1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yea, credibility problem...

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

it's ok, it's always Obama's fault, including the crime bill of 1994

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

coronavirus a "win for the environment":

https://theweek.com/articles/899439/coronavirus-environmental-wakeup-call

excerpt:

It's not just air travel. People are canceling cruise trips after 3,711 passengers and crew members were quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess off the coast of Japan due to the virus. Another win for the environment, since people on a seven-day cruise produce roughly the same carbon footprint as they would during 18 days on land, not to mention the damage that ships wreak on fragile ocean ecosystems. Even getting into a car and going to a restaurant, shopping mall, or concert poses a risk of infection, which means that many people are choosing to stay at home and consuming less, resulting in a significant reduction of their carbon footprints. This year started with much discussion about sustainable travel and many public figures pledging not to fly, such as Australian Yael Stone. In the end, though, nothing is more sustainable than not to traveling at all.​

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Right?

I was wise enough to marry mine nearly ten years ago.

Nook, RayRay10 and bobrek like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

coronavirus "fantastic for the environment":

"Neither Greenpeace, nor Greta Thunberg, nor any other individual or collective organization have achieved so much in favor of the health of the planet in such a short time."​

https://www.science20.com/martin_lo...ronavirus_for_the_health_of_the_planet-245939

excerpt:

It is possibly too soon to arrive at conclusions concerning the consequences of the new sickness, but at present we see the great impact the topic is having on the mass media and how this is being transmitted into certain drastic decisions that affect the smooth functioning of our society, particularly the economy. We see a reduced production in Chinese industry, which has resulted in a huge drop in China's pollution. We also see that many international conferences, summits or events that concentrate thousands of individuals from different countries are being cancelled or made virtual because of the fear of extending the infection of coronavirus. This is happening in tech, business, science, and other sectors, even museums and Disneyland in several places in Asia. Venice, in the distant past a lovely town of canals, but converted in recent decades into a pathetic unpleasant attraction park with mass tourism of 20-30 million visits per year, is now deathly silent. What a respite for the Venetians! What good news for the ecologists and tourist-haters! This positively affects the reduction of CO2 emission and the whole wave the destruction associated with holiday and professional conference tourism. Possibly not so good for airline companies or travel agencies. It is certainly not very good for the economy in general, but it is fantastic for the environment.​

6. NewRoxFan

This tweet started out so strong... "Nearly 17..."? What was it, 16 and a quarter?

B-Bob and arkoe like this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe mike bloomberg was tested.

Pole and foh like this.
  8. WNBA

WNBA Member

They might have tested an immigrant or a woman.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

What are we talking about, hand sizes?

10. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, his mom.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I've grounded my helicopter.

Everybody has to make sacrifices.

12. foh

foh Member

Some (strangely unidentified) federal health officials estimate mortality rate to be below 1%. Hope the anonymous sources are right, but isn't this way weird to quote specific stats without presenting the source of information? I don't take WSJ editorials seriously but this is their health section article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-message-on-virus-draws-scrutiny-11583444157

Mr. Trump said he had a “hunch” it was lower than 3.4%, noting that there could be many undiagnosed cases.

“You never hear about those people. So, you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and—or virus,” Mr. Trump said.

Federal health officials estimated Thursday that the mortality rate for the novel coronavirus is between 0.1% and 1%, lower than estimates of other health organizations. “The WHO numbers that you see do not take into account the people who don’t come into contact with the medical facility,” said Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

13. NewRoxFan

Coronavirus more deadly than seasonal flu, US health officials say
    Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infection Diseases said Wednesday the coronavirus is 10 times more deadly than the seasonal flu.
    Published on Mar 04, 2020
    https://thehill.com/changing-americ...-coronavirus-more-deadly-than-seasonal-flu-us

Fauci says it’s still too early to determine U.S. death rates from coronavirus outbreak

PUBLISHED WED, MAR 4 202012:17 PM EST UPDATED WED, MAR 4 202012:50 PM EST
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/fau...etermine-us-death-rates-from-coronavirus.html

14. foh

foh Member

You'd think they'd have a standardized way to ascertain level of risk at WHO and CDC, like in movie Contagion or whatever.

Instead, all these articles remind me of Trump's tweets.

CDC and government is crap. Hospitals reporting shortages of masks is crazy to me - don't they stash generators. Then why not some infectious desease equipment (ie simple masks.) Can't manage a crisis for ****. Better stay calm though.

15. malakas

malakas Member

I saw that the USA has tested "nearly" 17 people in a state of population 6 millions.

I am surprised that you are all so calm and accepting.

This is criminal negligence in my opinion.

USA is the wealthiest country in the world so no economical excuses.

Democracy so no political excuses of an authorative government suppressing the truth.

Advanced pharma and medical industry so no excuse of lacking scientific knowledge.

So the only result is criminal negligence and any american citizen should be outraged. IMO.

I am not here to give lessons but 300 million people are left in the hands of irresponsible criminals. And nothing is done about it.

RayRay10, Nook, FrontRunner and 2 others like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

negligence becomes a thriving business. Start investing in healthcare stocks.

Cutbacks in cdc?
    Cutbacks in Obamacare programs?
    Cutbacks in resource allocation to WHO?

Trim the fat. **** you. Pay me tax cuts.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Many healthcare systems have been trimmed and got cutbacks because of economical reasons ie the UK and France.

But this takes the cake.
    This is a crime against american citizens.
    How can you have such low standards? I don't understand you.
    How can your politicians post on social media that they tested 17 people out of 6 millions like it's a proof that the system is working? No shame?
    This is the standards of a 3rd world country like Zimbabwe.

At least I see that the ratio of ICU beds to people is not terrible so that's good and it will show in the next month how important it is.
    Provided people can actually get the healthcare and not leaving these ICU units empty.

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

How many people in the US will be saddled with healthcare debt after this?

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Why do I get the feeling that if they asked if you if you have recently travelled and you answer that you were just in Mexico you would get tested so fast your head would spin?

20. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member