1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

FTF Nick & Jenna: Rockets don't have a plan B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Mar 6, 2020.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

and #2 in offense going into last night's game. coming off of several seasons of I think being #2 to the ridiculous warriors squad. a team which undoubtedly had more offensive talent than we did and yet we basically had the same offensive rating. maybe this strategy isn't that bad.

and we're #1 in 3PA but it's not like we take 50 and no one else takes 30. we shoot 44 and something like 5 other teams are all over 38. everyone takes lots of 3's now. literally because we convinced everyone else that it was a good idea with our offensive success.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Honestly thats what people really dont understand.

backwardhead and fckbandwagons like this.
  3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If the dealer has played 10+ face cards or 10’s in the last 8 hands, the likelihood of them busting is lower enough to where you would probably hit on a higher hand than you normally would. The probabilities have shifted because of his the game has played out.

Same with basketball. If you’ve shot 10 3’s the last 12 possessions, then the defense is going to cover it better, and the probability of you making a 3 is a lot lower than it was at the start of the game, potentially making a 2 the higher expected value.

4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

There isn't a plan B. And It's 100% on Daryl Morey. All I can think of is him saying "Welp, we'll take our chances continuing shooting them". Moreyball isn't about basketball strategy. The last competent Rocket coach Rick Adelman, who ran plays & designed a real offense, was ran out my Morey. MDA will be the scapegoat but he's just doing Morey is telling him

saleem likes this.
  5. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

1.Good accuracy > Poor defence & Less rebounds
    2. Grab more rebounds and strong defence > Poor shooting accuracy on 3 points because losing a lot of energy.

It looks like the problem is
    1. Without a center to grab rebounds.
    2. no energy for shooting and defence.

Solution:
    1. Play 12 man rotation for small balls without using Clemons, Harkinstein and Tyson.
    2. Add back a traditional center to play. Give Harkinstein plus Tyson around 5 minutes each game. If it is good , then extend the usage.
    3. Reduce the time for small ball, 50 percent of time using traditional center, 50 percent small ball. Add two more reliable players that MDA trust or get it from buyout market like Lakers and clippers.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

Did you see this game, especially the 0-19 start and how rarely our perimeter guys got past their man when under pressure? I saw Covington literally unable to do anything. And once they do get their past their man, 90% of the time they pass it out again, which teams should know by now and will definitely be a problem in a play-off series. This team is being limited with the lack of a gameplan outside of setting a screen for Harden and then get it back outside the 3pt line or in the lane where only Green really thrives. I really do not understand how we're such a good offensive team, when the eye test says guys are not being put in a position to do much outside of shooting a 3 or dribbling inside the paint to kick it out..

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Rockets are akin to a gamer that spams mostly one single button on his game pad all game.

The gamer loses some games, especially the ones where the opponents strategies and counters well.

But in most of the situations the player spams so much and has become so good at it that it overwhelms most of the opponents.

That's the Rockets and their 3 pointers.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They are both at fault. The coach should be flexible and be in charge. You're right about Adelman being kicked out by the statistician, who hasn't played a lick of ball in his life.

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I personally would start Jeff Green and Demar Carroll. If they suck just bring them back off then bench.I just dont know about House, and tucker seriously. They cant be starting playing like this for damn sure.

10. BigBum

BigBum Member

Can’t win this season.

I’d trade Gordon for 2 players at 7 million dollars each, save 4 million.

then use 6 mil MLE.

now you have 7 man rotation.