1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lineups with RoCo PJ and no center are Dominant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I thought I would point out that since we've gone "all in" with small ball, D'Antoni has been exceptional in using his timeouts, in my opinion. Not only is he actually using them, he appears to me, at least, to be using them promptly at strategic times. Hell, I've been shocked on more than one occasion by this. Based on what I've watched the last few years, and I watch the games, it's been, as you point out, one of his "big bugaboos." Terrible use of timeouts, and playing the legs off of a few key players. Both have now changed. Morey gave him some vets that can play the way he wants his guys to play, expanding his rotation with guys he should trust.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The thought of Egos contract becoming tradable brings a euphoric feeling all over me.

I'd love to move him for oubre in the off season.

#22 xtruroyaltyx, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    topfive and D-rock like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is surprising, and if after 20 games it is still nearly this good, then OMG!

DD

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I'm not sure why people think his contract is so bad.

If the Rockets are successful this year with small ball, other teams will be even more desperate for switchy wings that can hit 3s and get to the basket. Ego can do those things when healthy. He's only 14M a year which is not terrible for a guy that can start or lead a 2nd unit in scoring off the bench.

In fact, if we didn't have his contract, we wouldn't have a large enough salary to send out in a trade to get a meaningful player back.

Morey has us in a good position with Ego. When healthy he is a very valuable piece in the small ball lineup. But he's also a commodity that could be packages with a couple of other smaller salaries to get a major piece back. Optionality is the name of the game.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I dont think his contract is terrible but I would like to move on from him because I think he's a piece that can be packaged to bring back an even better piece.

When hes on his great. When hes not and he just relentlessly Jack's up deep threes he doesn't add much to the team on those nights.

If he has a good playoffs then I'd be ok with keeping him. But as of now I'd rather try to upgrade even if marginally.

DeBeards, D-rock and coyotetex like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's a trip. That's a good article from B/R. Shocking!

payaso and D-rock like this.
  7. JackLordsHair66

Yeah absolutely (and surprisingly) noticed this as well, it’s like he is suddenly very engaged in the flow of the game and not waiting for meltdowns to fully complete themselves before he interrupts a bad stretch of minutes or possessions. Maybe he was taking a lot of naps before we made this commitment to small ball complete, since it wasn’t his desired roster/system with a traditional type system we tried to make work with Clint. Mike definitely seems more engaged the last few weeks I’ll give him that !

kjayp, Hakeemtheking, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  8. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Oubre would be the right guy to replace EG in the summer after the draft

xtruroyaltyx and D-rock like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I can appreciate someone standing up for him, and he has success when he has the personnel to run the system he likes. Obviously I hope for lots of wins the rest of this season. I also see the value in not bowing to pressure, and not making "frantic reactionary moves". At the same time, his moves can be....glacial? Some coaches see when the tide is shifting and call a timeout to make sure the bleeding doesn't get out of hand.

If Mike D can split the difference between "glacial" and "frantic", I'd be happier.

But if this coach takes us far into the playoffs again, I'll be the first to say, "Well, good for you, Mike." And if small ball punches a hole through the Big Lakers wall in the process, I'll add, "Give him an extension, Mister Landry's. And not a 'here's $2,000,000 per season, plus another $750,000 per successful playoffs series' type contract."

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Just because he is NOT making YOUR preferred adjustments does not mean he is not making any," you say to me.

Maybe he is changing and energized now that he has the personnel he wants for his style. I'm talking more about in-game adjustments, letting the other team go on 17-4 runs before he calls a timeout.

Or playing 7 guys in a game, watching them score 75 in one half and 25 the next, while Montrezl Harrell sits on the bench collecting dust.

He is good at setting a system. (Like, f*** it, let's go five-out. Which may just be the way to go.) Then he lets that system play out. He has a Plan A. Too often there hasn't been a Plan B. Don't tell me otherwise.

Again, maybe he sees more potential in this lineup. "Hate"? Not at all. His way might just lead us to the Promised Land, while all the naysayers gleefully predicted our doom. I'd love to see it.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA played 9 or more players for much of 2017-2018 season. He is also playing that many or more since the trade deadline and buyout period this season.

When MDA has the players that fit his system AND can play efficiently then he will play them. This is fact.

