1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sew

sew Member

"I thought he was shy!" -- Haters

Handles and htwnbandit like this.
  2. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I was talking to a buddy about "when this is going to die down." Imo, not anytime soon just because they are now going to spend the next 30 days going into each individual camp and asking their star player what they thing and how they feel. By the time they get through every camp, the season will be starting and there will be the whole draw of HBPs and our players' performance in general. This does not die down until 2020 off season imo.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already saw that in the replies and "his wife isn't going to be happy!"

:rolleyes:

sew likes this.
  4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Watching Get Up. They did a nice job of chopping up Correa interview to grab the parts that sound more excuse driven. Ignored all his comments about breaking down WS scoring, how the investigation cleared them in future years, etc.

Passan laughing in his interview. Mentioned batters being hit again. Said Astros should shut up and take it.

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Everyone: Astros should probably shut up. They're embarrassing themselves. Carlos needs to shut up. How dare he fire back at Cody!

Carlos: OK, cool. Shutting up, moving on. Ready for 2020.

Also everyone: Carlos, you don't get to decide when to move on! We do! No, you need to face the music!

#2425 J.R., Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

"But I thought he was shy" except he's not in a stadium filled with people and national TV cameras on him.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I'm still confused about a couple of things. How do people know the team fully benefited from this? especially in the playoffs? Didn't Fiers himself say they didn't do it in the 2017 playoffs to his knowledge? Is it a fact this scheme was still going on in the playoffs? Also, we had better Road stats than at home during the regular season (probably not in the playoffs though). Some players had better home stats than on the road but doesn't that put into question how effective or at least put a wrinkle in the idea that every single player benefited from this?

As many "schock jocks" we have in this world it is amazing when there is a holier than thou story that comes out and EVERY single media person will pile on without one person even taking the slightest opposite view point to try and truly put some of this in context. They keep using anonymous twitter people and using that "data" as facts instead of doing their own reporting on the subject to try and get a feel for the true effectiveness/ineffectiveness of this scheme.

I understand people being outraged by this but at least come by it honestly and don't just join the mob mentality because you are east/west coast bias. Actually use your brain and try and put this in perspective. Either way, Astros put this target on their back on their own which does really piss me off because I am of the opinion that it wasn't all that effective collectively for the team and the results were not worth the reward. It really is mind blowing that someone didn't stop this bullshit before it got too far.

everyday eddie, Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Handles

Handles Member

The media aren’t obligated to use their brain. We should never expect them to do that. The truth is boring and it doesn’t sell. What the media is doing right now sells.

At the end of the day, the Astros put themselves in this position. They made their bed and have to sleep in it. It really sucks to see and experience as a fan. Any logic applied to the situation says that the outrage is ridiculous, but emotion overrules logic.

Personally, I’m not convinced that sign stealing helped in the playoffs. Mostly because players have claimed that our sign stealing was “the worst kept secret in baseball”, which tells me that teams changed their sign sequences against us in the playoffs. That would immediately make our strategy ineffective. Not to mention we won 2 of 4 on the road and the dodgers (namely Bellinger) choked in key moments.

But again, logic doesn’t matter. With an emotional topic like this, the roaches in the media know what to do and that doesn’t include using brains.

#2428 Handles, Feb 17, 2020
    everyday eddie, RayRay10 and SS0101 like this.
  9. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Critical thinking, critically reading and analyzing is just not something most people are willing to do anymore. Reporters and journalists know it. People like Jomboy are a product of it and he also knows it. They are using that fact to drive the narrative.

For example I found it funny that yesterday morning Jeff Passan publishes an article talking about how this isnt the medias fault or agenda or whatever, but just Thursday after the apologies, the national media was saying "this isnt over until we say it is." BUT, they get away with it because they know people dont actually read or fact find or cross reference articles for themselves.

everyday eddie, mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...believe-cheating-punishment-was-harsh-enough/

The typically reserved Trout reported to spring training Monday and he did not hold back while discussing the Astros. He told reporters, including The Athletic's Fabian Ardaya, that he's lost respect for Houston, and thinks the punishment was light.

"They cheated ... I don't agree with the punishment ... I lost respect for some of those guys."

"Going up to the plate knowing what's coming ... that would be a lot of fun."

The Athletic's Marc Carig adds Trout said he feels the players should have been punished. The players escaped without punishment because MLB promised immunity in exchange for cooperating with the investigation.

Trout was also asked about the infamous Jose Altuve video, in which the second baseman refused to let his teammates rip off his jersey following his ALCS-clinching home run last year. Altuve says he didn't remove it because he's shy. Carlos Correa says it's because he has a bad tattoo.

"You can take my shirt off," Trout told Ardaya about the Altuve video. "If you hit a homer to send your team to the World Series at home, you can do whatever you want to me."

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

How does trout know how he would feel in that situation, he has never been close to anything related to a championship

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Folks here want to blame the media and everyone else but the reality is that the Astros did this to themselves. You can try to rationalize or spin it anyway you want but the sad fact is that they really didn't need to cheat. They were good enough to win it all without having to steal signs but now they're always going to be remembered in the same vein as the 1919 Chicago Black Sox. If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Yes, thanks for that. Very new and insightful information.

everyday eddie, mikol13, BigM and 2 others like this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

true that

ur smarter than that, why do you think the Astro even bother to use electronic devices to cheat

in the 2017 WS,
    • at LA, Dodger ace Kershaw was his usual self winning a low scoring affair
    • at Hou, Kershaw could not hold a 4-run lead, as Astro hitters quickly tied it up.
      • then the Dodger regained the lead by 3 and Kershaw could not hold the lead again
    • at Hou, Dodgers' 2nd best starter, Darvish, could not get past 2 innings
    sleight of hand on ur part to divert attention away from the issue of discussion, which is

Astros using electronic devices to steal signs at the expense of opposing pitcher.​

ur trying to muddying up issue by making Bellinger to be the issue

#2434 adoo, Feb 17, 2020
  15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It’s obvious the Astros were so caught up in the greed of winning it all that they never spent two seconds thinking about what it would feel like to be caught let alone what any punishments would be. It really sucks as lifelong fans to be in this position. This was not worth it at all. I’d rather root for an honest loser even if that means never winning a title. But, I have to place blame on the MLB for not doing more to stop this via enforcement.

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Problem is, everyone we faced in the playoffs was also “cheating” so no matter who won, a “cheater” was winning the World Series.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. SS0101

SS0101 Member

This is sickening to me. The players know what they are doing and implying when saying stuff like what Trout said. WOW. I am seriously contemplating creating my own niche on twitter of calling out all these dudes who play with "cheaters" and dont "stand up to them." Every single one of these guys plays with or played with a guy that uses "grip" on the ball. I know the old sentiment is that "grip" is used for just that, to "grip" the ball, and it "aint that bad." But advances in technology and technology applications have allowed us to verify that these foreign substances acutally help create and increase spin rate. So this is the pitchers' new "edge," and to say one form of cheating is ok vs another is just stupid imo. For those reasons, there is not a baseball player on this planet who has the right to throw stones imo.

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

a convenient claim,

what proof do you have ?

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Well Boston and Ny both got caught cheating in 2017? Is that not proof?

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.