1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There’s a very common virus that shows no symptoms, until after you die.

#641 heypartner, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes, but HIV will kill you eventually. This virus doesn't have that kind of death rate, but it does seem to cause lung damage in those hit by it. Also, there is very often a cold type infection associated with the initial infection with HIV.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sort of, so the media typically doesn't talk about everything sometimes because they either don't know/remember or because they want to act like everything is new (and maybe get more ratings/fear mongering/whatever the reason) but there are examples I can think of that aren't ... but before getting to that my huge concern with some of this is having to deal with old viruses coming back just as new viruses are showing up.. So for example, for people not vaccinating their kids (obviously the ones that are healthy and can receive it) and cite a quack etc., and then go on to conclude measles is a poor person disease or something, whatever the reason is just awful because a virus sure as hell isn't going to care about your 1% status, it just needs a host.

Anyway... sorry for the off-topic portion but you'll see why... so a good example of a virus that can spread before any symptoms is Polio/norovirus (noro's incubation period is very very short though) - "In contrast to Ebolaviruses, poliovirus and norovirus are shed during the incubation period " - http://www.virology.ws/2014/10/08/the-incubation-period-of-a-viral-infection/ there are a lot of other sources but this was a quick rundown stating some. So to further detail - "in Polio - Persons infected with poliovirus are most infectious from 7 to 10 days before and after the onset of symptoms, but poliovirus may be present in the stool from 3 to 6 weeks." - cdc. While the polio one is not quite the same there have been cases where someone had it in their stool for 10+ years (I don't recall the full case but I am sure there's a lot more examples).

There are plenty of other viruses, fortunately not with with the unknown range that is currently trying to be figured out, but another one Adenovirus 14 (Ad14), typically in the form of a severe respiratory infection (it can attach to other sites too in the body, but more likely respiratory, can be contagious for a long time after symptoms are gone, sometimes weeks, fortunately Adenovirus strains range in severity. And while Ad14 is an extreme version, iirc there were cases where people really weren't showing much of a symptom but spreading the virus anyway.

Just to add in some of these viruses a lot of times the contagious period after recovery is probably in the stool (sometimes cough possibly), but fortunately hygiene/washing hands correctly can play a huge role in stopping the spread (kind of gross but wash your hands! haha). Also to note, good plumbing plays a huge role, just like @Buck Turgidson mentioned SARs spreading in that apartment in China was due to sewage/water/vent system being really bad, and the virus being released in fecal matter.

TL;DR - they exist, everyone please vaccinate your kids, wash your hands. But the China apartment example is awful, you think you're safe at your home and nope... I know I am missing a lot/generalizing but don't assuming because the fever isn't there/gone that you're not contagious.

And seriously everyone WASH YOUR HANDS and Cough into your sleeves.. or at least wash your hands without touching another surface.

Sorry for the long post!

#643 CCity Zero, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    malakas, B-Bob and robbie380 like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

McNultyisDrunk and CCity Zero like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, love the Wire! And great ref, I guess I could have probably made that post better. I was just giving you credit since I didn't even remember that awful situation...

With that said, I also can't believe how long ago it's been since Sars.

6. malakas

malakas Member

If you have to travel to the middle east, central asia or russia it should be safe still. India is a question mark

I think its a distinct possibility that in the next month the US who doesnt waste their time hiding behind political games , will also impose travel bans to Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia and we will see about S Korea and Japan. So you may be able to avoid it.

In all these countries there are many indications that the virus is spreading unimpented between the local population.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

A cult member in South Korea got in a traffic accident and by coincidence was found out to have the Virus.
    She hadnt been to China and now she has infected at least 20 people while she was participating in church meetings.

Where and how she got infected is unknown.

CCity Zero and Jontro like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What cults though......they have tons of Catholic and Protestants.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

dunno bout taiwan, but indonesia doesn't have a case of infected people yet and i heard it's under control in thailand. i will be traveling to vietnam and singapore in the coming months. I'm trying to get my boss to send someone else.

we had someone from the WHO present to my organization and altho the breh seems cautiously optimistic, we could sense a potential "holy schitt wtf" in his tone. scary.

10. malakas

malakas Member

It a christian cult created in the 80s by a Korean and they hail him as their Messiah.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Of course Indonesia doesn't.

What they had is a tourist from Wuhan who toured all over Bali for two weeks, got into two domestic flights travelling all over the place and got diagnosed as soon as he came back to China.
    The Indonesian government is still in "the process" of tracking the passengers..we are still waiting

At this point the number of confirmed infections is as much a testament to the quality of the healthcare systems as much as it is to the spread of the virus.
    North Korea also doesn't have a "confirmed" case even though every day who knows how much illegal trade and human trafficking goes on in their chinese border.
    Africa except Egypt also doesnt even though thousands of Chinese businessmen travelled all over.

In Thailand the healthcare system seems - from the outside- to be much more vigilant however the government afraid to lose the chinese tourist were on purpose very late in their responses gathering the ire of the public.
    There were taxi drivers infected and many cases of human to human transmission in touristic spots.

Well anyway, good luck I hope you can avoid the trip but in case you go there, remember to always wear a mask even when think there is minimal danger.
    Why?
    Because a mask will make you stop touching your face, mouth and eyes.
    If you have touched an infected object or a person and after a bit wash your hands without touching your face you can avoid infection.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. likestohypeguy

& bring a couple whatever type of suits those office fumigators are wearing in that video above... I suspect those are more about protecting against whatever they're spraying in there, than from the virus itself.

Uprising likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

nope, guess again

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No clue. I even googled most common human viruses. Feel free to enlighten me that’s why I asked the question ;-)

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Those poor people. The inability to question your government over their actions....like wtf is being sprayed on those workers in the confined space. Insane.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I might be overthinking this, but I know sometimes TB is dx'd after death, and missed/hidden during complications from other issues. But for symptoms after death, are you looking for a virus that kills (direct reason for death and no symptoms)?

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Did you see this one about the couple from Japan that was in Hawaii? Not diagnosed until after their return to Japan - https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/health/coronavirus-hawaii-japan-delta/index.html

malakas likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

He is talking about Zombies. Come on guys.

Only a fictional virus could even survive with hosts dead. There are NO symptoms when the organism is in the other world already.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

I think it's still very safe to travel to Greenland, the Sahara desert and the Amazon rainforest.

CCity Zero likes this.