All you have to do is review game lines for the above periods.

As for the silly things like calling timeouts or playing the guy at the end of the bench, these do not qualify as adjustments. These are subjective preferences.

MDA is far from perfect but he has a brilliant offensive mind and understands defense more than the average fan can comprehend.

The system adjustments cannot be overstated because the season has turned on these changes. The same can be said about the acquisitions of Covington, Green and Carroll.

MDA now has 10-12 players he can play to ensure maximum success rather than the 7 players he had prior to these acquisitions.

And I have not even mentioned the various injuries to his stars and key role players - Russ, Harden, Clint, EGo even House have been out or limited for much of 1st half of season.

One thing we all know as fact, MDA finishes up the season like gangbusters. So hold on to your hat because this new system and the players we acquired are going to make rest of this season and postseason a ride to remember.

And did not mean to include you with the other haters but CF has been thick with posts clamoring to fire MDA and Morey.

Let's not make the same mistake that Sarver and Kerr did with the Suns.

Hoping the Fertittas do not let history repeat itself, we are so close.

payaso, ROXTXIA, Patience and 4 others like this.
  12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the in game adjustments thing is more of a philosophical difference. If you had an offensive system like the Rockets do that is designed to get good 3s, and you get 10 wide-open unrushed gym-practice-level shots in a row, and you miss all 10 of them, is your offense working or not? Is this worthy of an adjustment or not?

There are many, and I assume a majority of fans, that would say that the offense is clearly not working, and it's time to make an adjustment. Clearly the threes "aren't falling" and it's time to move on to "plan B" because "plan A" isn't working. I am pretty sure Dantoni would disagree. Like, if you get your money in good 10 hands in a row in poker, but you lose all 10 hands, that doesn't mean you should adjust your strategy. You don't start betting in bad spots just because you were losing in good spots. I think the Dantonis and Moreys of the world would say that missing open 3s (or layups) is similar, you're getting the shots you want, they just aren't going in. The strategy only needs adjustment if you aren't able to get the shots you want, not when the shots aren't falling.

#32 harold bingo, Feb 21, 2020
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is very much what I was alluded to here

BaselineFade and HP3 like this.
  14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Hope as we are planning to WIN NOW, other than another next year…cuz our back court tandem 1more yr older
    P.S. i know if we failed in this playoff, glass man EGo should be the first one on our roster to move, however his contract might devalue subsequently making him hard to be dealt.

#34 DeBeards, Feb 21, 2020
  15. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I am just so happy to see our defense look like the 65 win season defense. The stats so far say that we’re still middle of the pack (as I recall), but I expect that to climb to top 10.

The effort is just so refreshing to see. I hated seeing lazy defense and open shots for the opponent. Now, we’re making teams uncomfortable and snuffing out pick and rolls.

I guess the concern is would be once a team can really scheme against it, ie elite slip screens like the Warriors and I guess post-ups leading to kick outs.

kjayp, smp, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Fake ass news ass

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Not taking anything from MDA, but playing a small lineup forces him to play more than 7 players, minimum 9 players. Because there is nobody back there to cover (traditional center), guys are exerting a lot of energy playing this frenetic, swarming defense. With these veterans like Covington, Green and DMC, he is actually having a hard time finding PT for everybody.

Admittedly, I was hesitant about the Capela move, but now that I understand the small ball concept, I'm all in. This can work with the addition of the new guys cause they are not only taller but lengthy as well, hence all these deflections and steals on defense.

payaso and BaselineFade like this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, these midget ball schemes are going to be eaten alive

19. StrawberryJamm

Contract aside, the EG situation is going to be interesting. I do believe he's our 5th best player, however he's been the best guy in that slot closest to Harden for the quick pass quick 3 option since road ryno. If we really do have Paul George that may not be the case anymore. He's earned the trust and will play big minutes, just not sure if he'll be the no questions asked best option for the closing 5. If RoCo out shoots him in that Harden safety net spot will he add more as a defender and spot up guy in the corner opposite of PJ than House or Carroll?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's a small sample size, but the improvement in defense has been noticeable. We're contesting everything and the rotations aren't being missed. Also, it feels like we're turning the ball over less which results in fewer transition opportunities for the other team.

payaso, D-rock, Patience and 3 others like this.