more than the opponent. I see why the media and even other players thinks it’s a boring type of basketball to watch, it’s becoming more and more evident it’s flawed unless you have the perfect players which we do not.