1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. onreego

onreego Member

I always assumed Covington would eventually take House's spot as a starter. I wonder if Mike goes back to EG coming off the bench if Harkless becomes an option.

Also, Spellman definitely looks intriguing if he shakes loose. I just don't know if he'd be open to the Rockets with MDA's short rotation—especially if he's wanting out of Minny because he won't get much PT.

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because it is Malakas, ruler of Clutchfans and lone decider on what is absolute! All hail thee!

swoosh1014 and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would also start Spellman over Tucker if we got him.

Spellman can space floor like PJ and switch on D. But he is a taller, longer and much better rim protector and rebounder as well as more versatile offensively.

Russ, Tyler Johnson, Rivers
    Harden, EGo, McLemore
    Covington, Broekhoff, House
    Harkless, Tucker, Bolden
    Spellman
    , Bruno, Dragan

2 open roster spots (Harkless & Omari) plus would drop Clemons (for Tyler Johnson), Tyson (for Bolden), Thabo (for Broekhoff) and Harty (for Dragan).

Rockets improve perimeter defense as well as better rim protection while adding more disruptors.

These changes also improve 5 out scheme by adding more 3ball shooters and spacers.

Added players are also younger, more energy, above rim and more athletic, obviously longer and even more upside.

This also allows Rockets to play all 15 on their roster instead of 10.

Having 5 unplayable guys on active roster is a crime.

#703 D-rock, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. malakas

malakas Member

As you should.

5. malakas

malakas Member

I know who he is, he is a longtime reporter of Minny.

That doesn't mean he can;t have wrong information- it has happened many times before.
    And most of all, it doesn't mean it isn't an idiotic decision for Minny.
    Or that Spellmann is going over his head demanding a buyout.

I saw Iggy but now I also see non vet scrubs potentially demanding out. Should I NOT critisize that?

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We already went over this. Pay attention.

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

D-rock and malakas like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

I pay attention thats why I wrote that.

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'm a big fan of Iggy and thought his/memphis affair was terrible on his part. So np with anyone criticizing players for not showing up.

I just think it's too early to call the report BS or criticize Spellman or the T-Wolves when there is so little information out. Seeing as Spellman actually showed up to Minnesota press conference for the trade announcement, it seems strange/early to suggest he is refusing to show up.

There are numerous reasons why Spellman gets bought out/waive without it neccesarily being T-wolves are idiots/ Spellman demands it or the report is BS.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Spellman, though he did show improvements this past year. Also note - T-wolves are currently a tax paying team, just barely over the line - a buyout could get them under.

joshuaao, malakas and D-rock like this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah good point.

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, Harkless is a NY boy.

But Knicks have yet to have him suit up.

Hope Knicks keep doing Knicks things and we get him.

ApacheWarrior and JuNx like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

They are a tax paying team even after getting rid of Wiggins?
    I didn't know that, thanx for clarifying.

I saw all the media and players glorifying and congratulating Iggy the past few days, and then I see a young cheap roleplayer apparently asking through his agent for a buyout- hence my post.
    It is a disturbing trend, that I am extremely critical about.
    If a player chooses to leave in FA, then I can be angry but thats his choice. But to want out of his contract, when he's not even a vet..that isn't someone I like at all seeing.

Nook likes this.
  13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Np. The wolves are currently 414k+ over the tax line. They would need Spellman to take a sizeable discount from his 1.8+ million salary or find a team to take Spellman of Waivers to get under the line.

Personally I don't mind players asking for buyouts/trades, but they should show up and do their jobs while doing so or forfeit their salary. IMO the grizz should have fined Iggy for everyday he didn't show up.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Who cares about Spellman? Dude literally wouldn’t add a .01% to our title chances. Let’s not bicker over him

Vivi likes this.
  15. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

D-rock likes this.
  16. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Reports coming out say that the Grizz and Iggy had an agreement on him not playing as soon as he showed up. They wanted to trade him more than keep him, that was always the plan. Smart for Iggy to save his body as much as he can, and smart of Grizz to flip him for more. Worked out for everyone, players just jawing at eachother made it seem like more of an issue.

D-rock likes this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

Jeff Green, come on down!

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Keep that choker and a cupcake away from this team.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh I don't know how much he does or doesn't move the needle.

He is very long and fairly mobile. He is used to switching as well.

He isn't explosive at all but is a good rebounder.

He is a GREAT corner three point shooter.... he shot close to 50% there at Villanova and I believe he is like 46-47% this season.

The Rockets could do worse. I haven't seen enough of him as a player to judge him defensively but I haven't seen or read of any red flags..... his lack of explosiveness always concerns me but supposedly he is very good at switching.

jjc1, D-rock, joshuaao and 1 other person like this.
  20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

You're right about the reports about it being mutually agreed to that Iggy would not have to report and in those cases I have np with it. And that it was smart for the grizz to trade him and for Iggy to sit out since the team let him.

I just wonder what would've happened had the grizz required him to report/play.

T FOR 3!!! and D-rock like this.