1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Possibly.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is a possibility for sure and definitely hoping it goes this way-

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...virus-covid-19-in-warmer-spring-temperatures/

I have a feeling as time goes on, if the trend continues we'll have to get two seasonal vaccine shots (possibly), I mean don't get me wrong new viruses/new strains etc. and then the unknowns are what makes this different- but coronaviruses are nothing new, it's just the unknowns of this particular strain that are definitely concerning, especially depending how your immune system responds.

With that said, I also sometimes feel like people ignore the flu and depending on the year that can be very deadly too. Anyway, I think with everyone's current fear it's the unknowns and how long health and global markets/economy will be impacted. I mean while low in some spots, I don't really like hearing about a 2-3% mortality rate - since we're already up against the flu right now, and then with the parents that don't vaccinate their kids.

Anyway, I'm just glad it's not some type of airborne ebola like virus... Because if it was... and there was an incubation period like this it would be bad news to say the least. Especially when the information takes a whistle blower to come out.

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Can someone explain why we shouldn't care about the mortality rate in comparison to the recovered rate?

Right now Italy, South Korea, which are highly developed countries, have a total of 24 recovered... and 23 dead.

The average death rate of recovered patients on 30k cases is 8%, and if you think that's just because China has bad percentages due to lack of healthcare within Wuhan, no the rate for all countries outside of China, cruise ship and Iran (which don't have adequate healthcare) is 11%.

Why is the death rate being estimated at 2-3% when the virus lasts for over a month, and the vast majority of infected haven't recovered yet, why is the death rate on revered patients hanging around 10%?

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@Ottomaton and @malakas , This is dude just dropped a valuable notice on why taking that medication without constant doctor supervision may be very dangerous. This drug can cause retinal toxicity, I don't know about y'all, but **** that!

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously see a doctor etc etc, but your doctor will tell you hydroxychloroquinine retinopathy really isn't a consideration on a short malaria regimen or on a 10 day course as described for Covid-19. It's only an issue that occurs in people who take it for long term. They measure risk over 3 year or 5 year intervals of continuous use, and generally recomend annual eye exams unless you are deemed high risk.

Diabetics, alcoholics, people with impaired liver function and people with several other rare issues like vampires with porphyria should avoid it as well.

When I first started on it, I was told to see an eye doctor for a baseline exam sometime before my follow up visit with the prescribing doctor which was set for three months later.

#846 Ottomaton, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    CCity Zero, malakas and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I also didn't say it does not come from wildlife, might be just experimenting on it in a lab.

So you deem 100% of every respitorary disease is coming from people who eat wildlife in restaurants or as street food at some Seafood market?

Just because a tiny percentage of the population eat some crazy ass animals and it's on Youtube, this should not be taken for granted.

A vilified assumption.

How is it that South Asia or the Pacific Islands do not spread that kind of disease? They are eating more bats than the Chinese.

Most countries have nutjobs and cults.

#847 daywalker02, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's flu and cold season where I'm at and errbody be coughing and sneezing. scary thing to go out in public. especially with people not knowing the cough/sneeze etiquette.

also fask masks and hand sanitizers are hard to come by now, always sold out and the supermarkets drove up the price by 10x.

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is like the bitcoin of hot diseases

Kim and daywalker02 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. malakas

malakas Member

South Asia has zoonotic epidemics like the Nipah virus I mentioned. It started from Malaysia.
    It is only luck we dont have an epidemic of it. YET.

The virus hasn't managed to adapt to humans so what happens is recurring LOCAL outbreaks that are contained- like MERS. The virus keeps jumping from time to time from animals to humans in villages near bat caves, every few years, where they and their families die and the government keeps containing.
    It is an ongoing threat.

One time the virus can have enough luck/chance to adapt and then here goes another pandemic.

There is nothing special about China. Except the CCP that burries information to the detriment of the world, in spite of having all the scientific and monetary resources to act in time. Only that.

Otherwise a spillover can occur everywhere in the world and cause a epidemic or even pandemic.
    The spanish flu for example is rumoured to have started in San Fransisco.

As the interconnectivity of the world keeps increasing and as the deforestation keeps worsening the chances are just bigger.

In the past if you had an outbreak in Papua New Guinea in the jungle it would have been much more easily contained.
    The infected hosts would all have perished long before they had any chance to travel far away and spread it.
    It is because the rural population or even the urban population rarely travelled more than a few kilometers in their lifetime away from their place of birth.

