1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN rank Zion, Luka, Tatum

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigBum, Feb 26, 2020.

?

Who will be the best young player?

1. Tatum, Steven A pick

13 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Luka, Jay Williams pick

82 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Zion, Max pick

28 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Why are you asking people to be logical when your arguments aren’t logical?

“Luka has holes in his game” is not viable rational for determining his impact on the basketball court, yet that’s your entire premise.

Does Trae or Luka contribute to winning more? What’s their on/off? What’s their +/-? PER? VAR?

Koper at least knows what these are, he just ignores all evidence that doesn’t support Luka. You, on the other hand, don’t use any evidence at all to back your claims that are independent of factors like minutes played.

Both of you are arguing in poor faith, and neither of you are logical.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Read into all of my statements made before accusing me. There’s quite a few people on this fan site like you that like to assume and accuse jumping to conclusions. Did I say statistics was the only thing I base on when comparing the two? The question on the board was who do I think is the best player and I said trae young. Let me repeat “who is the best young player” given the choices. I didn’t state my reasons I ranked them. There’s no requirement for rationale here. I could put together a long assessment but that’s not for here and now. We’re you trying to prove something hy mentioning those statistics? If it is to show off your knowledge then that’s a shame because that’s not even in the conversation and you completely missed the point which was making guys better is not a real measurement. There’s nothing that supports that other than conjecture unless you have first hand knowledge. Read read read understand comprehend stop making judgements stop making judgements

#62 Stephen_A, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  3. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Luka got his torch from Nowitzki. He's European and white, not sure he can be the face of NBA (yet) if even Giannis isn't.

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

He's clearly a troll and I'm sorry I got led to responding to him.

I was only answering his questions, so I believe I sound illogical at times.

In the department of getting his teammates better though...Luka is responsible for 55% of points, via his scoring or assists, on a historically great offensive team. Not sure how can anyone compare this to Young's team...

MorningZippo likes this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

you both didn’t read or comprehended what I said so I leave it at that. Now there’s more numbers added to a discussion when it wasn’t even about those numbers in the first place but measuring of “making people better”. Even after I mentioned it wasn’t an attack. Even when I said I was trying to get you to think. Oh well I guess that’s what I get for being too logical and polite on this board. Thank you both of you for being you. Truly.

6. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Saying "Young is the best player in his draft class" without supporting it with numbers (I believe you can't because they don't exist), while asking to back up my claims with numbers was really hard to comprehend.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I
    Mnot my point. The question of the post wasn’t about numbers. I challenged your statement of “making players better” because that’s what you said and asked you to clarify. That’s all.

8. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

No, you want facts that are impossible to find. Facts like what is Luka learning from JJ or Dirk, or what are others learning from Luka. We don't know. What we do know is what we see on court. And that is telling us Luka is making his teammates better. I already gave you "facts": Two of his teammates that are important to the team are having a career year, and other two have the most efficient year of their careers. He is responsible for more than half of his team's points that puts up historic offensive rating. How can he do that if he can't make his teammates better? Save for KP, before the season every other of his teammates were deemed bench players on a playoff team. How can he put his team in such a position if he doesn't make those players better?

If you don't know how to quantify how can a guy make another one better, look at Marcin Gortat when he was playing with Nash, and then look at him playing with Wizards. Guys lika Nash, Luka, LeBron...can get the most out of guys like Gortat, Hardaway Jr. or JR Smith. Yes, some of that is the system they play in, but the system is tailored to its' best player.

And when someone is talking about Luka's defense as being his weak point, while putting Young ahead of him in his draft class who is the worst defender in NBA, I can't imagine that someone being nothinh else than either a Luka hater or Young stan.

#68 Koperboy, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Easy likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think this is a legit question.

Even if Luka is the best young allround player, the question still begs how many ships can he win?

I mean some other players that are similar.

Lebron didn't win until he teamed up with Wade and Bosh.

Harden has yet to produce a championship, and now has recruited another MVP to do it.

Sometimes a player does do too much ------- it's a Game of 5 people.......a more defined role of a Giannis or Ben Simmons is not that bad.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Do you understand what conjecture is? There’s no facts to back up your statements. You are assuming the numbers support “making others better” assumption. That’s why I made the comment the media and people who use that argument don’t rely on facts and instead rely on a measurement that does not exist. There’s a variety of factors or variables why players are good with some players and not with others. I mentioned that already but you can’t say hey his stats are good when playing with this player means that player is making him better. That is an assumption.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No need to bring race into this - let's stay civil.

Stephen_A likes this.
  12. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

NBA is predominantly black and so far there hasn't been any white player crowned as face of NBA in its' history. Not even Bird or Nowitzki weren't able to claim that, as first played in Magic Johnson era and second in Kobe/LBJ era.

I think bringing race into discussion and being civil are not mutually exclusive.

13. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

This is a very good question. That's why I never liked LeBron's system that has to be put around him, even though I like the player. He eleveates role players and brings down superstars. Wade, Bosh, Irving, Love...couldn't play to its' top potential with him. Which is understandable, as it's better to get 100% out of LeBron and 80% out of Bosh than vice-versa. Very rarely can more than two superstars coexist and bring 100% out of each other.

When Luka doesn't play, KP produces better numbers because he's no.1 option on offense and ball moves a bit more. With Harden, we saw how reliant whole system was on him, and when opponents' defense in playoffs focused on him, before CP3 arrived he didn't have anyone who could createfor himself or run the offense. Well, except Gordon I guess, but he's too injury prone and up-and-down player to be trusted upon.

That's why I wanted Dallas to get one of Dragić or Brogdon before the season started. I knew Luka would be good and KP would eventually find his footing, but that's good enough only for regular season. When opponents focus on Luka in postseason, he won't be able to carry the team by himself. He needs another playmaker, and not Delon Wright or Jalen Brunson. Although they are good players, they are not starting caliber material.

14. KingCheetah

There is a white guy on the logo.

Stephen_A likes this.
  15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

That was made in 1969. A bit different times back then.

16. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

If you think zion is the best fantasy player of the bunch then you probably dont play or arent that good. Luka and trae by far are the better fantasy plays. Especially in category leagues which is what most people play.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I play but not fantasy basketball, FPL soccer.

Zion doesn't have more fantasy points because he is injury prone and his shot is not consistent.

Once he improves or stays healthy on that front, he would be monster.

18. KingCheetah

What was different?

Stephen_A likes this.
  19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

In 1969, it was only 19 years after a black man first stepped onto an NBA court. There were many more white athletes then, so it's understandable a white athlete was put on logo. Nevermind racism was much more rampant then. For example, in 1960 an unofficial NBA quota was 4 black players per team.

I mean, do you really have to be told this stuff from a non-US person?

20. KingCheetah

You conveniently left out American men walking on the moon.

Stephen_A likes this.