1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I have no doubt we used buzzers last season. The way Hinch answered the interviewer's question and the wording ('credible' evidence) from the report, it just seems obvious. Then there's Altuve's gesture before crossing home plate during the walkoff. Glad we didn't get caught though.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I need to read/hear exactly what he said. But if Marwin Gonzalez is casting doubt on the Astros title in 2017..saying but for the cheating scheme, he's not sure they would have won.. then I'd argue it is the most tainted title in any pro sport of my lifetime. I know Astros fans (me included) don't want to hear this, but I think it's painfully clear that the "everyone else was doing it" defense isn't real applicable in this instance given what Charlie said yesterday and if Marwin said this today. These comments underscore the notion that what the Astros did was different than what was being done and took it to a whole other level.

Flame away, because I know many of you will disagree passionately. I wish I agreed with you, honestly, because this isn't how I want to feel about this at all.

Houstunna and arkoe like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

No apparently everyone wants them to be tar and feathered. Then castrated. Then made to live in the streets. What the Astros did was wrong. Sucks. Sucks to be a fan and realize all that glee you felt in 2017 was not 100% legit. But, at some point it is time to move the F on. Go write about something else.

6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

This is a big mistake. You just cant win by apologizing. It'll be more of the same. I'm sure Gonzalez thinks it'll go away but it wont, he'll be asked all year until the MEDIA not the players decide its no longer a hot topic

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

In the email from the intern to Luhnow he said it was becoming less effective in 2018 as more teams became aware that they were stealing and started changing signs. They may have used buzzers, but I'm not sure if it was used in 2019. Also, in the 2019 playoffs mlb had representatives in the dugouts watching the monitors to make sure nothing was happening. Click even said he had people looking in the outfield to make sure there were no hidden cameras.

MLB already knew what was happening and took the steps to stop it. It was Fiers who decided to bring up old sh*t.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Wearing buzzers is one of the stupidest accusations I’ve seen. Not to mention that Gleyber Torres was accused in the same tweet from some since debunked twitter user.
    It absolutely amazes me what some people are willing to believe.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's tainted no matter what he says. There is no way for him to come out and say that they definitely would have still won the World Series without doing it because there is no way to know. It will always be an unknown.

Nook likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Won’t ever be tainted in my opinion and I’ll argue with anyone anytime over it. It was a level playing field, the Astros were a better team which includes better at “cheating” (still wasn’t illegal what they did).
    I want more and more to come, real Stros fans can take the heat until it gets so big that the fake ass media and MLB is forced to admit that it’s a league wide issue.

Bring on the lawsuits, once MLB is brought in to elaborate on their findings they will be forced to admit its a league wide issue.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is MAGA level conspiracy theory head in the sand type of fandom. No thanks lol. Sports are just entertainment not a cult.

SWTsig likes this.
  12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

D3AC928B-E0C4-46B6-8AD2-C613CFC8F726.gif

Houstunna likes this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

New slogan should be

#No Apologies

I'm enjoying the meltdown of the Yankee and Dodger nations almost as much as winning the championship.

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah you can keep that MAGA stuff to yourself.
    Sports are entertainment, I agree. But it is a known fact baseball is a sport with cheating in its DNA. If you don’t know that or understand that, that’s on you. Bury your head in the sand about it all you want.
    The truth needs to come out, it won’t excuse the Astros for what they’ve done but it will be the truth. Literally every team does some form of it, to scapegoat or use the Astros as the outcast to protect the blue bloods of this sport is not something that any Astro fan should be ok with.

everyday eddie and arkoe like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1695 J.R., Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Hinch should've answered the question better.

Shame on the media too (local included) for not mentioning MLB representatives being in the dugout and all the extra measures taken to prevent any funny-business. I haven't heard 790 or 610 mention anything of that sort.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I keep hearing different things about his exact words.

"Not sure if we would've won"
    "Can't guarantee if we would've won or loss"

Those two statements are similar, but not the exact same. The former adds more doubt. The latter could be said about anything.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No one can guarantee that Astros would have won without cheating. Though, it is almost 100% guaranteed that the Astros only faced teams that cheated in 2017. It is 100% guaranteed that the Astros won following the rules MLB enforced in 2017(i.e., not depending on teams catching other teams or a snitch 2 years after the fact).

The NFL has had mics for QBs for decades because sign stealing was seen as a problem. For me, the biggest surprise is that the Astros were caught. The second biggest is that the Astros allegedly didn't start using the system until a month or two into 2017.

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The fact is they won the World Series in 2017. I don't care how other people perceive it. To me they are the 2017 World Series champions and always will be.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i wonder which title is more tainted if you look at the actual math, astros 2017 with sign stealing (facing all cheating teams) or that horrific missed strike call against Soto that gave the nats the world series last year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.