1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's going on with Randalls grocery stores?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Feb 6, 2020.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Used to shop at the Randall's on San Felipe out of necessity, their produce was decent but also limited. I distinctly remember having to skip out on bananas a few times because they were overly ripe, freaking bananas. As soon as the new HEB opened down the street, I never went back.

Also any place that requires a card, or even typing in your phone number, to buy a regular priced item is ridiculous.

R0ckets03 and arkoe like this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I guess location has a lot to do with it. The Kroger by my house is YUGE and has like 15 self-check registers. It's always super clean with wide isles, great produce, great florist, massive gift card kiosks, and even sells clothes and furniture etc.

I still can't get over the fact that Randall's doesn't even have self-checkout. They are literally DECADES behind the times.

MadMax likes this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

We had a Randall's in town with 4 self check registers. They pulled them out because they sucked. According to their manager, they weren't worth the time nor the effort.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Ahhh Randall's...when one first opened near my 'hood (Rushwood in NW off of Veterans Memorial) it was a huge event. My family shopped there a lot because it was clean (vs the Gerland's down the street) and it had pretty much everything in there to entice a kid to be in the store like their video rental place and their toy aisle. Then *BOOM* it just went away a few years later and the shopping center that it anchored died a slow and painful death as well (RIP Dairy Queen, Walgreens, Blockbuster, Little Caesar's).

Up here in DFW I've never set foot in its brother, Tom Thumb, because 1. I know prices are going to be ridiculous vs Kroger and 2. I don't want to start crying in the produce section because of nostalgia.

I hope/pray an HEB would pop up here one of these days and HEB actually purchased land right next to my neighborhood up here in the Frisco/Prosper/Little Elm triangle so maybe that or Central Market will go in.

By FAR the worst grocery store that I've ever set foot into is Food Lion. Jesus did that place suck.

5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I recently moved to a location that has Randalls within a walking distance. I'm used to shopping at HEB. I needed a few items, so decided to walk over to Randalls. My thoughts as soon as I walked in: Small (which I don't mind, I actually prefer it), lacking variety (I'm so spoiled by the variety in nearly every category at HEB), where are the employees?, and lastly, only 3/12 registers open...at 2 pm...on a Saturday.

buffalobills!!! and BigM like this.
  6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Best grocery store EVAR was that neo-Fiesta store in Clear Lake (45 and Nasa Road 1...opened early 90s?).

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That place was legit wtf when it opened -- so massive.

buffalobills!!! and boomboom like this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But the Bunker Hill location kills it with the wine samples on Sunday.

Randall's upgraded grocery stores. (Dont remember early Kroger presence). Now
    H-E-Bs are nice without high prices and Wal-Marts are very well maintained discount stores

Remember Albertsons tried to compete in Houston

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Exactly. Many times I don’t need the variety HEB offers but am glad they have it. I’d go to Randall’s if they had a self checkout or a reasonable amount of employees.

Riz likes this.
  10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I remember back in the day, Randall's was the nice / clean store. Prices were usually higher, and was one of my first cashier jobs.

When I lived in Dallas, I went to Tom Thumb, but because it was closer and there were no HEBs. Now that I'm back in Houston, HEB / Central Market is all I shop...I can't believe they're still around...

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

You talking about the UFO? I still recall those billboard ads going down to Galveston.

boomboom likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I remember what a disappointment it was to find out that UFO stood for Unbelievable Fiesta Opening. I think this was in 1990.

I actually part-time office in the right hand side of what used to be that store now. There's a massive, defunct hydroponics farm that I can access, it's set up sort of like IMAX seating with all of the fixtures, plumbing and bulbs still there. Now the janitors use it as a closet.

boomboom and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Both Kingwood Randall’s are closing. I worked at first Randall’s in kingwood when it opened in the mid early 90’s. Back then it beat whatever competition was caddy corner to them (location of the old Holiday Foods) until HEB moved in that old spot.
    Then HEB expanded across the street And took over the area. No one went to Randall’s anymore and then I think it flooded in Harvey.

Fun fact: I once sacked George Foreman’s wife’s groceries while he waited in the car.

She bought an entire trunk full of Perrier water and tipped well.

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

It isn't "caddy corner," stupid.

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/31/caddy-corner/

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL. Fatty is drunk at 3 in the afternoon and on his **** again.

Clutch should put you in the Catty Corner.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I worked at the Randall's on Memorial @ Dairy Ashford as a kid during summers as a sacker. I'd always make sure I was there at his aisle when Art Howe would shop there so we could talk Astros on the way to his car :)

Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Nah, just recovering from last night.

18. Buck Turgidson

Dude! That's awesome. I had no such game during the 3 weeks I worked for Randall's.

MadMax likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Sugar Land Randall's closed down. I met Kelly Roland and Spencer Tillman there once.

Kelly Roland is so fine, sheesh. She is surprisingly tiny too. Google says she is 5'8, but that can't be right. If I had more game, I could have been her Stedman.