1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Connecticut Girl Track Athletes Fighting To Get Transgenders Off Their Track

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

And it's unfortunate that you are a moron.

dachuda86 and cml750 like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Its already in MMA just google Fallon Fox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallon_Fox

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He has a habit of doing that .... don't go down the rabbit hole.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter how many times you say it does, all of the doctors of the APA say you are wrong.

Keep on Trump-ing the issue, though. If you repeat it enough, some people will believe you.

malakas, Nook and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mainly himself

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, think there was another, forgot the name though.

I'm just saying for the people that think it is okay I want them to keep that same energy for combat sports.

I know some people will look at Fox's record and see that loss but that isn't the point. I'm sure most of the ladies in the UFC could kick my ass for example.

7. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

This post nails my view on it. The idea of starting a transition at such an early age is disturbing to me. I can't find any common ground with a view that believes a transgender man that identifies as a woman and is transition should be competing with women. It's not fair to the women.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Did you ever see the East German Olympic teams of the 70's?

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I think you should go review what an X and Y chromosome is and what sex is. Obviously you fell asleep in biology 101. If you feel as though you are not what those say you are, then you have an abnormal psychology. I would love to see what you are citing from the APA, which mind you, is a psychiatric organization which faces public pressure. But please share it! Does it address biology and the chromosomes I mentioned above?

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I like option two because like you said:

There will be no clean solution that appeases everyone.

Say it with me everyone. /End thread

Except for biology deniers. Go ahead and post your soft science so we can laugh at how you've lost the plot.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

It is truly sad that this is even an issue. Allowing boys to compete against girls in sports is the epitome of craziness. It says a whole lot about the level that society has sunk to with all the PC bullcrap. There is no sane argument that can be made to justify letting boys compete against girls in sports. This is flat out discrimination against girls/women. The simple solution would be to let trans students only compete against other trans students.

I will say that it is refreshing to see even many of the left leaning people who frequent the D&D see the issues with this.

dachuda86 likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find it very ironic that the OP is citing Galileo in this. The argument against Galileo basically follows the rhetoric used to argue against trans. That it's obvious the Sun goes around the Earth because we can see everyday the Sun rising in the East and then setting in the West. The same argument goes that it's obvious there are only two genders because we mostly just see two genders and two genders are needed for reproduction.

As other posters have noted that isn't what science says and there is a range of genders. There are people who biologically have not just XX and XY chromosomes but also XXY or XYY chromosomes. There are people who because of neonatal hormone exposure may be genetically one gender but express traits of another gender. In many animals there are range of genders including species that can change gender.

All of that said this isn't a scientific question but a cultural question as sports are a cultural institution. Things like weight classes, age and skill divisions are all artificial constructs designed to give more equal level of competition. In this case especially for youth sports there is a good argument for keeping those distinctions.

In the Caster Semanya case the IAAF established that even though she is a woman she is biologically intersexed with a higher testosterone level than most women. That gave her a natural advantage as much as if a female competitor had taken hormone therapy. The solution is that we are going to have to test to see a competitor's hormone levels are and if they are at levels that matches what is considered normal women. For Semanya she has to take hormone therapy to lower her testosterone level.

I think that solution is going to be unworkable for youth sports and in the interest of equal competition we might just have to keep transgendered athletes competing in their own biological gendered divisions. Also this might have to be taken on a sport by sport basis as some sports size and strength might not make as much of a difference.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good post, but I arrive at the opposite conclusion for youth sports. "Equal competition" (which isn't possible, anyway) is less important (to me) than avoiding putting rules in place that further stigmatizes transgender youths.

So some kids have to learn that no matter how hard they train and how much work they put in, others will just naturally have more of an advantage. Why is that such a problem? It's a good life lesson.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What crazy is that you consider someone who has transitioned from a boy to a girl to still be a boy. It displays a willful ignorance of the issue and worst of all, an unwillingness to educate yourself and learn the facts. You rather cling to prejudices and stereotypes that you were brought up with than become a critical thinker.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The purpose of this thread isnt to argue against transexuals. I wouldn't challenge the science that some women are born with more male traits that causes them to grow facial hair for instance. Im sure its very tough to grow up like that.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

[​IMG]

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As a coach and referee in youth sports you have to consider why we have divisions to begin with. I agree with you that equal competition is actual impossible to achieve but we still seek it. We could just do away with things like age, weight in skill divisions. For instance we could have 5 year olds compete against 13 year olds or in wrestling have wrestlers weighing 90 lbs competing against ones weighing 200 lbs. We don't do that because in sports we like the idea of a somewhat equal division where the competitors are at least roughly physically equal so that there is a sense that in this division all the competitors have a shot at winning and not because one is innately physically superior. In my own sport there are skill divisions and while anyone can compete in the advanced divisions it would be considered dishonorable and unseemly to enter a black belt into white belt category.

With youth sports to just throw children into competition with opponents who are not on their level physically or skill level would cause a lot of youth sports to dry up. This is why we have so many divisions already. Regarding many sports also there is also the risk of injury of allowing kids of disparate physical abilities to compete against each other. If we allowed 7 year old kids to compete against 15 year olds in hockey you're likely to see a lot of injured 7 year olds.

One more factor to consider specifically regarding trans athletes. Consider the Astro cheating scandal and why there is so much anger about it. Sign stealing is an accepted part of baseball except when technological means are employed to do it. For trans athletes the transition is only possible through technology and there will always be that sense that this is an essentially an artificial advantage. For example Oscar Pistorious wasn't allowed to compete in regular track competitions even though he couldn't run without his artificial legs. It was only when after extensive testing showed that they weren't actually an advantage was he allowed to run. Now we could do that with Trans athletes and do like the IAAF does with Semanya and test trans athletes to make sure that they are within the physical norms of their gender. That is simply not practical with youth sports.

As I said before this is a cultural issue and not one of science. I agree trans people should be accepted and not discriminated against but at the same time there is also the principle of equal competition.

malakas likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The OP is challenging the science regarding gender and arguing against transexuals.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

They might not be a boy anymore but if they still have the musculature and upperbody strength of a man then there is a disparity when it comes to certain athletics. Caster Semanya isn't a man but she has the muscalature of a man and is probably physically stronger than many men. The IAAF has deemed her to have a biological advantage of the women she is competing against and have stated she has to address that advantage if she wants to compete.

We already divide competitors into divisions such as weight classes and not allowing a 200 lb wrestler to fight a 90 lb wrestler isn't discrimination it is an effort to equalize innate advantages.

malakas likes this.