1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

My biggest issue is not beating the Nationals.

We should have TWO f****** championships.

2. msn

msn Member

Fred Brocklander says "Hiii" while grinning maliciously and holding up three fingers on one hand, and the middle finger on the other.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Not sure MLB is still a sport. It may have switched genres to Reality TV at this point.

Yankees behind some huge new controversy involving players not on their team? Queue Peter Venkman: "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!"

BigM likes this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Trolling or what?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The fact that you can't tell this is trolling shows a lot about some Astros fans.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. SuraGotMadHops

As I have said consistently in this thread and many others, I already give zero effs about the Astros illegal sign stealing nor does it change anything about how I feel about our title ...but I now give negative effs until MLB investigates the Yankees. Unless NYY are investigated this whole situation is a complete mockery.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

In an incredibly lame and laughably pathetic way...

REEKO_HTOWN and marks0223 like this.
  10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The thing that I keep coming back to and I think other baseball fans will is the warning issued in 2017 by Manfred over the Red Sox sign stealing.

Before the warning I think that right or wrong, teams could plead ignorance or "everyone was doing it", but after the warning there is no excuse. That's not to say there weren't still other teams doing what the Astros did, but as this spins out of control in the media I feel like everyone is pointing at the Yankees prior to '17 and perhaps other instances which were before the warning. Until another player comes out and says another team was doing something similar AFTER the warning in '17, I think we'll be the only villain.

Houstunna likes this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

The Red Sox are being investigated on the basis that Cora joined them in 2018 after leaving the Astros. Beltran joined the Yankees in 2018 and was apparently the "Godfather" of the scheme. All things considered, there is at least probable cause to take a look into what the Yankees were doing in 2018, which is after the Manfred memo.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is actually the most sensical opposing player reaction I’ve heard.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Aaron Judge's home/away splits for his career... something is really suspicious... [​IMG]

RayRay10 and everyday eddie like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

If it's such an open secret and everyone knows what's going on, it shouldn't be hard to find some players or ex-players to speak out about specifics. You have a guy suing the Astros for ending his career - there have to be lots of guys likes that if other teams were doing the same things. Any yet, not a single person anywhere is providing any evidence? That's ridiculous.

This whole "I'm going to imply everyone is cheating but I won't say who or give any evidence" is garbage, frankly. **** or get off the pot, people (speaking of MLB players/execs/etc - not anyone here).

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

How come no one came forward before Fiers?

It is just the culture inside the game. You have even heard big league players say Fiers was wrong to speak out.

Granted it was years ago, but when I worked the scoreboard for the Astros the mentality was do not be a snitch or your dirty laundry will be aired out too. Look at the steroids issue. Guys were disussing them open and freely in the locker rooms and no one came forward.

It is the Astros fault to the extent that they did cheat...... but the complete picture isn't being put out there.

17. Major

Major Member

Certainly true - but at the time, no one else was b****ing to the media or suing teams or anything like that either. If they want to stay totally silent, I get it. But don't come out with Musgrove-type statements saying "everyone does it" and then not backing that up. It just seems like the most ridiculous option. He's basically saying "I regret cheating and hurting lots of people and the integrity of the game. Lots of other people do it too and they are hurting other people and the integrity of the game. But I'm not going to give you any details."

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The flip side of that is that the Astros did it pretty brazenly with seemingly no fear of the outcome due to roster turnover and free agency. They were obviously concerned about being caught but I don’t think cheating magically popped up in the Astros clubhouse and stayed there. There’s enough smoke out there to think this was a product of the times.

Now I do believe it’s probable the Astros were more advanced at this than anyone else and how people want to deal with that on an individual basis is up to them. I just don’t care and am not surprised.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.