Deforestation also means that wild life that came rarely in close contact with humans now does much more and the chances of a spillover increase.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/78291...ed-to-perform-sex-acts-on-men-twice-her-size/

Yup, even have secks with apes.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Disgusting. I want to puke right now . Couldnt even finish reading it.

This is why what happens to humans by nature- virus included is wholly deserved. We have done too much damage to this planet and all other living beings.
    We can't say I didnt do it, these has nothing to do with me. These .."people" are still members of our species.

We get what we deserve.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Yes, it is often given for 10 days in 500 mg doses for people who travel to malaria stricken countries- exactly the same as the dose given in these clinical trials.

HOWEVER and I want to note this.
    I didnt suggest this for self medication.

I only suggested it for someone who wants to protect themselves -even as a hail mary- from a potential lack of medicine in a case of a widespread pandemic in the time of quarantine.

If the hospital, clinic where you are driven to has no more of this medicine you can give it to your doctors yourself to counter yours or your friends/ familys pneumonia.
    In case of a widespread pandemic, lack of common medicines and drugs is to be expected let alone of a drug that is not in wide use and not widely available.

Can someone here guarantee that any country even the USA can have enough of this drug to offer to every severe case, if 70% of the population is infected?
    It could be hundreds of thousands of people.

I do not want to die because a drug that is now available later becomes hard or impossible to find.

15. malakas

malakas Member

China is keeping their recovered in continued quarantine for many weeks after clinical recovery and doesn't count them in the official numbers immediately. There have been some interviews done with such people and they are kept in government facilities.

One reason is to continue observing and secondly for public safety.
    For example it has been recently discovered that even when someone recovers they can still shed the virus for some days.
    We still havent determined the exact number of time.

Also HOW they still shed the virus?
    They think through feces and not orally anymore.
    So they are still a public risk.

In SK and Italy, the mortality rate looks so high in comparison to the recovery rate mainly because of time.
    The first who have died are the old, immune suppressed. The easy targets. They couldnt battle the virus for long and were the first to go. May they rest in peace.

As time passes the recovery rate will rise far above mortality rate. Give it 2-3 weeks.

Dont forget that still many italian and sk cases are in the asymptomatic incubation phase and were only discovered because of the research of the chain of infection.
    For many it will be even 15 days later when they start showing symptoms. It can take 1-2 weeks later for them to recover. More if they become severely ill.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

What you are saying could be fullfilled in a matter of days. Not 1.5 month.
    When you have many unexplained drug resistant pneumonias you send samples to the lab. Wuhan had a lab on their own, but even if they sent it to Beijing.
    They found out quickly it was a new coronavirus. In Australia the lab needed 3 days to recreate the complete genome of the virus from a sample. Let alone to find the basic facts like for example that is a virus of the corona family.

After this you don't need to know much more to start implementing IMMEDIATELY some measures

Quarantine of the family members close contacts of the infected/deceased.

Investigation of the places they had visited prior to infection and looking for common factors like the Wuhan seafood market.

Alarming the WHO about the existence of a new coronavirus outbreak that causes pneumonia.

Alarming the hospital personel who came in close contact with the patients to wear protective equipment like gloves and masks.

Start making public announcments to the public about the need of hand washing and wearing masks.

These are basic protocols! You dont need to determine the exact intermediate host, the incubation period or anything else to start ACTING.
    You CERTAINLY do not need 1.5 months for that.

When the WHO and the international scientific community are notified then also the rate of discoveries would rise rapidly so you can start implementing more exact measures tailor measured for this virus.

If you start containment measures soon then you can lower the RO easier and more effectively.
    The number of infected wouldnt have reached the number it had so soon.

If complete containment is nevertheless impossible , we could have bought enough time for the warm months to come in the northern hemisphere and to avoid a full blown pandemic.

By next winter we can have a medicine and soon after a vaccine.

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Follow up on this. My father in law was able to get to the hospital in Nanjing finally yesterday. There was only 1 doctor there because all of the other doctors are in Wuhan. She said he definitely should have come in much sooner because it was an emergency, but understands there is nothing that could have been done. He is scheduled for surgery tomorrow.

My wife thinks he had an acute glaucoma attack, and may never recover his vision. He is currently blind in his right eye, and has extremely blurred vision in his left eye.

Obviously we'd love to have him back in the states, but his whole life is in China. He is engaged to be married soon, but his fiancee doesn't have an American passport (or really even speak much English), not to mention his job there. (he's been working for an international company in China for over 10 years)

Anyway, thought I would share some personal color to the whole situation.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow.
    Stay strong brother!

20. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

I just went to cut my hair out in Katy an the barber kept sneezing. Do I need to evacuate?!