1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) Spurs buyout DeMarre Carroll, Houston frontrunners to sign him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Don't worry we'll sign him back or overpay trading for him in a few years

kjayp, Dacamel and roslolian like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't see why people think somebody is getting benched. He's clearly gonna take a few minutes away from everybody, particularly Tucker. We've been begging for somebody to be able to spell Tucker some, and this makes it possible. Just a quick minutes breakdown.

30 Tucker
    30 Covington
    30 Gordon
    35 Harden
    33 Westbrook

24 House
    21 McLemore
    21 Carroll
    16 Rivers

The Green signing is the odd one. Given that he signed the 10 day, it seems that we're less confident about how he may fit into a possible rotation. Seems unlikely that he goes to a true 10 man rotation. Rivers would seem to be the low man right now.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What a day on Clutchfans!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Doubt mclemore grts 21. Thats going to go to caroll and house and gordon. I bet mclemore gets closer to 10-15

5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

For those saying that Carroll is too old, I'd like to put in my two cents. For a defensive role-player, early to mid thirties is usually not when they become ineffective. Because they usually have less responsibilities (especially the 3D types) these types of players generally decline much slower than other players. Now, that isn't to say that Carroll will still be in his athletic prime--he won't--but he should have plenty left in the tank if he's not an anomaly.

For example, Ariza was 32 with us in 17-18 and was very effective, Tony Allen made his last All-Defensive team at 35 (also his last year with the Grizz), Bruce Bowen was all-defensive first team from age 32 to 36, Battier was an effective defender up until his retirement at age 35. Obviously these are really high-quality defensive players, and it's probably overselling Carroll to put him into this group...but there are plenty of good defensive wings that remain at least somewhat effective into their thirties. Possibly even late thirties, if lucky.

Defense generally isn't a skill that vanishes quickly, barring catastrophic injury. The minutes load has to be reduced for older players to be at full effectiveness though, so if Demarre Carroll can help Tucker get some rest that would be good for everyone. We finally have many players that seem like they would fit GREAT with Harden and Westbrook, who can easily be above-average defensive players with a good defensive squad around them. Exciting times.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What makes you think that Thabo gets kicked from the rotation? He has been fantastic at C over the last several weeks.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's averaged 10 MPG since we got Covington, and that's with Gordon being out for 3 of them. That's pretty much textbook courtesy minutes just to give our actual players a little rest. Even Pringles doesn't want 7/8 man rotations for regular season games.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

He is our backup C since Clint left, and has made impact in those minutes within his role. Hasn’t missed a defensive rotation since December. Grabbing contested rebounds, hitting box outs.

I am skeptical that Mike is ready to replace him with Mr. Unplayable in SAS, or Jeff Green, or Bruno.

Thabo was measured with a 7-3 wingspan back in the day, and he has those Battier/Hayes instincts that can sometimes move mountains between the margins.

IvanLCPM, joshuaao, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's been shooting over 40% from 3 for over 2 months. I would be shocked if he starts losing noticeable minutes unless he stops shooting.

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Morey always gets his man—sometimes twice.

Easy, Matt78777, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And yet still not playing meaningful minutes.

A team has to play 8 players in a regular season game. With Capela being out and us refusing to play centers, he was in the rotation merely by process of elimination. He certainly has played well in his minutes, but he's also a non shooter that people sag off of, which is an absolute no-no in what we want to do.

D-rock likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

He is getting 9th man minutes as of late. 10th when EG gets back. Those minutes will not be easy to usurp from Thabo, IMO. There are not many extra minutes to be had. Mike loves Ben and House.

I am well aware of his flaws, just as I am aware of his strengths.

Very intrigued to see If Mike jettisons one of the rotation regulars for DeMarre, or a 10-day contract guy, or Bruno the cut guy.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's actually been getting 8th man minutes, because we've only been playing 8 guys. Somebody has always been out with injury. When we do have 8 healthy players, he usually gets DNP's. The Laker game was the only game recently in which we actually played a 9 man rotation.

So we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I don't think his minutes will be hard to take at all, because D'Antoni hasn't really wanted to play him much to begin with.

D-rock likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my guess is if demarre gave up a sizeable chunk of cash on that 3year contract then it was with some assurances that he's going to get regular playing time

BaselineFade, D-rock and ElDobleK like this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

Carroll might crack the rotation, but I don't see us going past the 9 we're playing at the moment. I just don't see MDA dropping any of the heavy duty guys like Westbrook, Harden and Tucker below 37-38 minutes right now either.

jcmoon likes this.
  16. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I agree...there is room in the rotation for McLemore a Gerald Green type of capacity. Come in, get off 3 or 4 looks in a short window amd catch a little lightning here and there. He is too good of a shooter to not get those types of mins at minimum.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

see! everybody was freaking out. I knew that Morley would find us a Center. You all were just tripping!
    [​IMG]

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Nice depth signing, but I worry that his decline may be as much age-related as fit/desire.

D-rock likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Did he get signed? Usually thread title gets updated. Sorry haven’t caught up.

20. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

bobo teaches him how to defence. He should teach MDA