1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I know its also in another forum, but hopefully this will be an appropriate thread to discuss the political implications and space the other thread for political attacks.

White House to ask Congress for emergency coronavirus funding
    However, the amount could be significantly lower than some public health officials have argued is necessary.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/22/emergency-coronavirus-funding-116761

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm convinced that Coronavirus will come and probably is already here. My understanding is that this is extremely contagious and given how interconnected this World is there is no way we can contain it. On the bright side it doesn't sound like it is that deadly and the mortality rate is lower than the flu. And I'm saying that as someone just getting over the flu.

If we practice sensible precautions like hand washing avoiding gatherings when feeling sick, maintaining good health (eating right, getting sleep, and exercise) we can handle Coronovirus.

We are going to take a hit to the economy since the PRC, South Korea and Japan have and those will affect us. I don't think it will be global recession bad.

#2 rocketsjudoka, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  3. NewRoxFan

In other news...

Trump Seeks to Halve U.S. Funding for World Health Organization as Coronavirus Rages
    The president’s new budget would cut more than $3 billion in global health programs.
    https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/1...ronavirus-state-department-usaid-budget-cuts/

B-Bob and Rashmon like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Corona virus hysteria is totally overblown. Low mortality rate, largely confined to China (yes, I know there are cases outside, but proportionally not many).

The real impact could be to the economy. China is one of the largest sources of global growth, and they've been close to idle for almost a month (lunar new year + 2 weeks of corona). The impact to global consumption and global supply chains could be significant. Q1 earnings from multi-national companies will no doubt be affected.

The media has an incentive to blow this out of proportion, for a few reasons.
    1. They of course want a democrat to win in November, and the strong economy could be the biggest reason why Trump wins re-election.
    2. Hyping up the corona virus hysteria is good for viewership, and further stokes uncertainty in the economy.
    3. We could be looking at a self-fulfilling prophesy where the media's hype leads to slowed economic growth.

cml750 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

Wow... trumpism summarized all in one post. A problem doesn't exist, coupled with a belittling of science. Then an attack of the press. Followed by a defensive "it is all a plot to get trump."

7. NewRoxFan

Apparently no one told trump the coronavirus wasn't dangerous and it was simply a dem/fake media invention to make him look bad.

Trump furious after officials allowed Americans with coronavirus to fly home with other passengers: report
    https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...ficials-allowed-americans-with-coronavirus-to

8. NewRoxFan

But fortunately the trump white house is on message, putting up a force field to protect trump... just in case.

White House fears coronavirus could shape Trump's 2020 fortunes
    Though Trump in public has downplayed the virus, privately he has voiced his own anxieties.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/21/coronavirus-trump-white-house-116650

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Next month's headline?

Dip$hit-in-Chief Re-directs Coronavirus Funding for Wall.

TheFreak, superfob, RayRay10 and 5 others like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe. One thing trump fear more than the Mexican is germs.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good one!

I'm not saying don't do anything about Coronavirus but I do think that all of the fear of it is overblown. It should be taken seriously but I don't think this is the Black Plague.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What about Mexicans with germs?

Amiga likes this.
  13. bigtexxx

and of course you cannot refute a single point I made. Instead you tried to hurl insults.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You obviously don’t watch “the media” if you really believe this.

I would argue that Trumps recent uptick in the polls is mostly due to how this “media” is covering the Dem primary. They obviously are tasked to follow Trump daily and cover the “he tweeted what” daily outrage because Trump outrage sells. But if you think they’ve been actively trying to get a Dem in the White House you’ve lost your mind. Maybe Bloomberg who isn’t really a Dem but even they haven’t really been helping him.

As it relates to Coronavirus, id actually say the coverage has been sort of light. Even though it sounds like it’s just another Flu like illness, if you think about all of the other illnesses we have to combat (Flu, Strep, Mono, etc) adding another one to the list that is this contagious is not the greatest news in the world. As with something like Strep, we need to have it studied and come up with appropriate treatment or a vaccine and it sounds like the CDC and WHO are really behind the 8 ball on this one. I think what would put the world at ease would be a much stronger response to educate people about what to do if your symptoms are this and how to treat.

If I went to my Doc right now and said I think I contracted Coronavirus and just got back from China, they’d probably immediately rush me to the hospital and quarantine me simply because they don’t really know how to treat. That’s the biggest problem. Has nothing to do with the media and their liberal bias. It has more to do with the ability of the WHO and CDC to get a handle on how to treat, to get a vaccine, and properly educate. If Trump really was an economic genius president like him and his cult believe he is, he’d better understand the global economics of dealing with a new virus like this and would have placed better value in this past with the CDC and have them better prepared to deal with something like this.

joshuaao likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You actually didn't make a single point.

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It’s not an insult if it’s true.

17. NewRoxFan

My my my... in your slide to irrelevance you sure have gotten soft if you thought anything I posted was an insult. And... you were making points?

No Worries likes this.
  18. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

So the whole world media is trying to help the Dems get elected by overreacting(in your mind). Gotcha. Man the Deep state is spread all over the world. Crazy!!

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. bigtexxx

You’re still struggling!

You simply can’t refute my points. That’s why you have to resort to your insults.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Annnd it already turned into a Trump thread. Great job morons.

mick fry likes this.