1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Free Throws - Regular Season v. Playoffs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just checking the Free Throws

2018-2019 - last year
    Player Regular Season Playoffs Difference
    Giannis 9.5 11.2 +1.7
    Paul Geroge 5.9 9.8 +3.9
    KD 5.7 9.4 +3.7
    Kawhi 6.1 9 +2.9
    James HArden 11 8.9 -2.1
    Embiid 8.2 8.2 0
    Curry 4.2 7.1 +2.9
    Lillard 6.4 7.1 +0.7
    Lou Williams 6.5 6.8 +0.3

Westbrook 6.2 5.2 -1

I suspect this will be an issue
    Seems our guys are the only ones that the Refs Swallow their whistles on
    The only ones where the "playoffs are different and not as many fouls are called"

Source: https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/play...ffensive/sort/avgFreeThrowsAttempted/dir/desc

Rocket River
    I need a way to make the tables line up better

Pat, Os Trigonum, DeBeards and 6 others like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think we should use bbref’s per 100 numbers, since stars play more minutes in the playoffs.

Even then, Giannis per 100 jumped by 2.0
    And Harden fell by 3.3

Plus, you can copy/paste actual formatted tables from bbref

HP3, RayRay10 and don grahamleone like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

In 17-18, Harden’s free throw rate went from 50% in the regular season to just 35%

last postseason his free throw rate was 37%...down from 44% in the regular season

meanwhile Steph Curry’s free throw rate went from 21 to 36%

Lebron’s free throw rate in 2018 went from 34 to 42%

KD’s free throw rate last year went from 36 to 47%

Kawhi’s free throw rate last year went from 35 to 44%

Giannis went from 55% to a ridiculous 64% free throw rate in last year’s playoffs, but it’s Harden who is so hard to watch and who slows the game down with endless trips to the line?

people keep saying the refs “let them play and call less fouls in the postseason”...no they don’t, unless your name is James Harden

OkayAyeReloaded, Zboy, HP3 and 10 others like this.
  4. So Saith Red

So Saith Red Member

The refs screwed us out of one championship, they will try again.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. heypartner

Check out the per100 of Jordan in the ‘90s, too
    And Kobe’s three straight Finals 08-10

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Again . . .. like I said. . .
    When people tell me the Whistles change in the playoffs
    They basically saying that Refs are Picking Winners and Losers.

Rocket River
    What is bbref

Zboy, DeBeards, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We shall overcome. It's the only way.

Zboy, DeBeards, topfive and 1 other person like this.
  8. heypartner

9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lakers clippers will push Rockets role players to 30 feet, so 3 pointers are not good.

free throw attempts will be the key to win the west for rockets.

l’d use step front to get free throw attempts, not step back. Try to get 40 free throws a game.

#9 BigBum, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  10. Handles

Handles Member

Thanks for starting this thread. You always hear people say “you’re not going to get those calls in the playoffs!”

I actually have some work going back the last decade to see team free throws differential between regular season and playoffs. The truth is nearly every playoff team shoots more free throws during the playoffs.

I bet you can guess which team shoots less in playoffs... I think only 1 of the last 10 years we shot more free throws in playoffs.

I’m happy to post the data at some point this weekend if I remember. I’m headed to the horse tracks soon to drink 50 cent beers so it won’t be tonight.

11. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

i would also like to see playoff drives per game

heypartner likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A lot of fouls Harden gets are from defensive mistakes. No defender wants to put him on the line. It makes sense that in the playoffs defenses will play smarter and foul him less.

With Giannis, it’s different. You foul him to prevent an easy 2 points. So, no surprise that his fouls drawn would not go down.

dmoneybangbang and Relativist like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Now explain the other 8 people

Rocket River

14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This makes sense to me. I worry that in the playoffs, teams will learn how to mitigate their defensive mistakes in other areas as well (see DaBeard post), and that those improvements will have greater impact on the outcome than any comparable defensive adjustments the Rockets make. Hopefully this will not be the case, and the Rockets win the adjustment battle.

DeBeards likes this.
  15. Handles

Handles Member

So from 2010-2019, teams have shot 1 more free throw per game (FTPG) in the playoffs vs the regular season, on average. 64% of playoff teams over this period have shot more free throws during the playoffs.

Last year, 75% of playoff teams shot more free throws in the playoffs. Biggest benefactor was Milwaukee, who shot about 4.8 more FTPG in the playoffs.

The Rockets have shot less free throws in the playoffs 5 of the last 7 years (Harden era). We shot 2.2 more FTPG in 2013 and 10.7 (!!) more FTPG in 2015. In the down years we averaged 1.4 less FTPG in the playoffs.

In the last 10 years, the number of times we've shot less FTPG in the playoffs is 5. Only the bulls outnumber us here, with 6. On the other hand, the warriors have shot more free throws in the playoffs every year in the last decade (7 total times they made the playoffs). Spurs are at 10!

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's getting 8.9 in the playoffs, which is in the highest tier.

Would we be calling this a problem if he were averaging 7 in the regular season?

Seems to me he's just getting some bonus ones in the regular season, which is a positive. You can win a title with that as your franchise player.

Also, Harden's opponents in the playoffs on average have been far superior to anyone else's. We played the most talented team in NBA history more than anyone else. If he were in the East, I bet he gets more in the playoffs.

Context matters. It's not an equal playing field.

17. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

clear as crystal this league got their agenda (those shitty calls), but as long as we keep hustling n keeping up with our game plan.
    like today's game against Celtics, we earned it n forced them changing their dirty agenda.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

harden got his 2nd FT attempt of the game with 24sec remaining in OT

19. JW86

JW86 Member

There was no agenda, Harden wasn't that aggressive and Celtics played very good defense. Westbrook had 12 and it's good that they didn't get caught up in this silliness of FT attempts..it's good that they get less calls in general so the team adjusts and knows what to expect come play-off time.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

smh, agreed.
    29.2sec left (101: 96), w/o an absent-minded pass n stole by Hayward, the game would not be forced to OT.
    ESPN changed the headline of cover page as 'Westbrook take the lead with Harden's Rockets'. again, hope there are a players only meeting.