1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...arren-sued-by-george-zimmerman-301007111.html

Buttigieg and Warren Sued by George Zimmerman
    Allegations of Defamation and Damages of Over $265 Million

POLK COUNTY, Fla., Feb. 18, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, the legal counsel for George Zimmerman announced the filing of a complaint in Polk County, Florida (Case Filing No. 103505613), against presidential candidates Pete Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren. The complaint can be found at www.larryklayman.com, alleges that the two maliciously defamed George Zimmerman, using the February 5th birthday of Trayvon Martin as a pretext to demagogue and falsely brand Zimmerman as a white supremacist and racist to their millions of Twitter followers. Their Tweets were well-covered by the media and extensively retweeted.

The obvious intent of Buttigieg and Warren's Tweets is alleged race baiting, in an attempt to draw African American votes during this Democrat presidential primary season, stated Larry Klayman Zimmerman's lawyer.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is it tribal for people to have a favorite amongst many candidates? I don't think that's particularly tribal. I think it is normal and part of the process.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Just giving her some credit for hanging on despite the sinking ship feeling. Her distant 4th place finish in NH was absolutely devastating. People were speculating if she would drop out.

But like I said: 3rd place going in Nevada and 12-16 points nationally in polls released today. Things could be a lot worse for someone who’s had so many errors and self-inflicted wounds on the campaign trail.

RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

She's not going to WIN the nomination, but if the convention comes and Sanders is at like 34%, She's at 15% and Biden/Bloomberg/Amy/Pete add up to 50% there's a mess. (Numbers here don't matter as long as Bernie doesn't have the majority and isn't just shy of it.)

Who do they nominate? By then someone from the group of 4 will have quit obviously and there will be deal making. Can the Democrats really nominate Bloomberg at that point? Can they nominate Biden? What do they do to keep the Bernie people from burning the party to the ground? MAYBE this is where Warren becomes a viable candidate to emerge from the convention.

Amiga and RayRay10 like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Delete.

#1585 jiggyfly, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. justtxyank

Politics and sports are the two most tribal parts of life in modern America.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok that makes sense, I guess I am just disappointed in her overall.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is true I am just surprised that it has splintered into each candidate.

9. justtxyank

There is an episode of Bablyon 5 where the one of the races has an annual tradition where they randomly draw a colored sash from a bucket and become part of that team until the ceremony is over.

What do they do once the teams are formed? They kill each other of course until there are no other members of the other colored tribe left.

[​IMG]

This. Is. America.

foh, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's true I just have never seen so many different candidates supporters take comments so seriously.

My initial favorite candidate was Warren she was the perfect blend of left leaning but pragmatic while being principled.

I don't see her having a path to nomination and I don't really see anything wrong with what I said.

This kind of strong reaction is usually reserved for sports teams its amazing to me that people are so passionate about individual candidates hence the tribal comment.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Bullshit. America is great and there is a reason people of all races come. You see racist stuff online but in real life a majority of people want to be in the same team: America. Most people are not out to get the other race. Real life is not twitter (or clutchfans).

12. justtxyank

This isn't about race dude. It's about "tribalism."

Me Democrat, you Republican. Me hate you! Flip it, reverse it.

Nook, foh, RayRay10 and 1 other person like this.
  13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I think she needs to recalibrate her approach. I am mostly aligned with her agenda but I feel like she talks down to people and has been overly scripted. Because of this, she's had a hard time responding to critique and slow to pivot in a nuanced way. Also, like Bernie, she comes off a bit angry. I get showing toughness but calm, cool, and collected have a time and place as well.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. There was nothing wrong with what you said, and your comment seemed to be an example of what you're talking about here. He mentioned that perhaps the stories of her campaign being doomed could have been exaggerated, you attacked the poster for having that opinion and questioned why he would say such a thing.

That just seemed extreme to attack his belief of exaggerated tales of doom.

I do agree that people are more passionate because I think a large part of the voting populace believes the stakes are higher now than they have been for recent elections.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think it was an attack and if it came off that way my bad.

Like I said I am disappointed in Warren and that may have shaded my response.

I do think she is doomed and I think its highly unlikely she rises.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm thinking of getting back on the Warren wagon (and off Sanders). I understand there was some debate or something last night, but it's not related because I didn't see any of it. But I've been toying with this idea for a while. It's also not the red scare people are evoking about Sanders -- I'm still more ideologically aligned with him than with Warren or anyone else -- or electability, which I don't care about.

It's this. I think Warren just has better leadership qualities than Sanders and everyone else in the field. Like Sanders, she has a strong compass of where she wants to go and she cares about doing right by people. But if a Democrat wins the presidency, they'll likely need to work with a divided congress. We can assume Republicans will call them both communists and do everything they can to block action, so that's a wash. But, a judge Warren to be a little more astute in finessing the congressional relationship. Not that I expect (like some) for Sanders to be terrible at it; he's been there for a long time and would be in a much better position in this regard than Mayor Pete for example.

But perhaps the biggest leadership advantage I hope for would be in managing the agencies. There's a lot of work there because of the systematic way in which Trump has dismantled the federal apparatus. Sure, the president has people for that. But her understanding of administrative processes and her appreciation for the impact these mundane matters can have on citizens can be impactful. Especially for a presidential term that is pretty much doomed to legislative gridlock, being effective running agencies is the most important thing the next president could be doing.

Not that my vote matters anyway.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is the only point I would disagree with. I actually think our primary votes in Texas matter quite a bit. Maybe not as much if we lived in California with 400+ delegates, but Texas is still pretty important in a close primary. The rally around Beto in 2018 was pretty impactful. Think about the large amount of people who voted for Beto and also voted for Gregg freaking Abbott of all people.

It's a weird state with California like diverse Demographics. I think if us Texans took a more engaged approach to picking the best candidates, I think it could dramatically change the importance of Texas in all national impacting elections.

JuanValdez likes this.
  19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What is Warren's play? I am at a loss.

I have liked quite a few of her plans but... A distant third, two fourth places and now a fifth place. Suddenly she is going against her long term pledge not to take Super Pac money. Though elected in progressive Massachusetts she does not seem to be actually a good politician.

1) VP for Biden or Bloomberg?
    2) Bernie VP?
    3) The consensus pick at a brokered convention?

Frankly how can the DNC pick a 4th or 5th place finisher at a brokered convention. What does she add to a Sanders' ticket? I suppose she could add a touch of progressiveness to Bloomberg or perhaps Biden, but she does not pull well with lower class whites or people of color.

My guess is VP for Biden, or Bloomberg.

20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

She recently said she hates Bloomberg more than she wants to win..so I doubt she’s aiming to accept Bloomberg’s ticket and I doubt he would offer a spot on it to her lol. But yeah she has no path to victory at this point. Expect her to drop out on Super Tuesday