1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

Why is everything so melodramatic with you people.

astros123 likes this.
  2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

What do you mean, "you people"

Also, do you disagree with the aforementioned statement? I'll attempt to less-dramatize it: "This is the establishment's attempt to hold power a while longer as the winds of change blow stronger"

It's not out of the ordinary for candidates to drop out and subsequently endorse the front-runner in hopes of getting a position in that administration, but for two of them to do it the day before voting (with 30% of the delegates at stake) sure looks suspicious.

It seems pretty clear to me, given the results for the Republicans in 2016 that the establishment couldn't retain its grip as well as the DNC in '16 and again here in '20 is trying to avert something similar.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does it look suspicious?

Could those candidates who dropped out just have different opinions on who would be the best democratic nominee, why is that suspicious?

Bernie got most of the stuff he wanted changed in the DNC before the race yet now the DNC is plotting against him.

The winds of change are blowing stronger? This is the melodramatic stuff I am talking about.

Who exactly is the establishment?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

"The establishment" is such a weird boogeyman.

In this case the "establishment" and the "billionaire class" that Bernie is railing against the last few days that are trying to stop him are black people in South Carolina. No democratic establishment came together to give Joe Biden a resounding victory, it was black people. Every day black voters. Going into South Carolina there was talk that Biden might barely win and that Pete and Amy and Bloomberg had made in roads with the black voters there. That was a viable argument for them then that Biden might have to drop out after SC and they could become the candidate.

That didn't happen. Black voters shut that stuff down and delivered an incredibly emphatic victory for Joe Biden that made it clear there was no viable path to the presidency for Pete or Amy. There is no conspiracy there.

astros123 and baller4life315 like this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That section goes on to say: "He disliked the conservative racial politics of incumbent Democratic Governor of Delaware Charles L. Terry and supported a more liberal Republican, Russell W. Peterson, who defeated Terry in 1968.[24] The local Republicans tried to recruit him, but he resisted due to his distaste for Republican presidential candidate Richard Nixon, and registered as an Independent instead.[24]

"Feeling like a Republican" in 1968 was a different proposition than feeling like Republican in 2020. Southern Strategy kicks off in the 1964 election, and there was a lot of party migration over the next decade. Biden is so old, a lot of ish went down over the course of his lifetime. I don't know that it'd really have been a feather in his cap if he instead associated with democratic Governor Terry who deployed the National Guard to put down race riots and student protests in 1967-8.

Anyway, this is all pretty irrelevant. Tulsi isn't qualified to be president, I don't care how faithful she is.

EDIT: The Republican Governor Biden supported, Russell Peterson, enacted environmentalist legislation taking on Shell), advanced racial integration of the police, relaxed abortion restrictions, opened housing policy, and ran budget deficits. He'd have been a Democrat in 2020. In fact, he started endorsing Democratic presidential candidates in 1988 and formally switched himself in 1996.

#2845 JuanValdez, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    justtxyank likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm against establishment candidates...

Fervently supports 78 year old who's been a politician over half his life.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the polices are the point along with the consistency in expressing them. I don't think age and career choice is the motivational factor here.

I mean are you implying that Bernie is establishment?

ryan_98 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Voters consume media. People with more influence and clout can frame narratives more efficiently in the media than those with less influence.

This really isn't some grand consipracy. It's again, human nature.

I mean if we want to go into actual substance, what makes Joe Biden more preferable than Bernie in terms of policy and rhetoric?

9. ryan_98

Supporting Member

The establishment are those who hold power and influence. In this case, Tom Perez, Chris Korge, and many others who stand to gain or lose power, influence and money by allowing someone like Bernie to win.

To be clear, suspicious isn't used in the criminal sense. This type of quid-pro-quo defines politics. As I mentioned above, it's not that Pete and Amy would endorse Biden that's suspicious; it's the timing of it that is.

Hypothetically, had they stayed in through today and gotten the delegates that the polls were projecting, it would have likely meant that no candidate would achieve the 1,991 minimum to win the nomination.

So, I'll restate what was mentioned on page 142, it's short-sighted thinking by the DNC and the establishment to try to once again retain power and dictate the winner (attempted with Clinton in '08 and did so in '16 and Biden now) rather than allowing its members to decide OR go to a messy brokered convention.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait what?

Tom Perez would not lose his job at the DNC if Bernie is president, he would have no sway on the leadership.

The DNC membership did decide they voted for Perez as the DNC chair, you really are not making any sense.

The messy convention are the rules if nobody gets a majority, do you want Perez to actually change the rules in Bernies favor?

How does that make any sense especially when Bernie wanted those rules in 2016?

So this power retention thing are todays talking points, right?

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Great point.

And it' why Bernie is not expanding his electorate, he is becoming very one note.

baller4life315 likes this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I just voted for Bernie Sanders in the Democrat primary here in Houston. I am 'Feeling the Bern'!

Any other right leaning folks out there who are with me? Are you 'Feeling the Bern' today?

So, just for clarification purposes, does this mean I am a Democrat now? :)

#2852 MojoMan, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    ryan_98 likes this.
  13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Michael Bloomberg is doubling down. He says he is not getting out of the race, regardless of the fact that the Democrat party establishment has picked their candidate - Joe Biden - and is clearly moving to push everyone else out of the race in order to fight of the candidacy of Bernie Sanders.

Bloomberg: I’m not dropping out

The former mayor of New York insists he belongs in the Democratic field. Yes, he’s a Democrat. No, he shouldn’t drop out.

A defiant Mike Bloomberg beat back criticism of himself and his campaign Monday in a Fox News town hall, arguing that he is, indeed, a Democrat and has no reason to follow fellow moderates Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar out of the presidential race.

“I am a registered Democrat, and last time I checked, you could change parties,” Bloomberg said at his town hall in Manassas, Va., a Super Tuesday state.

He argued that Democrats will want him because of his positions on taxes, climate change and guns, not to mention the money he’s poured into such causes and the Democratic House candidates he helped fund in the 2018 midterms.​

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

15. ryan_98

Supporting Member

You've conflated two different points and made assumptions so maybe that's where the confusion is coming from. o_O

It doesn't say Perez would lose his job, does it? He would certainly lose some clout if Bernie were the primary winner. Historically the nominee has gotten a large say upon becoming the candidate and there are clear differences between Sanders and the standard Democrat platform.

The members mentioned above refer to those who vote in the primary. Those votes are assigned to delegates who then vote for a particular candidate at the convention.

Now, I'm speculating that the DNC offered or pressured Amy and Pete to get out now so that voters would have fewer choices and coalesce around Biden. You don't seem to agree with my conjecture, which is fine.

Agree or not, does this clear up my previous posts?

I tend to agree with you and others that Bernie has seemed to have topped out. Will that prevent him from getting the delegate minimum? Tonight will be telling.

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

No, just a hypocritical ******* or typical Trump supporter...:)

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

You mad, bro?

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Could you come up with something a little more unique? Eh, I guess not...

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't agree that the DNC offered or pressured anybody I don't think they have that kind of sway, so let's just agree to disagree.

Yes, tonight will be very telling.

ryan_98 likes this.