1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sanders Bill Eliminates all Student Loans. Period

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jun 24, 2019.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

Why stop at student loans? Just cancel all debt with a pen stroke. o_O:rolleyes:

Os Trigonum, joshuaao and mick fry like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

nope. simply don't get rid of student loans. billions of debt is great for the younger generations. also how are you going to make so many people volunteer for the military without them getting help with the education that has outpaced inflation and wage growth. then the military complex that needs to make their money so we can have troops all over the world and killing people all across the globe. it's a great Great system no need to change a thing.

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Of course we don't .... unless we have current debt.

I don't believe this would ever get thru Congress.

They'll change the rules on lending but not in a million years will they cancel debt.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Of course they will need transportation, that’s why I’m holding off on buying that new corvette I got my eye on. I’m starting to like this idea of free stuff.

cml750 likes this.
  5. cml750

cml750 Member

I can't wait. I plan to finance a much bigger house, a new bass boat, a bay boat, a new truck, and what the heck, I may just get a Corvette too. Why should we worry? Someone else will pay for it all right????? o_O

Corrosion and mick fry like this.
  6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hell yeah and btw see you in class.
    [​IMG]

cml750 likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why bring up something that nobody is proposing?

dobro1229, JayGoogle and Nook like this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

Any forgiveness needs to contemplate those who paid off their loans or forgiveness will create a “lost generation” of people who were too young for cheap college but too old for forgiveness to benefit them. Those people will be massively poorer over the course of their life then the folks who came before and who will come after.

To say, “sucks to suck” to those people isn’t good enough.

No candidate has addressed this.

jiggyfly and Corrosion like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I can’t wait. I plan on filing bankruptcy a half dozen times, committing fraud against veterans, cheating on my wife with a p*rn star, withholding aid to force an investigation into a rival and lying to assassinate a general of another nation. Why should I worry?? Some people will just make excuses for me and defend me no matter what I do.

joshuaao, RayRay10 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Sounds like achievable goals, I say go for it but what’s that have to do with free ****?

12. cml750

cml750 Member

Because forgiving student debt is just as stupid as forgiving all debt.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wipe out interest. That's more palatable. Have government subsidize interest at X cents on the dollar to loaners, I still don't think that's easily fundable but its better than the OP pipe dream. Future interest on student loans is capped at X% -- stop giving them out like candy. College has turned into something that people are almost socially obligated to go to lest they become ostracized. So much demand and people go in and get liberal arts degrees with no chance of a ROI capable of even breaking even on the student loan debt -- and that cycle just drives up the cost of tuition even more.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

The whole debt forgiveness opens up the flood gates that’s not being considered. You can’t limit it to recent high school graduates that would be discrimination so what you will have is people of all ages and stages in life that will go to college or back to college and get degrees in what they feel would benefit them at that time. Where do you draw the line and can you?

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

cml750 likes this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Duh, obviously there would have to be guidelines.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Like?

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While true, why aren't we considering that the younger generations that have to deal with these massive loans are also lost? They are taking much longer to start their lives?

Also, any proposal for loan forgiveness is tied into cheaper college, neither Warren or Sanders proposes a pure loan forgiveness plan that does nothing for affordable college in the future. So the younger generation would hopefully be where Baby boomers were at when they went to college.

I really want to hear alternative solutions for how to deal with this student debt, Maybe Bernie's or Warren's plan need working out but it's closer to solving the problem than I've heard and I think it would really help the housing market and not only that, markets that have to do with moving out...buying furniture and stuff.

[​IMG]

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No campaigning on cancelling student debt is smarter than campaigning on cancelling all debt. Especially when running a campaign targeted at youth turnout.

He’s campaigning on values. College educated people aren’t dumb enough to believe he can do this with a stroke of a pen as president. The issue is student loan debt dragging down the equity of the middle class. I’m glad it’s an issue at least one party cares about. The answer for your party is give that college grads bosses bosses bosses boss a tax break and maybe a pay increase will happen... maybe.

Does Bernie have a bill that can technically do what he’s proposing? Yes. After going through Congress though it’ll probably look a student loan refinance program which at least helps address the issue with students. If he ran on a student loan refinance program he’d end up with maybe a small grant or something non effective after going through Congress. Everybody understands Democracy other than Trump voters who obviously believe the President is the Supreme Leader.

Campaigning on going bold on student loan debt is smart unless you believe young people being disengaged on the political process is a good thing.

*Lastly... a “Mexico is going to pay for it” Trumper has no right to be giving Dems a hard time for expensive looking policy proposals.

#199 dobro1229, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    FranchiseBlade and JayGoogle like this.
  20. cml750

cml750 Member

So you are basically admitting it is just pandering to naive young people for votes in this post. Congratulations, you figured this one out. I knew you could do it!!! Then sadly you drift off into a bunch of TDS nonsense. When your argument fails flat on its face just make it about Trump who lives rent free in your mind 24/7. I hate to tell you this but get ready, he will be living there for another five years.

Corrosion and mick fry like this.