1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think she'll drop out after Super Tuesday. If she can't finish better than fourth in a neighboring state with demographics that appeal to her, she won't fare much better in places like South Carolina and Nevada.

I've always liked Warren and feel she is one of the few people in politics who both understands and earnestly wants to solve some existential issues in the country. I think the right "saw her coming," so to speak, and opened early lines of attack with the Native American stuff (which she compounded with that awful explanation last year) and the dye was cast early on. Add to that that I do think there is a degree of difficulty that comes with female candidates who forcefully articulate problems and solutions being held to a different standard than men and she has been fighting an uphill battle ever since.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. A lot of her problems have been self-inflicted.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Yeah, if it weren't for her pesky personality you strike me as somebody who would be all over policy proposals like expanded financial industry regulation, raising taxes on wealthier Americans and corporations to fund increased access to healthcare and paid family leave.

She's just shrill, though, right?

joshuaao and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I really hope she drops out soon and endorses Amy instead of Bernie

RayRay10 and justtxyank like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This has nothing to with the Native American stuff IMO.

Her downfall was the M4A when she dodged questions and then walked her support back.

I don't think she was getting very good advice.

joshuaao likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eh...

At this point a brokered convention seems like a real possibility so there's a good chance that a candidate like Warren tries to stay in to the end as a compromise candidate.

If Bernie has a lot of delegates but not enough, there is no way the party can nominate Bloomberg with a floor vote. The Bernie voters would absolutely revolt.

Warren might be an acceptable candidate if she has enough support still.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Oh I agree. I only cited the Native American stuff because, to me, it was one of the first attacks she didn't have a good response for when it became the basis for early smears against her in right wing media (yes, calling her "Pocahontas" is a smear).

Her inarticulate plan on Medicare for All was a much bigger faux pas and did a lot to undercut her "plans for that" persona. She was so desperate to avoid saying that taxes would increase (but there'd be no more co-pays, premiums, deductibles, etc. - you know, the things that make our system so bad!) that she lost momentum.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Her answer to the voter about the college loan debt cancellation plan wasn't a home run either. That was bound to piss folks off.

11. HTM

HTM Member

Somewhat coincided with her nose dive... obviously not the entire reason for her collapse but might be a factor. Hard to quantify that.

12. Major

Major Member

Warren's problem is that she will likely end up with one 3rd place finish and a bunch of 4th-6th place finishes and virtually no delegates of her own. Maybe a top finish in Massachusetts. I don't know how you can turn that into being the compromise candidate. It seems like Pete or Amy would be more likely if they end up needing a compromise candidate of some sort. They both appeal to a wide range of voters, and Amy really has relatively few major negatives as of now at least.

That said, there's a long way to go, and in 3 weeks, those two could also be part of the scrap heap.

You know the gears are turning in Hillary's mind right now. :D

joshuaao, jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. mick fry

mick fry Member

She needs to own it and stop talking out of both sides of her mouth. Why is she hiding?

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Or when talking about the millions of common folk and not yourself. Those millions make a lot more impact than your little ol private jet, am I right?

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Credit where credit is due: despite the terrible campaign she’s run, sinking ship feeling and non-existent enthusiasm from her supporters....she’s still polling around 12% nationally and sitting in a comfortable 3rd place going into NV.

I also expect her to be the most aggressive attack dog against Bloomberg going into tonight’s debate. She very well might get a little bump and put together a respectable showing in NV.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't understand why you are giving her credit, she should be leading this race because she had tapped into both lanes the liberal and moderate.

She came in 4th in NH that tells you everything.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She gets credit because, despite doomsayers like you, it isn't already over for her.

RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

It seems we have Amystans and Warrenstans now.

The democratic primary is amazing and shows how tribal we have become as a country.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It isn't over.

I think her most viable path to the nomination now is being the compromise candidate out of the convention.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Did yall see she is getting sued by real American hero George Zimmerman. lol