1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Jeff Passan doesn't care.

mikol13, desihooper and htwnbandit like this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The light punishment for Boston/NY was handed out 9/15/2017. Any team caught cheating after that point would face severe punishment, as we saw. NY didn't use Apple Watches, I believe all they were found to have done is misuse bullpen phones (yeah right...Boston claimed they were using a live feed from YES Network). Everything that's been leaking about Boston in 2018 points to illegal use of the replay room but apparently no "real time" relaying of signs (and this is what Correa said the Astros did for the first part of 2018). They certainly may have relayed signs but they don't have a punk ass rat to worry about so they only need to give up scraps of info.

#2782 marks0223, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    clutchdabear likes this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Any chance we boycott and refuse to do any type of interviews during the season with these asshat journalists?

Say we have an ESPN game and we just refuse to speak with any of their guys that have been over the top ridiculous in their coverage of this or does that only make us look worse?

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Cool

I was there, bucket list checked off. There is literally NOTHING they can do that will take away the feeling, after being a fan for about 45 years, of winning that Championship. So yea, if they feel the need to make lebron happy, or whatever...do whatever

Winning it again this year is going to be so freaking sweet

HTown2017Champs, lw17, BigM and 4 others like this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

This is what I’m talking about. It’s REALLY unfair for ONLY the Astros to be made out to be the cheaters when this was a problem throughout baseball.

It feels like someone has told the Astros to not say anything about any other teams. It feels like MLB is involved in a cover up. The whole truth needs to come out.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I suspect the Astros players are (1) trying to move past it by any means necessary and (2) waiting to see what comes of the Red Sox investigation. Anything they say regarding the scandal or other teams just re-ignites the whole thing that they just want to go away.

I do think if no other teams were doing something similar, there is no way you get 25+ guys to go along with what we did in 2017. Right or wrong I think it was accepted as somewhat of a norm then and so it didn't feel so wrong at the time.

Ben Reiter tweeted that he is working on a podcast and I believe something written regarding the scandal, anxiously awaiting that as hopefully it will shed more light. I think he is actually objective which is rare these days.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

The Astros are the only story, and it’s a good one. The good guys brought a gun to the gunfight, locked up the bad guys running the town, became sheriff, but when one of new sheriffs guys Gets left out of the goods, he rats out the plan, and it turns out the sheriff guy was a bad guy all along. The town was duped. The bad guys got greedy and sloppy. And the sheriff gets rooted out and drag through the street by a horse with no name. It’s cinema 101.

#2787 PhiSlammaJamma, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not many hot take sound bites thus far this morning... eerily quiet... is a Red Sox decision about to drop?

lw17 likes this.
  10. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I think Red Sox decision drops tomorrow. Day before first spring game. They are hoping the start of spring training games can buffer any potential fallout (although I suspect the only big news from this coming report will be about Cora).

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Cameron Maybin is the one storyline that sticks out to me that nobody is looking into. Here's a respected, veteran outfielder traded to the Astros in September, and (according to Tony Adams) immediately participates in the banging scheme at a higher frequency than any of our regular starters. I have a very hard time believing that a ten-year vet would so quickly participate in something like this if it was as outrageous and out of bounds as we are being led to believe.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...everybody-up-as-sign-stealing-talk-continues/

Shortstop Carlos Correa has already said that Cody Bellinger should stay quiet. Outfielder Josh Reddick took it a step further. Here's what he told the Washington Post:

"At some point, you have to move on and not give a ****," Reddick said, adding "we're going to go out there and win and shut everybody up."

More spice from the Post story, this time from pitcher Lance McCullers Jr.:

"[The teams talking trash are] going to have to play us," McCullers told The Washington Post. "Except for the guys who are popping off the most."

"Those guys aren't going to have to face us, which is maybe why they feel like they can speak like that," McCullers continued. "But we're moving on. That's not what people may want to hear, but we stood here as men and we addressed [the scandal]. … We're just looking forward to playing baseball again."

Obviously, McCullers is talking about the Dodgers, who wouldn't face the Astros unless both teams make the World Series in a rematch of the now-infamous 2017 Fall Classic.

Reddick is right in that at some point we should all stop talking about it. I'll take my cue from opposing players, though. When they are ready to move on, I'll be ready. The Astros were the cheaters, so they aren't the ones who get to tell everyone else to stop talking about it -- especially since they've hardly shown actual, sincere remorse.

13. msn

msn Member

A couple pages ago someone suggested Luhnow laying low a few months and then writing a tell-all book ratting out everybody else who was cheating.

I'm firmly in the camp that would to see that. Doesn't vindicate what our team did, but it would be nice to out the hypocrites.

lw17, NotInMyHouse, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I am a fan of Passan now

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That didn't get Jose Canseco very far in life.... not really the sort of quick-fix/quick-payout strategy that Luhnow would typically execute.

16. msn

msn Member

I was about to say yeah but Canseco was a prick, but then I remembered outside of Houston that's pretty much the consensus view of Luhnow now. Would still love to see it.

17. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Does McCullers realize how ridiculously stacked the Dodgers are right now?

I don't think they're scared of playing Houston minus the sign-stealing tactics.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Dodgers are in the midst of being the MLB version of the Buffalo Bills... there is no matchup that they're automatically guaranteed to win. They may once again fail to make it out of the NL.

And I feel the Astros lineup is just as stacked as the Dodgers is... especially if we see expected improvement in Tucker and continued dominance from Jordan.

lw17, mikol13, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

This ain't government, Buster. He's gone off the deep end.

Yesterday, he was also lurking in the CBS tweet that showed Judge's comments and was responding to folks responding to that tweet. Guy has no life right now except this scandal. Sad.

clutchdabear likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course, its his livelihood... he's a writer for a niche sport, and has no other fallback options if the collective country ceases to care about baseball, so he needs to ensure they do care to earn a living.

I also want to know how many of these players came out and released statements unprompted? They're answering the questions that the media is asking... yes, they do care, but do they care enough to call their own press conference to address the situation?

And what about the players/managers/GM's that are already telling the media to talk about something else? They're actually getting blamed for "not caring enough", or being guilty for something as well.

RayRay10 and everyday eddie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.