1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook stopped shooting 3-pointers without Houston telling him to do it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kingkingston, Feb 12, 2020.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

[​IMG]

Houston Rockets point guard Russell Westbrook has been on an absolute tear of late, putting up some MVP-caliber numbers over the past couple of weeks. In his past six outings, the 31-year-old has been averaging 31.7 points (on an astounding 58.3 percent shooting clip), 12.0 rebounds, 9.0 assists, and 3.0 steals per ballgame.

We’ve gotten used to seeing Westbrook average a triple-double in the past, so this type of output is no longer out of the ordinary by his high standards. However, one baffling statistic that stands out is the significant dip in the nine-time All-Star’s attempts from 3-point territory. Westbrook has a career average of 3.7 attempts from distance, but over the six-game span described above, he has mysteriously averaged just 0.3 shots from beyond the arc.

As it turns out, though, this is something Westbrook conjured up on his own, without any directive from the Rockets coaching staff. This is via Michael Pina of SB Nation.

According to a team source, nobody in the organization told Westbrook to stop shooting threes, and the team expects his period of adjustment to continue as we go deeper into the season.

Westbrook has been terrible from 3-point country this season, making just 23.5 percent of his attempts (4.3) per game. The last time we saw the former MVP shoot this poorly from distance was during his sophomore year (22.1 percent). Things obviously weren’t clicking for Westbrook, so perhaps he realized that it would be a better idea to be more aggressive on the offensive end instead of settling for 3-pointers.

This decision appears to have worked wonders for Westbrook, and hopefully, this begins to translate to wins for the Rockets, who are currently at the sixth spot in the West with a 29-18 record.
    https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-ne...ointers-without-houston-telling-him-to-do-it/

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I mean it's a little embarrassing that he can't even be a threat to shoot from out there, but he is so phenomenal at what he does that it works out. Crazy stuff.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

No one told him, they just showed him the math.

He is smart like that.

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

After reviewing game footage
    Westbrick has come to the conclusion that 3’s are bad for him.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I never thought I’d say this, but I love watching Russel play. He’s like a lighting bolt to the hoop. Micheal Dickerson thinks he’s fast.

htownrox1, DeBeards, ak99999 and 8 others like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Morey gave him a 2008 macbook with the file "tracybeaggressive.mov" loaded on to it.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Me either

smp, DeBeards, Riz and 7 others like this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Russell Westbrook should be a NFL Wide Receiver, Track Star but he picked the NBA.

He can be a 3 Sport Star if he wanted to.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

But some guy in another thread said the answer was for the whole team to shoot more 3s including RW??

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

When you are shooting like 20% from long range, and you’re great at driving to the basket, you really shouldn’t need anyone to say anything. So, I’m happy he figured this out.

11. riko

riko Member

It’s amazing that once he enters environment where he is surrounded by smart offensive players and coaches he understands what works and doesn’t.

It’s amazing turnaround on his part. He can get even better

joshuaao, everyday eddie and D-rock like this.
  12. magichat281

magichat281 Member

I like watching westbrook play. He makes me like watching rockets again. I ll watch the rockets but i just didnt like how we play and cringe at alot of dribble dribble 1v1 . I love seeing westbrook take on 5 people on a fast break its pretty badass.

deb4rockets, Bo6, PeterKingX and 6 others like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Russ too but before him Rockets were the 2nd best team in the NBA.

Not a fan of winning I take it.

DeBeards and rocketexastros like this.
  14. caneks

caneks Rookie

58.3% 2pts is equal to 38.9% 3pts. good enough for not taking 3s.

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

"According to a team source, nobody in the organization told Westbrook to stop shooting threes."

Yeah. If I were a team source, that's what I'd say, too.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

so.... this is either BS... or our coaching is just non existent....

I mean if MDA or whoever watched WB shooting 3s this year and didnt tell him to limit them and focus on driving to the rim... then even the most obvious and fundamental conversations arent happening...

i hope this is just bs...

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t care who decided it just as long as he continues to stop shooting them.

D-rock, charlieaustin, IBTL and 4 others like this.
  18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this from the same source that says Fertitta is willing to spend big ?

19. rockets13champs

He’s basically doing what Ben Simmons does. But with more aggression

D-rock likes this.
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I witnessed Russ become Robin on his own team in OKC because he wanted PG13 to be more comfortable in his roll and it was better for the team. I don't think this is that surprising.

Can Russ teach Harden to be self aware?

lol