1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Texas MS 150 Fundraiser

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Louka, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Fellow Clutchfans,

Please donate to the MS Society on my behalf. In May I will be riding 177mi from Houston to College Station (yes, the destination is College Station this year) in order to raise money for MS... and have a great time doing it. Any donations from $5 to $1,000,000 are greatly appreciated! I am trying to reach a Company-set goal of $1000, and I'm only half-way there.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Loukas

Edit: Some people ask about what my own contribution outside of just doing the ride is. In case your interested, I do spend about $300 to $400 on training rides, which contribute to other charities/causes and I also contribute $20 for every $100 contributed on my behalf, on another rider's behalf.

#1 Louka, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'll donate to you if you donate to me lol.

3. Louka

You doing it? DM me your link.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'll pm you

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Good luck to both of you. I did the MS 150 many years ago with my wife. Looks like a new destination in order to let Austin riders join in. I know it will still be a blast but it seems a bit of a shame you miss out on the final stretch entering Austin. And a bigger shame you will miss the ride through Bastrop State Park (my favorite part... the best climb).

I will donate to both... great cause and fun way to support it.

6. Louka

Thank you very much @NewRoxFan !!

The ride through Bastrop was incredible. I can't believe that part is gone now. Almost makes me want to start in Austin haha.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

@IRS

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Got you, my man. Bless you for doing this. MS is a ****ing nasty disease. My great aunt had it, I dated a girl who had it and the docs thought I might have it a few years ago (didn't, it was a mystery). My gf 'looked' normal but we had to park in handicapped parking because her legs would just give out sometimes and I would have to carry her to the car. We got some nasty looks, comments and notes. I even had an old fart take a swing at me for taking 'his spot'. Nasty how it slowly debilitates you.

Incidentally, a plant based diet has been shown to reverse MS.

Good luck and best wishes for great weather on your ride!!

Louka likes this.
  9. Louka

Wow. I've heard stories like this before. Thanks for sharing, @Xerobull . At first I registered for the ride just for the activity itself, but what has me going back for more are the stories, the camaraderie, and the insight and appreciation it brings; and not just to MS, but other conditions as well. All the training rides leading up to the MS150 contribute to a charity or cause. Each ride is usually around $40 and that money [or a portion of it] can go towards children of wounded or fallen soldiers, Alzheimer's research, victims of sex trafficking, education for children with disabilities, and victims of domestic violence to name a few of the causes I've ridden for in the past.

To respond to your story specifically, it can be tough dealing with illnesses that can't be seen, and that includes mental health. I always try to remind myself, you never know what's going on with someone. That goes both ways though, even when that 'old fart' was taking a swing at you. You never know what he/she might have been going through.... not that that excuses their behavior lol.

Thanks again for your contribution.

10. Buck Turgidson

Years ago I really enjoyed being the "pace car" that took our friend's stuff to the campsite and met people along the highway.

Where does everyone camp now?

Louka likes this.
  11. Louka

It's still in LaGrange

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Rumor's spreadin' round about that Texas town

Have mercy