1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Worse than usual. We’re going to skip SXSW this year. I’m a little surprised that it hasn’t been canceled.

Surfguy likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The muchismo is real in the Mexican culture.

Sajan and BigM like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hell, Governor Polis (Colorado-Dem) just said at a news conference that he is not changing his behavior, either.

See vid I posted on previous page

He also said asymptotic ppl on airplanes are fine ... low contagious risk for other passengers. And he was referring to a man who flew back from Italy, presenting 2days later and checking into hospital, saying everyone on his flight should be fine and not to worry,

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, definitely agree, I even did the allergy treatments from Texan Allergy and while it made it me better than normal over the last few years - this is always the rough time for me.

We sometimes at least go to some events, but with what I've been seeing and the number of companies pulling out, I can't understand the thought process of not canceling. I think it's a bit concerning too if crowds are lowering like that, especially since in Austin it's really hard to determine if it's the start of a bad cold or just our lovely allergies here.

Fortunately Cedar is on its way out but oak is now coming in/mold etc. The weather this time didn't help w/ allergies constantly flip/flopping hot/cold - I think made it worse than normal.

Anyway, stay safe out there, I'll let you know if I notice anything, but I'm normally in north Austin/RR line.

Deckard likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

This is what the CDC says too, basically.

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Higher chance than normal is what I keep seeing when compared to our regular seasonal flu, but somehow the cdc flipped this stance recently.

For example on Ebola when the guy came here and there was panic he wasn't presenting any symptoms on the flight and no fever - so he wasn't potentially shedding the virus etc (since you're not contagious until actually sick w/ that one), but with this, all the reports were detailing multiple cases before symptoms and after being cured of the virus still being contagious for a bit. I don't think we're going to have a definite answer until a few weeks from now. I'm hoping it's not as contagious as reports we've seen, but I think the motives are now to basically contain panic.

Also, with some of the moves the cdc did - ie remove counts and then add them back (per petition) I am starting to question how on board they are. I think we're underestimating the danger of this one, I mean 1-3 % is a lot higher than the normal 0.1% mortality rate of normal flu. I'm expecting a better grasp on this within the next few weeks, but regardless of that it shows how much of joke we're taking this as, I mean if this were some crazy epidemic, our protocol we've seen so far is we're not prepared. I mean out Dr's can't even get masks...

Deckard likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

WHO:
    Can CoVID-19 be caught from a person who has no symptoms?
    The main way the disease spreads is through respiratory droplets expelled by someone who is coughing. The risk of catching COVID-19 from someone with no symptoms at all is very low. However, many people with COVID-19 experience only mild symptoms. This is particularly true at the early stages of the disease. It is therefore possible to catch COVID-19 from someone who has, for example, just a mild cough and does not feel ill. WHO is assessing ongoing research on the period of transmission of COVID-19 and will continue to share updated findings.

CDC:
    Can someone spread the virus without being sick?
    • People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
    • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

heypartner likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think WHO recently said it's less contagious than the flu (a reason why it can still be contained). I didn't read too much into that so not very sure why since earlier reports indicate it is more contagious.

The lowest death rate I saw was 0.7% (SK, in China outside of Wuhan). So I don't know why someone from the US gov is saying it ranges from 0.1 to 1%, leaving out the higher possibility. That's possible of course, but there is no factual data to back that up AFAIK.

Outside the death rate, the serious / severe / need hospitalization is still very high. Could be a massive strain on the health care system.

We are still blind without much testing. There are anecdotal data that people ask for test, dr ask for them and are rejected because testing is still limited to known contact or travel (and even that is restricted). That increase the risk of spread within family and within community.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, a lot more contagious, I mean I saw one report on the flu, and of course it's no joke either, but it's also been going around for quite some time as we're late into the season here. I want to see the next 2 weeks + to see how it's looking. Seeing a virus that's been here for awhile vs seeing one that's in a new environment changes a lot of things.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely agree with you on all points, I'll be interested to see where we're at in a few weeks, like if we get lucky, and let's say only the weaker strain (let's say there are 2 per other reports), then the outcome will hopefully even better.

11. BleedsRocketRed

Anyone know which essential oils I should get to prevent Coronavirus?

12. Nook

Nook Member

Do you really think they care that much what happens to a single military doctor? It is a win/win situation. If she dies, she is a hero martyr. If she lives she is a hero and standout for the success of the CCP.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The USA isn't going to do much about it other than work on a vaccine. The USA is essentially open borders between their border policy and economic policy. There will be talk of containment but they never expected to be able to do that.

15. Nook

Nook Member

What I expect US political response to be when more cases emerge....

"Fake news, nothing to see. It is a Democrat released virus. Vaccines are free with a $5,000 donation to my campaign and you get a beautiful red hat as well. - Donald Trump

"Epidemic? SARS, we will whip it quick Jack and that is a fact. You hear me brother?" - Joe Biden

"The Corona virus cost me the nomination and it isn't fair. Had I won the election I would have proposed a 5 trillion dollar plan to eradicate this evil virus released by the rich elite to destroy my campaign." - Bernie Sanders

16. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Can't it be more contagious because no one has any existing antibodies for it, but less spreadable than the flu because of the transmission methods?

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

You must not travel much. While the USA could certainly be cleaner in it's habits, it is FAR FAR cleaner that what I have seen everywhere else in the world. Western Europe is pretty clean as well, but the habits I see in the USA also are present in Europe. Try going to Asian countries and you will see stuff that horrifies you, especially in China. Go to India if you dare.... the Middle East.

I do not have a germ phobia but the world as a whole could be a lot cleaner.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

makes sense, but I've no idea :)

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Possibly, haha, it depends on what research you agree with. Regardless great point

20. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

What to do if you are boarding a plane in the age of coronavirus
    PUBLISHED THU, MAR 5 2020 12:45 PM EST UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO

KEY POINTS
    • Medical experts say now is the time to pay extra attention to the health and hygiene rules you likely practice anyway, such as washing your hands often, getting a flu shot, and packing hand sanitizer, tissues and extra supplies of medications.
    • Generally, to avoid germs at the security checkpoint, you should never walk barefoot though the metal detector.
    • And before your flight, “wait in the least crowded areas of the airport and try to stay at least six feet away from anyone else,” said Jonathan Fielding, professor of public health and pediatrics at UCLA.
    Continued...

CCity Zero and JeeberD like this.