1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Greed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Feb 11, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Anybody watch this?

It's amazing how people will just give somebody their money without doing any research.

And then they will continue to give money because they don't want to admit they may have gotten taken.

https://www.nbc.com/american-greed/video/the-house-flipping-reality-star-fraudster/4029182

https://www.nbc.com/american-greed/video/the-fake-princes-royal-scam/4091638

The Manafort one was pretty good.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/08/...t-5-minutes-of-the-paul-manafort-episode.html

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yep. Financial crime for me is like true crime for Murderenos.

I've even read Bad Blood the book about Theranos, Big short, Spider Network. Love that ****.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yep, I watch it daily.

Oh wait, is this a TV show or movie or something?

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nice.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They had an episode on Therannos, will read up on the Spider Network.

Why do you think people still fall for this stuff with the internet and all?

And why do they keep giving the perpetrator money?

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

people refuse to think they would be dumb enough to fall for a scam.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Avid viewer of the show.
    With respect to the USA, a lot of Americans are eager to point out how corrupt various countries around the world are -Russia, Nigeria, etc come to mind. Which is definitely true, but it's also great to see corruption in America brought to the public on a show like this.
    (Of course the difference between America and a lot of other countries is that the corrupt individuals are more often than not, arrested and brought to some form of justice).

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah but at some point all the signs are there and they keep giving money.

What also amazes me is that the perpetrators have no end game it seems they would get the money and leave the country at some point but they just keep trying to scam more people.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

One of my best friends was featured in an episode. I even helped this company out before the **** hit the fan. Sadly, this is a very one-sided episode that simply doesn't know the full story.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/100543789

10. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, I love American Greed.

Great show.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I absolutely love this show as it shines a light on how financial fraud crimes come into being. True crime stories like these are a favorite of mine. As an aside, back in the day I worked for a company that did business with WorldCom. I travelled to OKC and Jackson, MS several times and even got to meet one (recently deceased) Bernard Ebbers. That whole operation smelled funny from the beginning and it just didn't feel right.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So whats the full story?

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Loooong story. Cliff notes:
    Oncale and Wahab stole the company from Chris, saying they were bought out by "Black Diamond" in Africa, when, in fact, it was a shell company bought by Oncale & Wahab to remove Chris from the business.
    Oncale and Wahab start comingling the assets, with Wahab actually trying to start a power company with the deposits.
    Oncale figures out they are screwed and runs to the FBI to throw everyone under the bus: He gets 10 years.
    Chris was obviously still receiving some revenue because the FBI went after him.
    I was told Chris could've pleaded out and got 2 years, but he thought he did nothing wrong, so he went to trial.
    This was right after the Madoff scandal, so the jury was out for blood.
    Chris, seeing the jury wasn't going in his favor before the sentencing, went and bought a dozen Rolex watches and ran towards Mexico.
    Right before he got to Mexico, he decided for the jury to decide the verdict before he bailed.
    Judge finds out about the Rolex scandal and denies bail because of it.
    Chris gets 45 years. Wahab gets 48.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

45 years?

Christ, nobody gets that much time in these cases usually.

I need to read up on it again.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yep, but this was right after Madoff. Hopefully he gets his sentence reduced, but he's already been in 10 years.

Last time we spoke was through prison email several years ago. The email site was horrifically outdated and he just emailed that he gets drunk every night.

Pic of all of us in better times.

[​IMG]