1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Locke and Key (Joe Hill)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Based on an awesome graphic novel horror series written by Joe Hill, Steven King's son (recommended by @SemisolidSnake).

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Where's the lion?

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Watched this 2 weeks ago. I liked it. I was suprised there was no thread for this already. I guess it's not Stranger Things popular.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Nero

Nero Member

Finished this series last night.

I give it a 7.5/10 'Pretty good'.

It has a hard time figuring out what the tone is supposed to be. The soundtrack music is constantly 'kooky' and the interactions and relatively low level of actual danger .. those things conspire to make this have a flavor of a 'kids' show, or maybe a 'YA' show.. while other bits sprinkled in tend to go very dark.

Couple those uneven tones throughout with the very questionable writing - when you watch it, during the last three episodes or so, you will know what I mean, when you find yourself saying 'Why did they just do that?? That was pure stupidity!'. And you will say that to yourself more then a couple of times.

I know that sounds negative, but overall I liked the show. There's a decent twist at the end, and so it does set up nicely for another season as well.

DreamShook likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

So many wtf are you saying/doing moments. One stands out to me when the older brother is faced with shadow creatures: He tells his siblings that it's a scare tactic, they aren't real. This guy has experienced the magic of a dozen weird keys, one of which opens a physical doorway into anyone's subconscious, but he doesn't want to believe shadow creatures are real? lmao.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Locks and keys should be trending.......

7. SemisolidSnake

Thanks, Xero. I saw a flyer for this at my games store last week, and I hadn't heard about it at all before then. Locke & Key is a story I could actually imagine being adaptable, so I need to see this. Unfortunately, I cancelled Netflix a few months ago because I never used it, but I might need to bring it back for a month to binge through this. I still recommend the comics to anyone that can get a hand on them. I got the complete box set for my birthday a few years ago knowing nothing about it, and it's the best gift I've received in a long time.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed. Despite it's flaws, we enjoyed it. Wanted to lock the irritating little kid in that dresser to fix him.