1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much do you pay for cable and internet? What package?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Senator, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Senator

Senator Member

Curious... need a plan and have no idea what people generally pay for moderate use or a small family.

2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Im w/ xfinity. Have been for a few years now (cant seem to cut the cord thanks to live Rockets/Astros and all the on demand content). I have their "premier" package including HBO/Showtime. And 1 gig internet speed. Internet alone would be $100 so I bundled the cable and pay $185 after fees and taxes

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

$65 - 400 mbit w/ spectrum. Run a dvr for local channels and stream to the rest of the house. Then just the usual steaming services. It'd be probably $30-40 a month but I can't get it lower due to the other isp being trash atm (so no competition yet)... I haven't really missed much and have access to HBO/espn online so it's nice not paying $200 or whatever I was at

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

$65/month for xfinity internet (80mbps), no cable

5. Clutch City1993

Supporting Member

Any issues with your internet speed? I think mine's may be unnecessarily fast for just 2 people and a few devices

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I keep getting offers for Charter Spectrum to bundle my 200 Mbps Internet with their cable service for $44.95 for each service when bundled for a year (then standard rates apply). Internet is regularly $73 stand-alone. But, when you read the fine print for the cable rate...it’s not actually $44.95 because they add on costs for hardware and some extraneous fee for up to $13.95 depending on where you live. Then, tack on installation fees, taxes, etc. .. It just seems like such BS they can claim $44.95 when it is not. I have yet to actually price it completely out but I’ve read it’s pretty much a bunch of crap when all said and done. Is anyone doing this bundle that can speak on it? So, what they claim is $90 when bundled likely comes out to at least $120 and even more with additional TVs/services. I pay around $90 for DirecTV basic with 2 DVRs and 1 regular receiver now. I may go the other route and look into bundling AT&T Internet with DirecTV.

#6 Surfguy, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

If you're downloading stuff and have a high-speed ssd, and you want it fast then the gig is great... But if you don't download a lot of files and you're just streaming content (not a heavy tech user) 50-100 mbit is probably fine for 2+ streams. I think Netflix states ~ 25mbit is all that's needed for 4k stream (since they compress it), obviously if standards change (as everyone else is able to get higher speed lnternet) or you have more users the higher speed is great. But if you're not actively using it, it could be a spot to save money.

The other thing is too, you really should do speed tests regularly to make sure you're getting what you're paying for... For example, I'm running all of my own equipment multiple routers/switches (like way above an avg user would do since I work remote), and I get 480 mbit regularly, I can download a full GB file in 17-20 seconds (even wirelessly), so on yours it would be like 9-10 seconds. Anyway, I have neighbors who use the provided equipment and pay wifi fees to rent a router etc from the cable co... And typically get 100-200 when they're supposed to be getting 400 or more if they're paying for the higher speed etc..

I'm just mentioning this last part, since on a site that's using multiple streams (like speedtest.net) it should show you having a wired speed of like 940 mbit (you probably won't see true 1 gbit unless they're offering 2 gbit in your area and are using different setup, obviously this can vary location you select on speed but regardless, a close location should get you within range of the 940. Also, on wireless, speed at 940 is possible but you need to be running the more recent standards (last few years) for wireless. So that's why I'm mentioning to test this hardwired first.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Nope, no issues with streaming or xbox live. it sometimes gets up to 100 mbps for some reason too

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, with what you have it's just fine, like video streaming/online gaming will be just the same as someone with faster internet (regarding lag/latency), the only difference is when you get multiple users streaming on your network or you're directly downloading a large file you'll wait longer, but then you consider the cost difference based on location/monopoly to get the higher speed and unless you have a use for it, it's basically wasted money.

One thing you might be able to do is call and get back on whatever introductory rate they offered I got mine back to $65, it shot up to $90 after 1 year, and I was about to just get a slower speed for the $65 but conveyed I was canceling, and a 10-15 min call saved me $25 a month. It's worth a shot sometimes, since I know I've seen a few people getting 400 mbit for about $35 a month.. unfortunately this only happens when you have the option between 2 gigabit isp's at the same address. My address has one gigabit provider and the other offers 50mbit... For about the same price I'm paying... I seriously thought the other person was joking about their price, but sure enough... You put their address in for service (even though it's the same company) $35...

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

$40/mo for whatever my internet speed is. 50 or 60 mbps. Have never had speed or other issues. We use only streaming services, no cable.

Edit

Actually it's a 100 mbps plan for $40/mo. It was 50 or 60, but then they bumped me up last year when I called to cancel.

#10 Haymitch, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    MIAGI99 and Clutch City1993 like this.
  11. Clutch City1993

Supporting Member

Hey man. I just want to say thank you cause comcast has been robbing me with their super fast internet that i cant even utilize with the common devices we use on top of renting their most current router/modem. Theyre giving me a nice reimbursement and im renegotiating my package looking to save around 40%. Thanks again!

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. Senator

Senator Member

The whole house can stream together on 50 mbps? And all of this for $40?

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Glad to help! And that's wonderful to hear on the reimbursement and savings! I think a lot of these cable/isp companies are doing this on purpose and it's wonderful when you catch them like that.

If you have any other questions just met me know!

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah it works for us. 2 adults, 1 toddler, 1 baby. I don't know if we ever have more than two streams / online gaming going at the same time, so maybe we're relative lightweights. However if both Mrs and I are on our laptops while both streaming HD stuff from Netflix, YouTubeTV, etc on the TV via Rokus we have no issues.

However, in general, I always get a low-ish speed. Because I can always upgrade, if needed - ISPs are always accommodating when you want to pay them more. They will gladly boost your speed for no extra fees.

That's much better than paying for speed you don't actually need, and potentially having issues (fees, contract issues, etc) trying to downgrade later.

15. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I have Comcast internet alone. Now it costs me $52 for their "internet plus" package I believe they call it. It's 70mbs download and 10mbs upload.

They have offered me $60 for both Tv and internet bundle as a promotional deal for one year on a 2 year contract and the second year you pay full price. No one pays full price, you know the drill after that year call them up and just complain.

I have been with Comcast now over 8 years no issues at all.

Do not use their equipment spend the money and buy your own. I have had my own equipment for the entire time besides upgrading my router and I have had no issues and the equipment payed for itself. If you have a new house or moved make sure the cabling all the way to the connection outside is right or better yet a direct connection if you can get it(no splitters, etc.) to the modem.

By the way, before they did not tell you when the promotion period ends and now they even warn you before the promotion expires.
    It's like they encourage you to call and speak to the representative and they always try and up sell.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, your own equipment can be huge to make sure you're in control and able to truly utilize what you're supposed to be getting. I also agree completely on no splits to the modem if possible, especially when newer modems/docsis standards are using 8-32 for channel bonding, like if you have channels out of range you'll never get what you're paying for.

Also, check your values on the modem yourself (most modems these days, even cable owned ones will allow you to see these values), don't count on the Cable Co to tell you.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Gigabit Fiber (symmetrical up/down) from Grande. $70/mo

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That’s not going to last. Say hello to YouTube, the only thing Gen Z watches.

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

$50 for internet. We don't typically stream more than 1 thing at a time. Oldest is only 5 and a half. Maybe we'll upgrade later. I think speed is only 50mpbs.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Comcast - $211 - 1 gig D/L, 50mb U/L, all the channels, with HBO, TMC, Starz, and 3 Boxes.