1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Tuesday Predictions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Feb 26, 2020.

1. foh

foh Member

Warren was attacking too much in the last two debates as did Sanders. They paid the price for it.

Establishment is needed to protect our values from usurpers driven by the ephemeral winds of time. If there is staying power behind Bernie's message and it takes over previously democratic electorate, then he should be able to overcome the inertness of said establishment.

It's hard for me to appreciate your argument of Bernie being an idealist and hence not having any coalition. Even assuming that he is on the farthest of the spectrum of political spectrum, there have got to be significant politicians there that are closer to him than to Biden. AOC is one I heard of and even she is was having some tensions with Bernie if you believe the media.

If you are alone and are proud of it, then you have little chance in politics. That's probably why they refer to Bernie as a revolutionist.

Trump has revolutionized GOP but he never really pretended to be an ideologue or was aloof.

Both are extreme populists but one is POTUS right now (and after his first try at that). And I'm definitely not trying to say that Trump is better person, but he might be a better politician.

Jayzers_100, joshuaao and JayZ750 like this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Comapre that to Biden's endorsements and you got pretty much nothing, and almost nothing from the healthcare community.

I wish people knew more.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'll vote for Biden, but jeez, what a disaster running Hillary 2.0. I have no confidence that he can beat Trump. There is absolutely nothing exciting about a Joe Biden candidacy

mikol13 likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Endorsements from unions? Sure not surprising.

I'm with you there. My current company didn't exist pre-ACA because low income people with psychiatric conditions and organ transplants weren't being adequately served. Due to ACA and its requirement these low income folks, who require a considerable amount of more work to get their expensive medications covered due to fraud, waste, and abuse, are doing better in states where medicaid was expanded. State governments contract out "pharmacy benefits managers/PBM" to the private sector. Dealing with both the public and private side, it's amusing how many incorrect beliefs folks have about healthcare.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Next you will tell him he is a racist misogynist and xenophobic because he didnt vote for your team.

And you wonder why democrats are struggling so bad this election. People are tired of your mentality.

7. Major

Major Member

There doesn't need to be. This is good commentary:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...s-didn-t-pick-my-candidate-and-I-respect-that

The voters didn't pick my candidate, and I respect that

I openly supported Elizabeth Warren this primary season, and still do! But it’s obvious by now that she won’t be our nominee. Despite the best efforts of so many, and for any number of reasons, the voters had other ideas.

Rural, white Iowa had other ideas, picking Pete Buttigieg and Bernie Sanders. New Hampshire had other ideas, picking those two while giving a lift to Amy Klobuchar. Nevada and its Latinos went for Bernie. South Carolina decisively said, “JOE gets the Black vote.” And just like that, what was expected to be a day for Sanders to amass a delegate lead turned into a decisive and race-ending Biden rout.

Nowhere, in any of those contest, did Warren figure. Not even in her own home state of Massachusetts.

This race isn’t over, and there’s no reason Biden and Bernie shouldn’t keep fighting it out (and maybe even Warren, to keep her voice in the debates and maybe get some convention leverage). But looking at what’s left on the map, it’s pretty clear that Biden is likely to be the nominee.

I’m not at peace with Biden being the nominee. Not because of electability issues (I’ve long maintained that all our candidates are electable), but because of ideology and policy. I’m never going to be “excited” about Biden.

But you know what? I don’t need to be excited. Too many people act like picking a president is like picking a partner, or an American Idol winner. It’s not. You don’t need to be in love. You just have to fight for the candidate that will be better for America. And none of our candidates would put kids in cages.

If you want to be “excited,” there are plenty of down-ballot candidates who will light this place on fire. We can continue building a bench so that we have those better choices in the future. We also need the Senate for all the obvious reasons (No. 1: The Supreme Court.) But our job is to beat Trump, and whether it’s Biden, or whether Bernie somehow pulls off a miracle, we’ll need to rally. (We can save the policy battles—and there will be plenty—for after we win.)

Had Warren won the nomination, I would’ve hoped that the supporters of the rest of the field would come together and fight for the common good. It’s only right and fair that I extend that same courtesy to the eventual winner of this primary.

