1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the game plan when the 3's aren't falling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Kwame Brown is waving...

2. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

The answer is to not ignore the mid-range game.

cheke64 likes this.
  3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Did you not even watch last year Rockets? We had one of the best midrange shooters in NBA history and he proceeded to not even be able to score 20 points against the Warriors until game 6. Dude had 11, 13, and 14 points games 3-5. People crap on Harden but where were those mid rangers people here love so much when the Rockets needed them the most?

People act like mid rangers are easy if they were Chris Paul would be the best player on the planet

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

It wasn't just 3's that weren't falling, we were blowing a ton of layups as well.

bj3175 likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Run for the exits!

6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Make Floaters Great Again

7. bj3175

bj3175 Member

We could ha e won the game by 10 if half those missed layups went in.

pr0wler likes this.
  8. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

That's fine if James Harden buy into the mid-range game, but he doesn't. He always feel like he has to take the 3 point shot., I agree with you. It's nothing wrong with the mid-range game. If your 3's are not dropping, move in a little closer and get a 2 point basket.

pr0wler likes this.
  9. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

None of the shots are easy, but this is one you're getting paid to do, put the ball in the basket. You're a professional basketball player for crying out loud.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's a failed strategy. The delusionals will tell you it's an anomaly or the classic we're 1 small forward away.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes and professional basketball players miss shots. If professional basketball players can always magically make shots then NBA games wouldn't matter.

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can someone show me a team who has a plan B? Ostensibly there are teams out there who will shoot a lot of 3s, but after they decide those 3s are not falling, will then abandon the 3 ball and start doing something else. And as a result of this plan B, the offense will be better. Can anyone cite an example of this happening?

I rarely watch non rockets games. But when I do, I see a whole lot of teams that do the same thing we do. Every team has nights like this. The Bucks just lost a game to Miami earlier this week where they went 7/34 from 3, but I didn't hear this plan B stuff about that game. I'd like if someone could find me an example of a game where a team clearly moves away from 3s and goes to plan B.

HP3, meh and fckbandwagons like this.
  13. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

Defense!!

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

they hide some players as the secret weapon, all star walker, kanter, ....

15. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

We always miss a lot of layups. That's unfortunate. But if we are going to be committed to the small ball game, we must become versatile and pursue a legitimate center so that we're able to capitalize on either system as the game presents itself. We can't allow ourselves to become one dimensional team because everyone will be keying in on us and James will continue to get these double teams every game.

16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The consistent lob threat on short box sets is a consistent nba set used throughout the league.

Harden lacks the lift to successfully execute the elbow jumper so forget about the elbow jumper at this time.

Yeah this team is a crap shoot. The team offense is a gimmick offense. It is a real crap shoot for Dantoni!

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Capela was a constant lob threat, WB occasional one.

DreamShook likes this.
  18. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

bump....I guess the answer is shoot moar 3's. It might help if we knew how to adjust.

19. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

the stubbornness of a MDA system: "[well, we'll make them eventually.]"
    by joining morey and the rockets: "[well, we'll make them eventually. the numbers show it.]"

I will say that at the very least he tried to add another wrinkle into his offense which was posting harden up more. That could work against certain teams, but Dort's fairly solid defensively in that area too, and harden's been reluctant to take his circa 2015 midrange stepback from there. Instead he's trying to power through dort.