1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cloudng8, Mar 3, 2020.

1. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

The Demo dropped yesterday, anyone had a chance to check it out? I played through it twice and cant wait for the release. Battle system was a lot smoother than I was expecting and visuals were stunning.

Yung-T and Nigel Thornberry like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm waiting for the full release because my hype reached maxed capacity a while back.

My favorite game of all time, and there's not a close second. Probably my most anticipated game ever.

3. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yep probably my fav single player game of all time as well...although Xcom2:battle of the chosen and Dragon Age Origins were pretty close as far as total time played goes. I’ll probably get it when it comes out.

4. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I enjoyed the hell out of the demo. DEFINITE first-day pickup for me!

5. Nigel Thornberry

The release day got pushed back to April 10th right?

6. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

Yes! Correct, I don't believe it will be pushed back again. *Crosses fingers* lol.

Nigel Thornberry likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So have they finally stated how many episodes? Hopefully release schedule is paced good (I realize this is a full game) but liked the events after more - also, do character levels transfer to the next episode? Assuming after the midgar part it's open world still. So not just final hallway/corridor 13. It should be great.

Also, FF 4 (especially the hard version) or 6 - both story/pace I think aged better vs 7, but 7 at release was definitely a pioneer. I just prefer a challenge on rpg (hardmode on 4 at least gives you a taste as does ds remake of 3... 7 though at the time (again, was great) , I just didn't like how easily the game became broken. I know you can do this to a degree on all rpgs but this was just absurd level of easiness. On 6 for example I've done the run where you end with 3 characters and skip the rest. I also liked the 1st original game (ff1) but no story, but final section is definitely a Challenge like FF3 (re-release)

I prefer story and then a challenge on selections (again, I will get it, but need to know post Midgar part). Also, on Xcom mentioned earlier, try the original x-com from 94 if you like those. I liked the new ones too but basically had to play on Ironman mode. The original was unforgiving if you made silly mistakes (and I feel even though it's old in game standards offered a ton more things - managing funding - bases - soldiers, it was a lot different in that way, but I enjoyed there was at least an ironman mode offered on the new ones, so I definitely liked them.

Also, I'm not hating on 7, I just reallllllly want to know release schedule/how character dev transfers, but let's face it, with life in general I don't know how far I'd get if it were all released at once, so maybe this is better to have it spaced.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No game would benefit more from a remake than 6. It's story and gameplay hold up every bit as well as 7-10, quite better in a some cases (looking at you 8) but the old school 2D pixel graphics are an immediate turnoff to a lot of younger players.

At least 7 still has some playability to modern gamers. It wouldn't even have to be a major blockbuster like 7 remake, just a fully 3D update.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Games in general aren't hard anymore. Aside from a few select titles, they are extremely easy. Even most challenge modes aren't particularly difficult. RPG's have been bitten by super easy mode more than all the other genre's.

The 1-6 were all substantially harder in general than 7-15, which can be completely broken very easily. Back in the day, even if you took time to level up you could randomly get your ass kicked. If you got Knights of the Round or Omnislash you could literally beat every boss in one move save for the 2 hidden weapons.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah definitely agree, don't get me wrong, I just liked the challenge 1- 6, (the 2 that came out later over here was crazy regarding the leveling - action/spell/damage use and no character levels etc. That one I got far on but didn't finish, and there was a crazy game breaking bug, but if you didn't do it - was kind of interesting since later rpgs have somewhat incorporated the spell/weapon use increasing skill/proficiency

The one game recently that at least seemed old style rpg challenge would be Octopath Traveler - final end game boss (that wasn't even easy to get to logically find, the story seemed broken in comparison FFs 4-15), the way the party split works at final section basically requires you to have all characters ready. It was a bit grindy to do it but was interesting to see it return, again I just wish the characters stories all came together better. But it reminded me of the final section of FF1 or FF3 (later release here/remake), just insanely long section and unforgiving if not equipped.

Only other games I can think of are Souls series games (obviously action rpg, so not traditional), and most recent one I started - completely different game but hollow knight has been giving me challenge.

And again, don't get me wrong, I'm basically a FF nerd and am stoked for 7 remake. I just really want to know release schedule and hoping for like a character transfer or something between episodes. I remember some old school pc games like d&d Dark Sun letting you move characters to the Sequel (obviously other examples out there) Also, I'm excited for baldur's gate too... Haha sorry for off-topic.

Again, def agree - games are easier in general except for a few small releases. And on ff7 you nailed it regarding what I meant, KoR and other things you mentioned just wrecked the game. I still enjoyed it though for sure. Also, those hidden weapons are exactly the challenge I sometimes want... I beat Emerald one but don't recall if I did Ruby, this was probably 20 years ago at this point... I know for sure though Emerald, that was a crazy fight. Reminds me of a few close calls on final sections of 1 and 3/4 (both the harder versions ds remakes).

Man, I'd love a 6 remake!!

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

FF6 way better than VII. Play 6 on a rom/emulator with a "hard patch" mod. So nice.

