1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Important Offseason Will Be This Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zoplicone, Feb 23, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bertrans not a fit for switch everything defense.

Need to be able to contribute more than just offense in our new system.

Zoplicone likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not sure they would use the NT-MLE next year .... more likely the Taxpayer version.

Would have to check the math but they could be very close to the apron level out of the starting gate.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Oh. Yeah I don’t know these things too well. I just assumed because they’d enter the summer as a non tax team that it’d be available.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's my assumption as well - and to use the full MLE you can't go over the apron at any point during that league year.

So if the full MLE is ~$9.5m , they'll have to be at least that far below the apron to use it .... and then couldn't exceed it at all.

I guess there is the possibility of EG being moved which would free up some space below that threshold .... which would allow them to use the full version.

By first appearances I think they'd be working with the taxpayer version.

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

One of the oldest teams a year older. EGO not getting any better. Traded our best young piece with any actual value for a journeyman scrub. Frittered away all of our draft picks. Yep, next off-season is the important one, Rox are the team of the future.

The most important offseasons were the ones where we signed Ryan Anderson and Chris Paul to disaster contracts which caused us to have to play salary shell games in every other year.

BigBum likes this.
  6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

How many firsts do you think we have ? Lol

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Clippers and GSW have more available assets.

pelicans are future teams.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No infographic, no read

9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

:eek:

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I see. In that case it’ll be damn near impossible.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m watching the Denver game right now against Detroit (I’ve got money on it, only reason I’m not watching Zion in LA)

Jerami Grant is so solid. There is no way Denver aren’t keeping him. They’ll pay him

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Well , like I said I haven't done the math .... and there is the possibility they move EG which could open up a chunk of space depending upon what they get in return.

I'll do the math later tonight or tomorrow and post where they might be in regards to the apron out of the gate.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

ok tilman.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ok , from what I could find (Spotrac) next years apron will be $145m.

So the roster starts out with

Guaranteed Salary
    Westbrook - $41,358,814
    Harden - $41,254,920
    EG - $16,869,276
    Covington - $12,138,345
    Tucker - $7,969,537
    House - $3,717,000

Player Option
    Rivers - $2,369,663

Non-Guaranteed
    McLemore - $2,283,034
    Hartenstein - $1,663,861
    Clemons - $1,517,981

I think it's safe to say they bring McLemore back at that $2.28m figure , he's played above his pay rate.

Rivers being a 1+ player option - Its possible he declines the player option and takes another 1+ player option contract which allows him to A make another ~$239k and B retain his bird rights with the Rockets. Worst case he costs them $2,609,181. They would have his full bird rights after next season either way.

The following are set to expire
    Caboclo
    Chandler
    Carroll
    Sefolosha
    Green

They'd have $127,960,589 in salary committed to the above 8 players minus Clemons and Hartenstein.

The 2020/21 MLE is worth $9,720,900 The Taxpayer MLE is $6,003,900

Use of the full MLE would put them at 137,681,489 with 9 players under contract and $7,318,511 short of the apron and 5 roster spots to fill minimum. If they keep Clemons and Hartenstein its 4 roster spots minimum and only $4,136,669‬ below the apron.

League veteran minimum cap hit for 2020/21 is $1,792,956. They'd be $1,242,199 above the apron filling those last 3 roster spots with Hartenstein and Clemons and $1,646,269‬ over without Hartenstein and Clemons.

I think its safe to assume that for the Rockets to use the full MLE they have to move one of their guaranteed contracts and take back less salary (By ~$3.5M) to remain below the apron and fill the required number of roster spots. Otherwise its the mini MLE of $6,003,900 and not being hard capped at the apron.

Lets remember that the tax line is $139,000,000 . That's $6m short of the apron - to stay below the tax and use the full MLE they'd have to move one of their guaranteed contracts and take back ~$7,707,044less.

#54 Corrosion, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Chamillionaire, Maromi and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo and House are most likely pieces to be moved IMO.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I edited the final numbers , it was off by ~$1.792m on the bottom line.

Moving House probably isn't enough to use the Full MLE , fill the roster spots and bring in a player to replace him.

It would at minimum take Tuckers salary to make everything work …. But I really don't see him being expendable. More likely is EG which might also allow them to avoid the tax too. (almost expect that one).

D-rock likes this.
  17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

But we wouldn’t be dumping EG on a team with space. He’s not that useless. Could be wrong but I doubt Morey would get rid of EG just so he could use a $9M exception instead of a $6M.

Oh. Unless you’re saying we trade him for someone who makes $15M to save that extra space. (Just noticed that is what you meant) I honestly would love to do a sign and trade with Brooklyn for Joe Harris at that amount (or the minimum that would qualify him for a trade for EG). Preferably on a JJ Reddick type deal (shorter term like 2 years). I think the Nets would like a player like EG to use with Irving and Durant, but unfortunately I think they’re too smart to take on 3 more years of it.

18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Serge ibaka on discount, and otto porter jr, would put this team over the top, if they fail to get pass clippers.

19. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

these are the same number I got when doing this on the trade thread. It’s worth noting a couple things if you can let ego go for a player like oubre (suns only have him in a 1 year deal and was being shopped at deadline with Johnson and bridges ready) it would lower our cap hit by 2 million and filling a further need on the wing. Mclemore and rivers could replace his productivity. I’m actually more in favor of losing rivers and picking up waiters to lower our cap hit by another 3 million and replacing 80% of ego with waiters. Kid has long wingspan and is a volume shooter at near ego percentages.

I’d use that extra space to make a run for wood or green. There are only 4 teams with cap (atl detroit Charlotte). Almost everyone is hoarding for the year after. The current crop of fa gets that we would prefer will most likely be retained by their home teams. Denver won’t let go of grant. Morris has non bird with lac. Even wood would be a hard sell. But if we throw a full nt mle at him it may make the pistons balk since they have griffin and demboyou ready. If not I’d go after jam green at 6 million on longer term deal since lac has Morris possibly trezz and kabengele ready.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Who are these owners that aren't cheap ass owners? Cleveland's owner? Golden States?