1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

To thefrustration of some of his aides, Biden has long been eager to keep his family close as advisers and supporters, seemingly unable to realize the appearance of impropriety that can arise.

[​IMG]
    As has been assiduously documented by Politico, Jimmy went on to a business career in which he often leveraged his last name—including for a number of real-estate and investment deals that involved Hunter Biden, Joe’s son, in which they’d reportedly talk up access to their famous relative.

In 2007, the media firm where she is an executive vice president, Joe Slade White and Company, received $1.9 million from the presidential campaign for advertising placement, fundraising help, and media strategy (much of which went into buying ads).

A law firm run by a onetime top aide briefly employed Hunter as a named partner, and it charged the campaign nearly $200,000 for what was described in campaign-finance reports as “legal services” and “travel expense reimbursement.” The only other campaigns that reported using the firm, which no longer exists, were a few Senate races over the years, for a few thousand dollars each.

[​IMG]
    What this preference meant in practice was that about a fifth of the $11.1 million raised by Biden’s last presidential campaign went to his family members or companies that employed them. Unlike Sanders, however, Biden did not receive any of that money himself, and the money came exclusively from campaign contributions rather than taxpayer dollars.

[​IMG]
    During the years that his father was vice president, Hunter pursued a variety of lobbying and business opportunities—including, as is now well known, a position at a Ukrainian gas company that would ultimately catch Trump’s attention.

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So I guess Bernie is not as pure as the driven snow.

Don't really have an issue with this but its laughable how his supporters have tried to Saint him.

I don't think this is the end of this.

Nook likes this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Are you kidding me? How many people have ever won a presidential primary contest? Amy Klobuchar is on the verge of doing just that. In fact, she still might, despite dropping out. It is a historic achievement and something that she and her family would be rightfully proud of, almost certainly for generations to come.

The Democrats have asked A LOT of Amy Klobuchar, by pushing her to drop out the day before her home state primary, which she has been expected to win. I expect they promised her a lot for doing that. It will be interesting to see how that debt is repaid.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Bwahaha.

7. HTM

HTM Member

Biden used to be a Republican?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I actually laughed. It was harmless and funny.

King1 and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

VP or perhaps Secretary of State?

If she and Pete directs his delegates to Biden then Uncle Joe is in the lead with 87 to Bernie's 60.

These are the last gasps of the establishment's attempt to retain control of the party.

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

All of that assumes Biden wins. If he loses, then how do they repay her for this?

12. HTM

HTM Member

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you must have missed the part where he says he felt like a Republican:

"During 1968, Biden clerked for six months at a Wilmington law firm headed by prominent local Republican William Prickett and, as he later said, 'thought of myself as a Republican'.[24][36] "

14. HTM

HTM Member

Meh. This is a very small window when he was a young man. Somewhere along the lines of 6 - 18 months? To sensationalize it in tweet, even if it is technically correct, feels disingenuous to me. He has been a registered Democrat for 50+ years.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dudes, a lot of us here would have felt like republicans in 1968, watching @Deckard and company dancing around, blitzed out of their minds. :D

Corrosion, KingCheetah, Nook and 3 others like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, I'm still depressed about Bobby. You should have seen my aquarium! The glass was a perfect canvas for black light paint. God knows what the fish thought.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

my mental image of Deck today :D

DistortedImprobableAtlanticridleyturtle-small.gif

King1 and B-Bob like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not that flexible. :(
    I could dance a heck of a lot better than that back in the day, though. Of course, that fellow probably could as well.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good question, but that probably isn't a consideration of theirs (Biden, Amy, Pete, DNC) at the moment. The DNC, and both parties really, has a pattern of that shortsighted type of thinking.

MojoMan likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So does she get a trophy for winning her home state?

It is not a historic achievement nobody remembers something like that and it would be buried in her Wiki page.