1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Edit: Snapshot from Law's chat today...only time he mentions it.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Make them all cry Astros, make them cry...

#3182 marks0223, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  3. msn

msn Member

What a loser. Hey, internet justice warrior:

It's. A. SPORT.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

He almost did give it away that series anyway.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya i always wondered if he had money on LA

Nook likes this.
  7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Attended the Roughnecks game in Arlington yesterday and they had some clown on the stadium PA trying to pump up the crowd right before kickoff. He made reference to the Astros kerfuffle and hauled out a trashcan and started banging on it. The in-house A/V crew would put him up on the Jumbotron whenever Arlington was driving and he'd pound on his trashcan. It's a never-ending clown show up here...

And Houston is so in their heads on every front...

joshuaao, awc713, Cold Hard and 6 others like this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Whatever. There's no way anyone on the team didn't know.

RayRay10, BigM and King1 like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I hate Law, but if he does come out with a piece lamenting other teams, he would be back in my good graces.

Hes got a family to feed and a career to look after so it would take extra caution from him, but he would probably be blacklisted from a lot of teams if he did.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I posted about it years ago but through business I had an opportunity to know and be around Keith Law. This was around the time Drayton sold the team. Keith Law had been discussing joining the Astros under Luhnow. Law was a very down to earth and straight forward guy. How he acts on his Q&A is the opposite of how he is, and he even has said so.

The thing to remember about Law is that he is someone that has in the past relied heavily on advanced statistics and also raw physical tools. As time has gone on, he has relied more and more on raw tools and the metrics crowd has passed him by. Because he believes so strongly on physical tools and also traditional prospect showcases, he has often disagreed with some of the Astros draft picks. The Astros have relied more on advanced stats, less obvious physical tool measurements and past performance.

Law is still someone that tries to be objective. For example he really down played the upside for Bregman, until he started hitting well in the minors and he quickly admitted he under estimated Bregman.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

HAHAHAHA! So funny! This joke gets funnier every time doesn't it? I can't wait to hear it 5 million more times this year!

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'm not shocked at what Giles said.

I'm more shocked that the club actually gave him a ring. I was sure that this was his World Series momento...

[​IMG]

whiskeyred, BigM and RayRay10 like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Declined to comment? Come on Tyler! Come forward! Speak up! For the good of the game! Play the game the right way!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...ons-mlb-cracks-pine-tar-spring-surprises-more

Everyone: (to justify the Red Sox cheating) "but it was less than what the Astros did and their punishment will be less severe."

How about both Cora & the Sox being repeat offenders?

#3193 J.R., Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    joshuaao, RocketJedi and RayRay10 like this.
  14. msn

msn Member

Oh, NO!!! The penalty for cheating is going to hurt a team! Not our beloved Red Sox!!

#repeatoffenders #hypocrites #GoAstros #SUCKITMLB

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah, Ken Giles saying he would be willing to give his ring back...

Un, Kenny?

You should have given your ring back ALREADY dude!

It brings up a good point though - the Astros won DESPITE Giles turning into the equivalent of trying to douse a fire by throwing kerosene on it.

Whatever that is between that guy's ears, it isn't functioning properly..

SMH

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Giles may be dumb enough to not understand what was happening with the trash can.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Ya'll probably already saw this...

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This continues to be the stupid part of the argument against the Astros. The Astros didn't make Anthony Bass a career minor leaguer. His (lack of) talent did. Ballslinger (or whatever his name is) was s*** before and after that game. If you didn't make it back from the minors, it wasn't because of that 1 inning against the best team in baseball. It was because you suck. Man up and own it, you f***ing pu**ies.

#3199 leroy, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...for-showing-no-remorse-over-cheating-scandal/

"You cheat, you win a championship, there is no suspension, and then there's no remorse," A-Rod said. "The last one is probably the worst one. From a guy who has made as many mistakes as anybody on the biggest stage -- I served the longest suspension in MLB history, it cost me well over $35 million, and you know what? I deserved that. I came back. I owned it after acting like a buffoon for a long time. I had my apologies, and then I went dark. I wanted my next move to be contrite and change my narrative. You have to be accountable ... I felt the hatred from the people and I earned it."

Rodriguez, who added that the Astros "earned whatever comes their way," was suspended 211 games for his ties to Biogenesis in August 2013 -- it was reduced to 162 games on appeal -- and he also admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs while with the Rangers earlier in his career. He is perhaps the most infamous cheater in baseball history, so this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

There is a kernel of truth to Rodriguez's statement, however. Once he returned from his suspension, he did own it, he did apologize, and he did try change the narrative. Many fans didn't forgive Rodriguez and never will, but he made an effort to be contrite. The Astros have been anything but. They've been combative, if anything.

At this point, the Astros have leaned into being the villain, and they're going to get booed and taunted all season on the road, just like Rodriguez throughout his career. That comes with the territory once you've been outed as a cheater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.