1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive Identity: Length & Strength

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Feb 17, 2020.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Obviously, we're not going to outrebound anyone with this rotation AND possessions are especially important in the postseason BUT defense will be the key to this being successful.

Offensively, our identity is quite obvious. Spread the floor, open up lanes for Westbrook/Harden/Gordon.

Looking at how the (potential) rotation is constructed, I like how Morey has gone after long players. Get hands into passing lanes, try to force turnovers (allowing our offense to get out on the break). All players have pretty good strength as well, allowing us to switch everything (communication being key there).

Robert Covington: 7’2” wingspan
    James Harden: 6’11” wingspan
    PJ Tucker: 6’10” wingspan
    Eric Gordon: 6’9” wingspan
    Russell Westbrook: 6’8” wingspan
    Danuel House: 6’8” wingspan
    Ben McLemore: 6’8” wingspan
    Austin Rivers: 6’7” wingspan
    Bruno Caboclo (acquired at deadline): 7'7" wingspan (honestly excited to see him play)
    Jeff Green (just signed): 7’1” wingspan
    DeMarre Carroll (just signed): 6’10” wingspan

2. Nivos

Nivos Member

I'm afraid that Dantoni will not be able to use the wide rotation and all were going to see is less minutes for house, because he's under 30.
    Can't see a replacement for Tucker as well.
    Hope I'm wrong though

JuNx, roslolian and rocketman84 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Replacement for Tucker???

Did you mean backup to Tucker?

4. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Hope those new sign players can get more than 10 points and MDA will trust them and put them into rotation. Our bench are really sucks seems they don't know how to shoot. I suggest they try slam dunk instead, if they afraid missing.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Capela was not the biggest C, he is at 6'10. He didn't play tons of minutes and was injured.

They were already smaller.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

But still could not play 5 out offense or switch everything defense.

Capela was good at switch everything but not elite defending perimeter or low post, still too much of liability defending smaller faster players.

That's why Elston Turner changed the switch everything defense and had Clint dropping back to defend rim.

That scheme change made team worse.

This is why small ball is a misnomer. If MDA had a 7 footer who could switch everything (e.g. Durant, Giannis, AD, etc.) he would not need to go "small".

MDA is playing skills ball. He needs certain set of skills from ALL his players, not just the center.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun get the sentence that Carroll and Green are making us better offensively,

they are older and not offensive players though.

Capela wasn't the problem, if you think he was the problem, you could just play him situationally.

Having someone on the roster, doesn't mean you have to play him all the time.

And Capela's rebounding did win us more games than people admit to.

I think they missed to bring in a Covington type of player when Chris Paul was still here.

A good to great wing after Ariza.

You gave away 1st round pick and player just to correct a mistake of the past.

I think it wasn't the perfect timing to get rid of Capela, and it wasn't the best haul.

You are taking away the lob threat. Now you are going all in, but with limited playing styles.

#8 daywalker02, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    DeBeards and clutchdabear like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Our record without Clint speaks for itself. Advanced stats support the eye test.

Carroll and Green are simply pieces to rotation and allow the Galveston 5 more opportunity to rest. And their addition is not necessarily for offensive improvement but defensively. Both are taller and longer than House and McLemore.

Rockets are learning to gang rebound and defend perimeter with more effort. And even with Clint, Harden and PJ were more efficient in defending low post.

Rockets without Clint are destroying the turnover battle as a counter to games when rebound disparity becomes an issue.

And not clogging the lane when Russ playing is critical for team's success.

Finally, your 3rd most expensive player cannot be a situational player.

#9 D-rock, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    BaselineFade, Denovo, gotsis and 3 others like this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

So actually we're going wide ;)

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

[​IMG]

And longer!

JuNx and jcmoon like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

joshuaao and JuNx like this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thabo is 6'7" with a 7'2" wingspan

BleedRocketsRed and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A very small sample size in the regular season.

Because WB didn't play his best until very late, and Clint was more injured, in and out of the lineup.

You keep Clint till the offseason and deal him then.

Clint's record against other teams than GSW in the Playoffs is good enough. GSW won't be there.

You need any weapon possible in the Playoffs.

If WB goes out or plays bad, you would need Capela.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I trust the math.

And Clint was not going to help us in regular season, he is still nicked up right now.

Rockets need to go all in THIS season. That means winning enough regular season games to get 3rd seed or better. Clint was not going to help us with that.

Covington as disruptor and 3ball threat is more important to our new system than Clint.

17. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

New rotation minutes?

Russ (36) Rivers (12)
    Harden (36) Gordon (12)
    Covington (32) Gordon (16)
    House (32) McLemore (16)
    PJ (36) Green (12)

Green filling in the rotation for Thabo? It would be nice to have at least one guy with at least some semblance of size getting some playing time. He's a legit small ball center.

And if anyone of the 9 guys is injured or resting, Thabo or Carroll are the first guys in to take their minutes?

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm pumped about the rest of this season. The energy is gonna be up on the court, that energy will makes it's way into the stands and all the while I'll rock out with my **** out celebrating the Ws. Playoffs is gonna be even better I hope. Crossing my fingers on this season... it feels like it's happening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was also the the motto of the @thadeus

20. Asian Sensation

There’s no way we continue playing PJ 35 minutes a night. That sort of defeats the purpose of signing Green IMO. We gotta keep Tucker as fresh and injury free as possible for the playoffs.

It shouldn’t be hard to find 15-20 minutes for Carroll between giving Harden/Covington/Gordon a couple more minutes rest each game and competing with House for more of his minutes.

topfive and D-rock like this.