1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Isn't it nice having a real deal 3 and D wing again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Feb 7, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mentioned in the game thread, the way the rockets are playing isn't conventional. but it's not like the rockets just did something that hasn't been going on in the league. small ball has been around for a while. they merely double downed on it based on their best players strengths.

yeah kids these days playing organized starting from the ms/hs level are just different that what it was as much as a decade ago. The kids are being taught perimeter first rather than back to the basket no matter if you're considered a big or guard. The game is played much faster and without much of the ground and pound game. it's been a perimeter game for awhile but we're in the midst of actual bigs being geared towards role players rather than a focal points of winning teams

clutchdabear, BaselineFade and Nook like this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Roco's defense is as advertised. Lock down defenders warm my heart. I may be developing a man crush.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We need one more. Luc was special because he could be a 3 and D but unlike Ariza he could also facilitate a lil bit. He could put the ball
    On the floor and dribble without looking awkward or being vulnerable.
    I’m starting to think Iggy would’ve been a nice addition.

Nelly, travfrancis, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think he is just younger lol. Prime Ariza was a beast is probably even better than Covington.

I def wouldn't mind A3Za back though he is an upgrade over Sefalosha, Mclemore and maybe even House.

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. Remlap

Remlap Member

Bruno says hello. . . .
    Hopefully HE can be that guy, and knock down some 3's to keep the floor spread

napalm06, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  6. noppeper

noppeper Member

Absolutely agree with this. I see some people clamoring for a big, but I think that getting another serviceable 3&D wing is more important for this team. I feel the Rockets really suffer defensively when the combo of House, Westbrook and Harden are on the floor, as it becomes way too easy to get past them on penetrations, especially when either Tucker or Convington are on the bench. Having another perimeter defender that can actually be a threat from 3 would add that extra depth to increase our margin for error. This is also the reason having Gordon is so important, so we can only hope he is back and healthy for the playoff run.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes. It's great. We all knew we needed it back when yalls beloved owner thought it would be a cute idea to sign Melo. But this alone is not enough. Doesn't matter.

You either need the rebounding or better talent to compete with this group.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Covington is definitely an asset to this team, however, his ability to put the ball on the floor and score/finish at the rim needs work. Several times last night against the Celtics he was unable to finish plays at the rim..

Remlap and BaselineFade like this.
  9. smp

smp Member

I’m excited to see how well our switching defense works again. Now more picking on Capela by isolating him on the three point line vs a PG.

I’m also impressed by the effort to rebound last night. Our guys were putting a body on guys and aggressively going after defensive rebounds.

Our defense kept us in the game during the 1st half while Harden was still struggling.

D-rock, Remlap and BaselineFade like this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

agreed. no "Serviceable" center is going to provide them with anything significantly more. I think getting Gordon back healthy eliminates house minutes and Gordon is (to me atleast) really good at guarding against penetrations. I also think someone like Harkless would be a great get so we can add another defender/shooter. I don't think our coach will play a 10 player lineup but it will be nice to have some options on the bench incase certain players shots are not falling. plus a lineup of harder, Westbrook, harkless, Covington and tucker would be fun to watch with shooters like Gordon, McLemore, house and rivers ready to come off the bench (waiters would be good here too as the 2nd pickup)

travfrancis and BaselineFade like this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The whole team has issues finishing at the rim besides our stars. It’s one of the reason I felt Capela was expendable. His weak finishing around the basket was so infuriating.

it’s why I want to bring Faried back. He was our best finisher around the. Rim besides Harden. He actually plays above the basket.

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bruno's got all the tools. It would be awesome to see him commit to being a great defender. Probably would guarantee him a long NBA career, too.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bruno is the ultimate tease.

I would be so excited If Mike was open-minded enough to give him a real shot.

Can you imagine if Bruno seized the opportunity and went nuts?

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Mo Harkless is the guy.

I hope that he gets over being traded to NY and actually decides he does want a buy out. He would be perfect for what we are trying to do down here.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s nice seeing the pieces on the court fit again. The Rockets are a better team after the trade and have dramatically increased their playoff ceiling. They went from having a punchers chance to win the Western Conference to being one of three teams I can easily see winning the conference (Lakers and Clippers the other two).

16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Harkless is like kyrie. Hometown kid. He’s not devastated at all playing for the Knicks. I think he likes that situation more than playing for the clippers. And the Knicks seem to want him even though they have a longhand are forward.

We need to go after Otto Porter next summer. Offer Gordon, ‘multiple first round picks and whatever to match the salary. Chicago is know for being a cheap FO.

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  17. bj3175

bj3175 Member

This guy was heavily coveted. He is definitely a player.

18. Remlap

Remlap Member

I'm hoping the best for him and his performance, but the Bucks had him for a while
    and they run a similar style offense and cut him loose.
    But they also have a guy named Giannis anchoring the middle

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

The thing I've often found myself thinking is why does Covington look so much taller and bigger than Danuel House? House is listed only 1 inch shorter, but 11 pounds heavier. It's not just the hair because some games House rocks the long hair too. It's crazy to see a real life, real time, in game representation of why elite wingspan really does make a huge difference out there on the court in a lot of situations.

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  20. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Bobington sure does favor Ariza in quite a few ways, don't he?

BaselineFade likes this.