1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do we keep talking about offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Feb 11, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

This isn't my opinion. :rolleyes: It is the opinion of every PROFESSIONAL analyst who is saying that modern defences are impossible for anyone to analyse unless they have had professional training and experience, and have kept up with developments.

I guess they are childish too.
    We should listen to the AAU coach from the neighbourhood instead!

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Impossible to analyze" heh? That doesn't even make sense... :D

Here we go assuming again that there are no professional hoopers, coaches or individuals that understand the game at an immense level posting on the most banging basketball discussion website on the world wide web. :rolleyes:

seclusion and D-rock like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah impossible to analyse, unless having training and experience, that's right.

Is it difficult for you to make sense? :rolleyes:
    No wonder.
    Ignorance is bliss. Always makes things seem easier than they trully are.

If there are such experts here, then didn't I say that I will be more than happy to hear their opinion so I can learn?

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Intelligent individuals with training and experience share on here all the time. It is hard to hear when all you care about is the sound of your own voice.

Ignorance is bliss indeed.

5. malakas

malakas Member

All the time? :rolleyes: LMAO talk about exaggerating

I have eyes and I see.
    There are very few who at most can see the tip of the icebergs.
    The difference is obvious when you have the same analysis done by pros.

But I don't complain instead I am thankful to them for educating me .

However it is indeed ludicrous to try to pass this high level analysis as the norm around here.
    It is not the fault of the posters,
    it is reality.
    It is impossible for fans to see defences.

And only a person with a ballooned narcissistic sense of self would think otherwise.

6. amaru

amaru Member

By “we” i meant Clutchfans posters. Yea they may be capable of that but we are over halfway through the season and we are still talking about potential improvements lol. I should have be clear in my initial post.

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

There are no guarantees and there are some obvious limitations, but the addition of Covington will make a big difference in how the Rockets play defense and what they are capable of doing. There are no guarantees, but a top 10 defense by the end of the season is possible.......if they had acquired another wing defender they would be possibly even a little better than that.

HP3, amaru and D-rock like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There is underrated truth to this statement . Just like our defense fuels our offense , if our offense gives our defense a chance to set up , that is far preferable to the other team getting out in transition because we bricked.

Furthermore , if we are up 20 in the blink of an eye that adds so much pressure on the other team to execute perfectly.

It’s about how much combined pressure you can put on your opponent .

I agree with @Nook as well that we need additional help to man the “5” . The problem of transition rears it’s ugly head here too .

PJ and James , and I’m assuming RoCo are actually fine against other bigs (especially in short stretches) because they can use their low center of gravity and toughness to fight them. But stopping a rim run from an athletic big guy is gonna be a nightmare .

For all the dumb old-timer **** people like Shaq say , a big that runs hard in transition vs us might pick up 20 points worth of bunnies vs us ... the question is can we make them pay on the offensive end for that?

3>2 and if we exert enough offensive pressure then other teams are gonna struggle because they are thinking about catching up . That’s part of how Gs dominated , that part of how we dominated in 17-18.

Buuuuut . I think you need someone in that defensive role of being able to stop bigger athletes from being able to dominate you in transition . Or you just have to hope you hit your 3’s . It’s a lot tougher for opposing offenses to find a mismatch in half-court.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

It is all about +/- at the end of the day. If you score 120 points a game, you can give up 110 points a game.

Harden is better against bigger players. He has been set to guard centers at times and that will continue to happen.

As for Covington, he is an elite player defensively in transition. We have been hesitant to run at times because our transition defense is so bad. We will run more, knowing Covington will be getting back. It causes a cascading effect.

Basketball is a game of possessions. Part of being a good defensive team is winning the possession equation and doing things to prevent the other team to be in position to score. If they turn the ball over, they aren't getting a chance to score. That is why we will go for steals, swarm other teams, apply pressure in transition and switch. What is missing right now is that we need the guys on the perimeter to keep in front of the offense.

Getting out in transition also somewhat limits the effectiveness of the other teams size advantage, and lets our lack of size be secondary to our speed.

We do need a long guy with a large wingspan and is a good athlete. The hope is Bruno. I am very skeptical but the role we want to use him in is different and honestly, easier for him.

The only thing the Rockets need to do is get defensive rebounds and not be crushed on the boards and have the perimeter guys offer more resistance and stay in front of the other teams guards. The perimeter defense will improve with Covington and and when Gordon comes back. As for rebounding, we can mitigate some of the disadvantage we have with a high pace. Also it can cause the other team to take out their bigs, and then the rebounding playing field is limited........ that was the most important take away from the Lakers game. The Rockets coaching staff and players controlled the tempo and style of game. We made the Lakers go small, and we are better than they are going small.

D-rock, HP3 and malakas like this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Because it is better than talking about practice?
    [​IMG]

11. Brown Juice

Brown Juice Member

12. smp

smp Member

Honestly, this is the truth. People generally put effort into what they care about most. Dantoni cares mostly about offense. JVG cared mostly about defense. Both were a bit extreme in my opinion. I think Adelman had the best balance since the Rudy T years.

13. ballhandling

ballhandling Member

Because this roster now can't do anything on defensive end.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Because the offense allows opposing teams to have less tired legs by the 4th quarter especially on nights where it's mainly Harden doing his slow walk. But recently that has improved just a tad because Westbrook is far more relentless at pushing the ball up the court making defenders more winded.

15. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

@tinman

16. PWR

PWR Member

I had a whole thread about how good we are with just an average defense of allowing 110 points per game.

Currently we are 19-1 when playing just average defense (110 points or less allowed).

We don't even need to be a good defense. We're damn near perfect with just an average defense.

It's pathetic that we can't be average more often.

smp and D-rock like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's a miracle that the Rockets were able to win franchise best 65 wins with Harden crawling the ball up court in 2017-2018 and taking the team 13th in West to fight for 2nd seed on the last day of the season in 2019-2019 when CP3, Capela and EGo got injured. How he had the best scoring season since MJ or most offensively efficient season since Wilt Chamberlain is mind numbingly befuddling.

Cannot believe Harden has held back the Rockets from greatness with his lackadaisical play.

Can you hear me electronically applauding your diagnostic brilliance chow?

harold bingo and Zboy like this.
  18. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

Right now I don’t even what kind of offense this is ...
    looks like a pickup game at the ball park with seniors playing and nobody can shoot .

19. PWR

PWR Member

Now, we're 20-1 when playing average defense.

D-rock likes this.
  20. bj3175

bj3175 Member

the only option until a rim protector materializes is a stiff zone bu you give up rebounding