12. Beezy

Beezy Member

The demo was pretty good. Looks better than I was expecting on my non-Pro PS4. It's hard to not get chills when hearing the music.

I bought some Crunch bars from HEB (3 for $1) for the promo DLC and dynamic theme they're offering here:
    https://butterfingerff7r.com/
    I got the theme code already, it's pretty nice.

Play Final Fantasy VII on PC with the New Threat mod if you want a complete FF7 gameplay overhaul with increased difficulty.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Aw. I can only upvote this once. :p

While someone who's as big into games as me picking a single GOAT game seems kinda impossible, original X-Com would be it for me, gun to my head. While the reboots are good games in their own right, the lack of tactical and strategic options compared to the original meant I didn't enjoy them as much the first time, and also that ALL the replayability was gone.

True that stuff mostly isn't hard anymore, but that's both good and bad. Games being super-difficult back in the day largely stemmed from two factors:
    1. Coin-op origins: the arcade machine makes more money if you gotta spend more quarters to keep playing.
    2. Technical limitations: low-spec machines means you can't make super-long games, older interfaces had fewer buttons, and you couldn't get by just on visual or audio appeal. So the best way to extend playtime was to focus on gameplay and make things real challenging so you didn't beat it too fast and get bored.
    I think there's difficulty that can still be found out there if you look hard enough, but I don't even bother to seek it out anymore, personally. And I used to be the guy who played everything on the hardest difficulty.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

On FF1 at the end of the game I believe there is a fight you can randomly come across that is harder than the last boss. Something like that.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Wait... How much does it change it? And is it a good challenge? I loved the harder ones (especially the ds remake 3 and 4 with the harder difficulty), I honestly wish when they released 2 originally (so technically 4) , the one we got on the snes wasn't close to what it could have been.

I've played 4 (and to an extent 6) a ridiculous amount (variations too). Like as mentioned to make 6 even harder originally I just got the 3 req'd chars chars and beat it - it's interesting watching the ending with it all screwed up, key segments are different or missing entirely.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh man...the mods for 6 are tremendous.

Go to ff6hacking.com I think they have it there but there are lots of them if you google. Graphic fixes to original Japanese graphics. And the bosses are much harder. There are scalable mods though so you can get one that's a little harder or one that is WAY harder. Some of them remove items or nerf spells.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No love for FF 8 in here? :(

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Absolutely agree with you on everything! On overall difficulty of games changing too, but X-Com would have to be my GOAT, absolutely love that game! I mean when the game came out in 94, it was absolutely amazing at the amount of things they were able to put into one game at the time (like essentially multiple games in one). Especially how random everything was, it becomes really tense on trying to keep up/manage everything and then the maps - I felt overall it always being more complete/exciting vs the new ones. Like on the newer ones when I played I got bored w/ the procedural intro of clumps of aliens you'd encounter, but on the old one it was great, like you'd possibly get shot at or encounter an alien you couldn't see until you had just the right view. And they might or might not be together, just amazing.

I also still remember a total loss... I went back to mess around on the original game a few years ago after rolling through the newer one.. So I'm getting guys off the ship and felt I moved enough out to start - especially with guys further toward the back/size of the mission it was. End turn more early than normal/hadn't seen any aliens (obviously not paying the GOAT respect in comparison to the new ones). Next turn over half the squad wiped out instantly... Alien threw a perfect grenade into the ship. Over half my team dead.. Turn 2, being this was very early/few hours in on a true hard run..

Let's say I was overconfident but my squad wasn't... Haha, it basically triggered an entire downward spiral. I hadn't saved in forever, I tried to recover the mission, but my soldiers all panic for what seems like multiple turns, a rookie soldier instead of dropping gear causes more panic killing a few more of my squad - including the lead captain.

I couldn't even get the last rookie back to the ship. So total Loss and with it being my only transport and on hard I just had to start over especially w/ what happened next.. they actually attacked my base within the next few days, I mean I ordered supplies but was waiting for ammo to show up.. And only had 4 soldiers left from the last devastating encounter (all rookies and waiting for more). - So w/ more soldiers on the way, transport, ammo and... Then this attack happening before the reinforcements arrived/ammo (I mean I was even in the process of finishing a damn basic base defense)... I was screwed. I tried the best I could using grenades etc and to get weapons from the aliens but it was an absolute massacre.

I've never lost a game like that and it was a reminder of how great the original was. The newer ones seriously don't come close. I mean sure the graphics are impressive but all of the tactical/resource management/everything in general is just missing. I mean I wasn't even really mad at that point but more impressed at how quickly it all fell apart from one single grenade, this as I watched the very bad ending images/text you get.

So I always try to highly recommend it, I don't know if it's nostalgia or what, but that game is amazing. I actually managed to find the box/game/manual in mint condition a few years back that I originally bought and now have it on my home office shelf. It's something I am going to keep for sure.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This sounds badass man, thanks for the heads up, I'm going to try it out hopefully soon.

justtxyank likes this.