1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Further reviewing Ryan Broekhoff's 3pts shooting showreel, it makes me feel thrilled he is DA kinda sharp shooter we've been lack of for a long time, who can come off the bench give either russ or jh reliable and sustainable fire support while either of our backcourt tandem leaving court for a short rest (during that span, Ryan's 3s allow us a comfort cushion)
    in addition most aussie are those bulldogs long being proved in their national league or euro league, that means we dunt need to worry about MDA nailing him in the bench once DM got him signed. (Frazier, Howard or Clemons, 1-2 of them should release to G league, once further roster movement made)

my question is, obviously his catch&shoot 3s and running the floor w/o the ball are money in the bank many playoff teams coveting for, why the hell mavs waived him instead of others on their roster, think about it, mavs core is doncic-pozingis-hardaway jr, that's all! rest of their roster are just bunch nobodies who are not brilliant and reliable in terms of 3pt shooting (Dpowell injuried, MKG not good at 3s).
    I just feel puzzled. should this guy didn't have any deadly flaw, DM would have signed him with thrilled w/o any hesitation.

#901 DeBeards, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Moe harkless has no choice but to stay with the Knicks or this would be his fourth team in less than a year : /

3. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I think we can try to see any good power forward instead of center. We need to upgrade our bench as our existing bench only can score 5 points all together. We need a defensive type and able to get 10 points per match players in the bench now.

saleem likes this.
  4. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I would love to get Moe Harkless if he is bought out. Another player to watch for is Demare Carrol from the Spurs. He is older but still has some game left in him.

JuNx and da_juice like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Broekhoff, Johnson and Anderson are not projects. They are journeymen. Journeymen with the skillsets that fit our new system.

A system that most teams do not employ, not full time anyway.

Bender and Bolden are projects.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Broekhoff recently returned from broken leg.

Mavs deemed him to be most expendable because he plays same position as Finney-Smith, Courtney Lee, Justin Jackson and now MKG.

Mavs have too many SF.

https://pickandroll.com.au/sen-ryan-broekhoff-on-being-unexpectedly-waived-and-what-lies-ahead/

DeBeards likes this.
  7. ilias

ilias Member

I hear Broekhoff has interest from Euroleague teams. He would be a good fit with the Pocket Rockets, but he may prefer a multi-year offer from a Euroleague contender,

saleem likes this.
  8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

D-rock likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

D-rock please. Justin Anderson was not fitting in with the Nets style of PnR or Iso, kick outs to 3-pt shooters.
    Anderson was asked to be a spot up shooter but shot 0% from 3. That tends to be an indication that you may
    not fit the 5-man out sets which would require Anderson to be a spot up shooter for the most part.

Westbrook, Sefolosha sometimes need to play the baseline offensive presence when Harden has the ball. So we
    don’t always have a true 5-man out scheme.

Broekhoff is 29-ish but is relatively new to the NBA. For Dallas to replace him basically for a lesser player in MKG
    IMO gives me reason for pause. MKG May be a poorer defender than Broekhoff if you go by the numbers. And MKG
    is a poor offensive shooter.......a younger Sefolosha perhaps. Guarding the best wing defender giving MKG
    poor defensive numbers??

Tyler Johnson is a Player Morey would want. He tends to circle back for players he pursued in the past.
    Houston $5M+ space basically gives the Rockets a little bidding money for a vet like Harkless and another
    vet. Make no mistake about it.....the Rockets will be in a bidding war with the L.A. teams and other contenders.
    Clippers traded for M Morris but the Lakers were also after Markieff and Marcus at the trade deadline.
    Since the Lakers failed to make a deal, the will go after Harkless (they didn’t use money on Collison after all).

Rockets can always circle back for a player like Tyler Johnson if we (Rockets strike out on another vet). Giving
    the project player or Tyler Johnson (Rockets have abundance of PG/SG’s) might be the difference in losing
    out in the bidding war for a player.. Who knows.

I can say the 10-day contracts are guaranteed and you just can’t take if off the books with no more trades
    going on. Rockets will add payroll gentle without an ability to cut payroll other than waiving the player and
    possibly paying a partial amount. I guess I’m saying even $500,000 dollars can screw up plans for a better
    player that becomes available.

Carpenters rule is measure twice and cut once.....always under cut because you can always trim off a little
    if need be, but you can’t add wood when you over cut. Morey has to stay under the luxury tax, so Morey
    is going to measure the money twice, trice and quadice (LoL). The vets that guarantee a championship
    won’t be released by their teams. Those players would have allowed Morey to go over the luxury tax.
    MKG was not that player. Neither is Tyler Johnson.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's just a fibula injury.

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  11. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]
    Best wishes to that aussie

D-rock and saleem like this.
  12. onreego

onreego Member

Right now? Which players do you think Mike would play in front of them that are currently available? This is an honest question because maybe I'm missing someone available.

13. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I think I’m just bored cause I want them to sign pretty much anyone. Now I’m dying for them to sign Broekhoff

DeBeards, daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think signing Broekhoff woudl be more of a long-term option type thing. It's not clear if he'd take a ton of minutes from the group that is House/BMac/Rivers/Harden/Tucker/RoCo, which are all kind of interchangeable to a degree.

He MIGHT get some, though, and if you found out quickly that in a 5 out, shoot em in high volume offense that he thrives, that'd be a plus. As much as anything if he fits a little bit, it hopefully gives you options for the offseason.

The reality for this year is they need more of a Moe Harkless type... a BIGGER Broekhoff.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I keep popping in here to eyeball if anything FUN might be going down and it's just the same jabronis writing - Moe Harkless - over & over. Meh.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

That was in article I linked above.

But he would rather stay in NBA then play overseas, including option to go home and play in Australian League.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey: “We’ll have our pick of free agents”

also Morey: signs nobody.

Deuce and justtxyank like this.
  18. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

jr smith or jamal crawford for me plus a serviceable 4/5 player..no one’s scoring consistently whenever gordon is injured

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good points but shortsighted for a team doubling down on championship run. This could be MDA, maybe even Morey's, final season here.

Bring in players that can play, remove players that cannot - Tyson, Clemons, Harty will play no meaningful minutes in new 5 out/switch everything system.

Rockets window is now.

There is no guarantee that Harkless (fills only ONE of 2 open roster spots) even becomes available let alone convinced to sign with Rockets (even though he would be a starter on exciting team contending for championship - but he's just happy to play at Garden).

And finally, vet min is not going to put Rockets above tax. MKG was a vet min signing for Dallas.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bigger and/or more athletic Broekhoff would be fantastic, but that kind of player would not be available or if he was has already been signed to 10 Day by the Suns.

That said, 6'7 Broekhoff (6'10 wingspan) is bigger, longer, better rebounder, better rim protector and so much better 3ball shooter than:

6"3 McLemore 6'8 wingspan
    6'6 House 6'8 wingspan
    6'3 Rivers 6'7 wingspan
    5'9 Clemons 6'2 wingspan

Facts.

DeBeards and hakeem94 like this.