1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1917 - Directed by Sam Mendes - The Film

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deckard, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Historically accurate?

That was my biggest problem (among other things) with Dunkirk which was a huge disappointment to me.

Jontro, JunkyardDwg and B-Bob like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So.. this DID convince me to see it. I wasn't in the mood for another war movie. I was content with the somewhat disappointing Nolan film last year.

Glad I went. It balled OFF. Beautifully done.

After first nightfall, when Schofield wakes up... you know... the very first time (and maybe the only?) that the "long shot" effect concludes. That specific scene looks amazing (town, debris, fire, blasts), but I thought the movie going forward from that point dragged on just a bit.

So.

I give it a 9.

gatsby, Hustle Town and B-Bob like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Solid movie.

my biggest issue by far was the soundtrack. It was too much, too loud, too often. I’d much have preferred much more natural sounds.

I give it maybe a 8 out of 10.

the single shot thing is by the most impressive and refreshing part of the movie. Unique approach. Needed. Even without it, wound have still been a very good movie.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wasn't that Mena Suvari (pie pie)

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Swelling music that tells the audience how to feel is so 20th century. It's really odd when movies do that now. (Haven't seen this one, so I'm not sure this applies.)

Xerobull likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's EXACTLY what it was.

B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer Dunkirk, personally.

8. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Should've won best picture. The movie is fantastic. The beginning march through the trench set the mood and the single shot filming gave it a real feel. I watched Parasite, and it was solid and I got the social class message, but this had more of an impact after watching.

Caesar likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

hai gais just saw this.

suxs i missed this in theaters. it's a 6.5/10 watching on my phone before going to sleep, but would've been 8.5/10 in theaters for the camera work alone. long shots and wide angles are awesome.

my fave part is the big hitter actors playing minor 1-scene roles in the beginning and the end. would have loved an american actor playing a major brit role in war movies just like how brits play major american roles.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hi 1917 welcome to ur gais.

Run from Point A to Point B.

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.