You don’t have to love Biden to fight to free kids from cages, and to ensure a liberal replacement for Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court. This isn’t about you or me. It’s not about what makes you “feel” better. With 22 candidates in the field, the odds were always stacked against our candidate winning.

This is about our country. And right now, we have to defeat Republicans from the top of the ballot on down. That’s the only thing that matters.

8. Major

Major Member

Democrats aren't struggling. They are having extremely high turnout, are turning out the 2018 coalition that crushed the GOP, and have basically coalesced around their candidate quicker than they did in 2008 or 2016.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

There have been tons of articles showing how Sande's health care plans benefit the country, Joe doesnt have ****.....he has next to nothing or it might as well be nothing. And Union workers endorsing Sanders is definitely a plus from me, dude is out to help working class people not be taken advantage of by corporations.

Yea I know......if people would just read a little more from the right sources, we woulndt be in this situation today.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Oh please all this crap is being said now, its a whole different ball game in the general election. Trump is gonna attack Biden relentlessly, lets just hope he doesnt make a fool out of himself like he has this entire campaign.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am quoting now the exact quote you responded to with the above:

Now where do I call him a racist? Where do I call him a misogenist? Where do I call him xenophopic? Where in that do I even suggest or even hint at either?

Amazing that you would make such accusations. I'll chock it up to you having a horrible day.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right, we should not be running victory laps just yet.

The GOP right now has scoreboard. They've had more governors (So they can suppress votes and draw wacky maps), hold the Senate, have the SCOTUS, and the White house. As of right now the GOP is winning.

Democrats, liberals, DNC, need to approach this election as if it is the 4th quarter and we are down ten, not up 20, and scrap and fight for every possession and cherish every point. It was nice to make up ground with the governors and local elections in 2018, great to get congress back, but all we've done is got the lead back down to 10, still a lot of work left to be done.

I hope that Joe is going to be strong down ballot at the very least.

HP3 likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

People in traditionally Democrat districts having to wait hours to vote after locations were closed, and cornyn blames lazy voters not voting early...

14. Major

Major Member

What does that have to do with whether Democrats are struggling in this election?

15. HP3

HP3 Member

That coalition in 2018 was supposed to be bigger, people were hoping for a blue wave to get the House and the Senate. Like all this blue wave talk is never enough of what people hype it up to be.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great point John.

As long as 12% percent of voters do something **** the other 88% because "**** you" , the new GOP platform.

I hope you keep up this Galaxy brain level math genius during your reelection.

17. Major

Major Member

What are you even talking about? The blue wave in 2018 was the arguably the biggest wave in many generations. The beat all the predictions in the House and I believe they missed the Senate by 1 seat (the map was heavily set up against them) - they lost the Florida seat by less than 1% if I remember correctly. They won House seats they hadn't won in generations. They overperformed in governorships and state houses. I'm not sure what more you wanted. And I'm not sure how any of that shows that Dems are struggling in this election.

ElPigto and Jayzers_100 like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Eh you're right those numbers are better than I thought. I still just thought it would turn out better than it did. But you are right.
    My point is to say thinking Biden is in a better position to win this...is not a certainty at all. Its very hard for the incumbent to lose. Also its been show that the more people got to know Biden THE MORE THEY DID NOT LIKE HIM. He is a trash candidate. His policies dont excite anyone, its all out of name brand attachment to Obama, not actually knowing anything about him a candidate, and hating Trump. I honestly dont think that is enough to win He's male Hilary.

19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Were Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, George Bush (either one), Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, etc “exciting” candidates to anyone? Lol I guess there’s an assumption that you need an Obama, Trump, Bernie type spectacle to win president from now on. No, it just takes someone sensible to win. Super exciting candidates certainly help. But some of us look at people who can govern and are attracted to that. Amy didn’t have sweeping ideas but she excited me because she can unite people. I like Mitt Romney even; thought 2012 was a great year for presidential candidates. There are a lot of people above the fray and we don’t have to spout our idols on Twitter, we make our choices in the voting booth. In fact, I think most of America is looking for a president that is normal and agreeable

Major likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member