1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warmly Welcome Dusty Baker!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Yordan, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Haven't seen much positivity on the hire around these parts. Warmly welcome Mr. Baker to the clubhouse and to our wonderful city.
    [​IMG]

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Welcome Dusty! You'are an Astro now and you have my support.

3. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Don't **** it up, Dusty.

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Dusty Baker Philosophy is Complete Games.

Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano, Matt Clement, Ryan Dempster

Kyle Farnsworth

Really worried about his strategy over the years of overusing Pitchers, and getting them injured.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I love the idea of usage for the sp. I hope we go old school because I want our best stuff on the mound longer. Our time is now. That said, without Cole we obviously Won’t be as dominate unless Whitley shines. These guys can handle the usage. I believe that.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He's cool as a cucumber and should have an excellent presence in the locker room. Should be able to have a good grip on the players in handling the media/hecklers during this tough situation.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

mess true early in his career, not so much lately

he is a smart man, will lean on Strom a lot pitching wise

wasn’t who I would have chosen but he is an Astro now so I’m all in with him

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Indeed. Dusty Baker's soul time traveling from two decades ago would indeed be worrisome to the cosmic balance.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Forrest Whitley can be a young Josh Beckett. Hope he becomes the 3rd Starter.

Lance McCullers becomes the 4th Starter.

10. SemisolidSnake

I'm interested enough in this choice that it will probably get me to watch some games this year to see the effect he has on the batters. I'm not worried about the pitchers. Under Strom, they've carried the team the past two years. What I got tired of was the bats hanging JV and Cole out to dry with zero- and one-run efforts. Maybe an older, more experienced coach will be less tolerant of that. I don't know. But that's the only thing I'm interested in with regards to this upcoming season.

11. CALI_MOST_WANTD

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not really thrilled with this hire. I hope Dusty proves me wrong but I don't have high Hope for him.

12. Buck Turgidson

Pitchers and catchers report in 10 days.

My body is ready.

The Beard likes this.
  13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I think its a good hire for a year, the Astros need a bridge to a new manager and Dusty fills the need, he wont take any BS from the media and will stick up for the players.......at first I was not happy about it until I heard its a 1 year deal with a team option for year 2

14. Major

Major Member

I think you're going to be really disappointed. ALL baseball teams are hot and cold on offense - it's the nature of the sport being so heavily impacted by a single player (opposing pitcher). You just don't watch all the other teams or have the same investment in their players so you don't notice it. Cole and JV led all of baseball in wins last year, so it's not like they were denied an unusual number of wins.

15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Glad to have a manager with experience in light of the cheating scandals and such.

Astros not giving back the ring from 2017 regardless!

Air Yordan likes this.
  16. msn

msn Member

I hope his dog doesn't have worms.

The Beard likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The better the pitcher, the more often they have good games spoiled by 0 or 1-run efforts.

No offense had less than 8% of their games with 0 or 1 runs scored last season. The Astros scored 0 or 1 runs in 7.5% of JV and Cole's outings. JV and Cole got plenty of run support despite the myth to the contrary.

Peacock is the one the offense crapped on last season with over 25% of his starts with getting 0 or 1 run in support. He got 1 run in support total in three straight starts (Cole had 2 all season). No one complains about the crappy run support Peacock got.

Edit: Granted, I don't have a Ph.D. in stats so I'm sure the Astros actually scored significantly less often for Cole and Verlander than is actually recorded.

#18 Joe Joe, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    SemisolidSnake likes this.
  19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Dusty Baker coached the all time home run king, Barry 'mutha-phucking' bonds!

Fulgore likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fulgore likes this.