1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green and Carroll: The new Ariza and Luc

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 21, 2020.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff Green had one good game against the shitty Warriors.

You guys are really trying to jinx this man. Could y'all hold out for a slightly larger sample size before we compare him to Ariza/Luc or the Gordon replacement (saw that from one poster last night).

One good game, from a player who has an earned reputation of having one good game followed by several really really bad ones.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You know he's about to go off again tomorrow night. I mean Utah cut him, so this is a revenge game.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Anytime someone responds to a CP3 got hurt comment with "what about Iggy getting hurt for GSW"... feel free to share with them that LMAM played a similar numebr of regular season games as Iggy, they both played about 25 mpg, LMAM actually started 2x as many games, and was a bigger scorer at 7.5 ppg vs. Iggy's 6 ppg that year, and was a really important defender.

Yes, he played minutes that series, but arguably (or realistically), he actually hurt the team in his minutes... because he was hurt. He was horrible. 0-6 game 1. 1-5 game 2. He was -7 in game 2, in a game the Rockets won by 22 points.

Lawlruschang, BaselineFade and D-rock like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Luc in Houston: 7.5 pts per game 1.2 steals .9 assts 3 rebs 60% from 2 and 36% from 3 - Played 61 games

Offensively I don't think we calling for him to be the greatest
    Defensive Effort will mean everything

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff Green is nowhere near Luc's level defensively. Offensively, he definitely is much better talent wise, but his issue at all his stops is never being able to give consistent effort. Luc always gave consistent effort on both sides of the floor.

Stats mean nothing to me regarding Luc, because I damn well know if he would of also been healthy in the playoffs, it may have been a completely different outcome even after the CP3 injury.

Lawlruschang and BaselineFade like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I hope so my man, I hope so. There is nothing more that I wish to see than for Carroll and Green to become consistent major contributors.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Ah ok that makes a lot more since.

In that case Luc in 2017 was truly elite and better than even best case Carroll

but Covington is THE 3 and d wing. According to pipm he has there 70 highest grade since they started grading. Highest role player. So better than Ariza.

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

Time out. Love those guys as much as any true Rockets fan because that team was legit special. Those damn injuries...but acting like Luc and Ariza were these phenomenal players that are irreplaceable isn’t the case either.

They played a role. They were both really solid veteran role players that we failed miserably replacing for intangible reasons more than anything measurable in basic box scores. Ariza was a known 3 and D commodity we brought in to replace Chandler Parsons and lots of posters incorrectly thought he wouldn’t be able to fill Parson’s shoes. He played hard on defense, but wasn’t lockdown and was a volume 3 point shooter who could barely dribble. Luc was never a high volume 3 point shooter, he had a good year and hit 36% on a career high 3 attempts per game that year and could get to the basket decently while Ariza was almost 37% on 7 attempts. Luc’s defense was really good too though. Probably in a lot of ways better than Ariza and Tucker depending on matchups.

We missed those intangibles though. We missed that gritty defense. That never backdown attitude to compliment PJ. We just added Robert Covington and DeMarre Carroll though. Two veteran and well regarded 3 and D wing players who bring that to the table so of course there is reason to be excited and hopeful that we’re finally putting back together a formula that seemed to work really well a couple seasons ago.

Plus we still have Danuel House and Green is something completely different in my opinion that we haven’t had. Can do a lot of the things Luc did offensively like when we put him at the 5 and took Rudy Gobert’s soul in the 4th quarter that year although not nearly that level of defender even though the potential is there. Can he just lock in enough in limited minutes to be adequate defensively? That will be the key.

#28 vator, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

i see the similarity, but luc and trevor were part of a 65 win juggernaut.

Green and carroll just got here, have half a season to acclimate, and frankly were not starting level caliber guys like Luc and Trevor were before they came here. Trevor was an 8 million starting wing, Luc was a starter for LAC. They came here at way better points in their careers, if we were getting ATL carroll and BOS jeff green i'd be more apt to agree.

Lets temper our expectations here a bit. But hey, if green and carroll find their shot and are agressive they could be better offensively. But i don think they are gonna be in the defensive class of 16-17 Luc and Trevor.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Insult to Luc.

But Rockets are deeper at wing with Green, Demarre, House

Green/Demarre/House > Luc

Bruno also wild card.

And Harkless may still be in play.

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Thankfully Roco WAS actually ALL defense 1st team that year.
    [​IMG]

12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Covington wasn’t mentioned In the comparison in the op so that is what I was responding to.

Lawlruschang and D-rock like this.
  13. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Luc was better on defense. House is a much better shooter and driver. Idk if Luc ever really topped 20 mpg either.

Lawlruschang and D-rock like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

LMM averaged just over 25 mins a game during his year in hou

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Yep, I posted and then looked it up. You beat me to the edit though.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Luc was elite defender, not just better.

Lawlruschang and DM'sVP like this.
  17. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

True. I used to call him Clamps (Futurama reference) bc he used to come in off of the bench and clampdown the oppositions best player.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I went from not being excited for Rockets playoffs to being really optimistic. Hope I’m not wrong.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I said this last year that it was a bad move to let both Ariza and Luc go. Moving eric to the 3 was not the answer nor was getting a cheap Ennis. I am just glad Morey was able to make the proper adjustments with the roster before it was too late. Hopefully everyone can gel very quickly and give us a really amazing push.

Lawlruschang and BaselineFade like this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lick My Uh Bootay was better than both of these guys.