1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Celtics 2/29/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 28, 2020.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Great game the Rox look pretty damn unbeatable super statisfying to see them win after the crowd got all hyped.

Beastbrook gonna beast but Harden has def elevated his game again this season he had the highest plus minus despite shooting like ass on the field. That meant his defense isnt just acceptable it has become pretty damn great I'd say it is at least at Klay Thompson level already considering he defended Tatum, Thise and Hayward pretty well the entire game.

Best moment for me is WB and Harden embracing at the end WB and Harden looked so happy you know the entire team is vibing right now and there is 0 drama and distraction in the locker room.

Rox def looking good I'm pretty stoked about our chances in the offseason.

D-rock, Deckard, Plowman and 8 others like this.
  2. riko

riko Member

Harden has significantly improved on defense. He comes up with some clutch defensive plays now

Remlap, RayRay10, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

This is a game rockets were supposed to lose. Harden did not play well and the bench only knocked down 2 threes. It has been so fun to watch the Rockets on the defensive end. Also was it me or was Gordon not playing in the 4th.

Remlap, Bo6, BigShasta and 3 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Hustle and defense didn’t seem to be a problem in OT.

5. Nook

Nook Member

No it isn’t Westbrook’s team. He is a huge part of their success but it isn’t his team and it isn’t going to be.

Remlap, RayRay10, vlaurelio and 2 others like this.
  6. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

You gotta realize Harden's putting in a lot more effort lately on defense and that's going to be using up a lot of his energy.

He held the Celtics to 6 points on 3-12 shooting as the primary defender (from ESPN below)

[​IMG]

Remlap, Plowman, Bo6 and 8 others like this.
  7. riko

riko Member

He repeats the same nonsense nonstop

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great read!

Remlap, RayRay10 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Learn the English language before you lecture me.

Choke means to fail, neither James Harden nor Rockets failed tonight.

Remlap, Junebball, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey is such a troll.

Hilarious!!! LOL

BigShasta, bro2044, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  11. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Exactly. Opposite of a Choke. Rockets were down 17 and came back to win it.

Remlap, bro2044, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

@fchowd0311 falls in faint

13. s3ts

s3ts Member

Please make this a post in GARM, deserves its own thread.

D-rock, Plowman, Rocket River and 2 others like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Lunch Pail Win?

Remlap, D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  15. lionaire

lionaire Member

P sure it's just a sweat stain. Whoever is standing to his left has a pretty nasty looking stain too.
    [​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  16. mikeshinoda

mikeshinoda Member

I really love how PJ finally get some elite defenders like Roco to help him and prob able to bring his toughness up to next level. PJ looked lonely at beginning of this season him being the only one out there hitting corner 3s running up n down the court to defend other team’s best player.I felt sorry and worried about him cuz he’s eventually gon get injured or run out of gas playing like this after all these efforts that gon be heartbreaking. But now, the team defense chemistry and 3pt shooter coverage is satisfying to watch. Reminds me of the PJ-Ariza-MbahaMoute era. It’s lit AF.

#1836 mikeshinoda, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    D-rock, hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Great win. Had to turn it off at the right time. One time I turn it back on and Celtics just tied it. So I had to wait for the game to finished. Then I rewatched it. :p

Anyway Harden’s play at the end was crucial too. Without poking the ball from smart we don’t win. Then he got fouled and made two clutch free throws. That was a made up for giving the Celtics a chance to take it to over time.

Remlap, D-rock, BigShasta and 2 others like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Pre-Capela yeah but you can't tell me this trade doesn't open everything up for him.

It's like MDA conceded the paint to him alone. And you normally just do it for a leader.

Harden scored 60 against the Hawks, 59 against the Wizards, 2 bottom dwellers.

You just have to watch this Celtic game and the Laker game. When things getting close.

#1838 daywalker02, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Remlap and hakeem94 like this.
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

First off: WOW what a win. Every time you think the Rockets have the best win of the season, they turn around and give you another one. Reason why is the play-off atmosphere and how we looked flat and unable to handle it in the beginning. Russ was pretty much himself, but the rest not so much. That is why I believe trading for Westbrook was a great high reward move, since no way we would've won if we would've come out look this with nobody to mix it up. If it was a Harden or CP3 lead offense, it would've stayed a 3pt bomb fest with misses left and right and Harden getting frustrated by no-calls and very good defense by Boston.

Westbrook made sure he kept us in the game as well as just great defense by Tucker and Covington. I agree with the commentator that the game ball should go to Tucker, for all those offensive rebounds, clear strips, blocks and forcing bad shots. That's why we were even up 101-95 to begin with, with just effort and hustle. Harden was amazing as well on defense, so not trying to take credit away from him on that end. We do all need to acknowledge his awful decision making down the stretch that lead to OT in the first place. That was 90% on him with that awful pass and 3 forced three point shots, because HE wanted to ice the game. Covington was hot, wide open and still he didn't want to pass. I was furious and if it wasn't for his play in OT and icing the game, I would've held him accountable.

Speaking of passing, it was awful for most of the game as Harden again went into his little iso mode with only 3-5 seconds left, leaving our role players with little to do but throw up a bad 3pt shot. McLemore was not involved, was not getting touches and that's on all our ball handlers. Luckily they found Covington for a few and seemed to try to get him some shots. Tucker was solid from the corners and got his touches. Rivers was off, Green had a nice one, but was also cold. Only Westbrook and Covington were really on. Those dunks by House finally gave him some confidence to make that big three from way out. He was straight up thrash for the rest of the game. I was ready to throw a fit over him getting so many minutes, but that's why I'm not the coach and MDA sticks with his guys and again it paid off.

We played far from a great game, but I am impressed we didn't let the referees nor their defense dictate how we played. The first half seemed to be a combination of missing shots, not matching their intensity and jitters with the play-off like atmosphere. Once we settled down, it was great defense, we gave them nothing easy and just straight murdered them from all angles. I loved the backdoor cut by House with the pass from PJ, the put back dunk by Westbrook, the buzzer beater by Covington, the blocks by Covington, Tuck and Green, the drive by Gordon, the drive by Harden late to put us up 109-108 and finally the one for the FTs. The TV crew tried hard to take away credit from our small ball, but they are definitely taller with 3 guys 6'8 or taller - all starters - while we have one who comes off the bench. Covington has amazing arms though, where Tucker needs to tip balls away, Robert just can tip them to himself or just grab them. That was huge in OT where Tatum / Theis couldn't get a rebound on offense.

In the end, Westbrook was the difference maker and the one who lead us to victory. I am worried Harden still doesn't perform well in these type of games, especially late, especially by his standards. Westbrook has been keeping us in games and winning us these type of games with the better performance of the 2 guys, but has also a tendency to be too emotional like how he lost games single-handedly against us in 2017. Maybe he's not that guy anymore as I've yet to see him really lose us a game late by terrible decision making, but maybe that's the 6 game winning streak talking. MDA should get credit for sticking to his guns, though I wouldn't have minded a Thabo / Carroll appearance over a Rivers / House / Gordon.

Awesome win, well deserved based off our hard work and thank you Westbrook for coming through in these key games like a champ! We won with defense, which is always the way in the play-offs and the only win to win a championship. If you didn't believe yet, now it's time to do so!

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

nice win, incredible defensive efforts from both teams! many paths to victory, so no, we do not have to play outer worldly offense to win.

GO ROCKETS!

Remlap and D-rock like this.