1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you ever seen someone that can get to rim with this kind of speed/athleticism like westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IBTL, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes I have but what I wanted to say is...

Since I've now started watching Westbrook much more, I realize that his greatest asset is his power. He just bullies tf out of smaller guards, and even some much bigger players. This realization actually makes me feel better about how his game will age - if his game was 100% reliant on speed and athleticism then that will have a rapid decline in the next few years and we will be screwed. But, if he's able to essentially play the Morey version of a low post player (which he has been doing this season) then I think he can be a great player throughout his contract.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

mvp/pre d. rose

4. MD_in_Training

In addition to his athleticism, we have to note that WB has basically a 6’5 frame. If you look at him standing next to Harden, their height difference is mainly coming from the size of their heads. Russ’ shoulders are same height as Harden’s.

Deuce, DeBeards, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Kobe and Jordan?

BaselineFade, daywalker02 and lw17 like this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

You trying to say westbrook has a turtlehead?

seclusion, Richie_Rich, smp and 3 others like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Prime D Rose

8. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

I
    I"ve been watching basketball a long time and I haven't seen anyone with his combination of explosiveness and power.Wade was the closest.. but we wasn't THIS quick..one guy can almost never stop the lay up ,it's always multiple defenders that have to meet him at the rim.

IBTL likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Would be nice to use some of that on D too.

DD

D-rock likes this.
  10. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Yeah hes similar but nowhere near as durable or as big

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

nobody is saying he was as durable and D. Rose isn't small. He's just a big as wb. very similiar in height, weight, wingspan etc throughout their college/nba career. Prime Rose is the closest you'll see at speed, athleticism, and relentlessness in the way they played

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Wade is the closest that I have seen, but brodie can get to the rim faster than anyone i have ever seen.

D-rock likes this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

franchise was amazing! always good to see those highlights! thanks for sharing

Astrodome likes this.
  15. rockbox

I think the quickness and relentlessness is very comparable but the physicality that Westbrook plays with is amazing to me. He plays with a physicality of Karl Malone. He doesn't shy away from contact at all. Harden does this also but he doesn't get up like Westbrook so it isn't as visually impressive.

D-rock likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

its interesting how he's able to bump guys off and be a bit more physical compared to others in the league, including Harden. maybe guys need to flop more on wb like they do harden etc.. well hopefully not, cause the trend these days is always to call an offensive foul

pr0wler and hakeem94 like this.
  17. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

This clip really shows off WB's explosiveness. He went from both hands on knee to finishing an alley oop in a blink of an eye.

D-rock and IBTL like this.
  18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

He was just as capable of initiating offense. It was just a different game back then. Dump the rock off to Dream and let him eat.

BamBam likes this.
  19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

i believe russ's vertical leaping is much more powerful and balanced than d.rose…should russ try to accomplish the same move, he gonna complete way more better in the air.
    Young D.rose did too much disguised dribble, ankle breaker crossover which largely relying on his quickness and explosive first step, but that worn and torn his knees.

#39 DeBeards, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  20. rockbox

I've been watching Drexler since the Phi Slamma Jamma days. He's never been able to initiate the offense. He didn't have the handles or the vision which is why he was a prototypical wing. He was an amazing finisher and was great in the open court.

CCity Zero, Plowman and D-rock like this.