1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the psychology of the step-back 3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I'm no Xs & Os guy, but starting off the game with your best player taking so many of what are, in reality, low percentage shots seems like a good way to give the other team a jump start. And once the other team jumps out by 10 to 12 points, now everyone on your team tightens up and suddenly you're down 15 to 20 points. Maybe the risk v. reward dynamic would be more in your favor if your best player was a top tier 3 point shooter, but that is not the case for us.

I wonder what the Darryl's numbers say about the step-back 3. I know he loves the 3 ball, but this particular shot by this particular player at the beginning of games seems completely unsupportable. In year's past, a step-back 3 would appear to be some kind of heat check. I surmise that starting games with heat check-type shots, especially against heavyweight opponents, is our main problem - which is very frustrating considering it's something that could easily be altered in theory.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden had a very large sample size of shooting close to 40% on stepback threes...he shot 40% on stepback threes in last year’s playoffs

Before this extended slump, it was the most dangerous shot in the game. That is why Milwaukee and Utah did their “play from behind” defense, and 1 of the main reasons why teams started doubling him constantly. They did not want him to be able to get them off.

Claiming that stepback threes is our main problem is past the point of being a huge reach. Sorry, but I doubt many will buy that.

3. Furious Jam

I am questioning the timing of them at the start of games. I think our guys come out flat because they're just watching James dribble at the top of the key and then stepping back. LeBron, Kawhi, and other stars don't try to "take over" early in the first quarter. You are bringing up stats, I'm talking about psychology and chemistry.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

And yet many will buy this stupidity because they dont understand nuances of the game.

Watch them eat up this moronic idea with a spoon and shyte eating grin thinking they are smarter than Rockets braintrust because they watched some games on TV.

Reeko likes this.
  5. Mr. Space City

the problem isn't james shooting stepback 3's, the problem is james going cold early, and continuing to chuck them, and finishing the game with 10+ misses from 3.

harden is a streaky shooter. when he's on fire early he's lights out, and carries that momentum throughout the game, but when cold, he stays cold. there is barely no inbetween.

that extreme variation in his shooting is why he continues to hover around 36-37% from 3.

Crashlanded19, fchowd0311 and ksny15 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

it doesn’t even make sense to me

What are all these games where a team jumped out to an early 10 or 12 point lead on us, and u can sit there and point to Harden bricking a few stepback threes as being the main reason for that deficit?

The 3 point stepback was the deadliest weapon in the game striking fear in opposing players and coaches all across the league up until January where he hit the worst slump of his entire career. Milwaukee and Utah throwing out their entire regular defensive schemes and principles just to try and stop him from getting it off is proof of that. He shot 38% on them last season, and was hitting them at a good rate until the slump. It’s imperative that he starts hitting it at a good clip again.

D-rock likes this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

Last night I was at the gym playing with guys and the best one on my team took like 10-15 threes from way back. I packed my **** and went to shower early. And in the NBA most of these guys were stars most of their lifes... then they go without touching the ball and watching James jack up bullshit shots with Kawhi in his face lol Russ at least hustles to make up for misses and bad passes

8. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Completely agree. When Harden did that on the first play all I said was, "Come on...." as he bricked it. While he's earned the right previously to be able to use that in his repertoire, if it's not working he HAS TO STOP and do something else, and it definitely should be used at the beginning of a game for no reason. Move the ball, involve the team, use it later.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

My eyeballs say the stepback is no longer the weapon it was. He used to catch the opponent offguard and use it to create space. He is doing a worse job at springing it on the opponent. They know its coming and contest.

We need designed action that creates catch and shoot opportunities for him from the 3 point line. That will push his %(and hopefully momentum) the right way.

ksny15 likes this.
  10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

This is what people won't understand. There is no variation in his game anymore. When he is cold and chucking he doesn't try to get anything else off. He continues to shoot step back 3s. You are not going to magically get hot. You've been cold for months now. Morey and MDA should be in his ear telling him to find alternative ways to score.... The problem with that is this is their brainchild. 3s and drives. Nothing else. 17-18 was our shot. This system and specifically the way James currently is will not win a ring. Then you add this small ball into the equation.. Yikes.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  11. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I prefer he uses the step back in the midrange. That would be deadly and would help harden drive to the lane. Defender won’t be able to recover. And if the player steps up to defend tight, he can drive by.

I used to love step back 3
    Now I hate it. Seems like they never go in anymore.

hakeem94 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Maaaan this loss wasn’t on James. The TEAM shot terrible from 3. That was the problem. Going 2-22 in a half will get yo ass beat by anybody. On to the next game...

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

If you want to talk psychology, you should talk about what happens if Harden hits early stepback 3s. Defenses suddenly zone in (even more) on Harden, needing to double team him, leaving another player completely open. Harden then passes the ball to those players, and those players suddenly have many options (shoot the open 3, drive it in to force another "player wide open" situation, etc).

If Harden misses it, it can lead to disaster. But if Harden makes it, it demoralizes the defense.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Furious Jam

100% this. He's not getting the same separation on it.

I'm not saying that James is lazy, but this is an easier shot where he doesn't have to diagnose what's going on or get hit when driving inside, plus it aligns with our 3 pointers mantra. So I get it. But the effectiveness of it just isn't there and it hasn't been there for quite some time now. If everyone wants to applaud Russ for becoming more efficient (as well they should), then why does James get a pass for the same routine no matter what the result?

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Does Harden ever use the step back as a dupe to drive instead of just trying to draw the foul?

I feel that is the counter, next evolution.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's got to utilize mid range and floaters. He has become so predictable that teams are going Spurs-2017 and just leaving him those shots because they know he won't take it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Furious Jam

Man I completely forgot about the floater! It was so crafty and nearly automatic. Harden is so talented, so able to score in so many ways, it frustrates me as a fan to see him fixate on this one move that seems to have diminishing returns.

J Sizzle and hakeem94 like this.