1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The Official Houston Roughnecks / XFL Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 18, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed watching this game. I didn't catch all of it, but enjoyed what I saw. I will watch again, and will likely go out to a game this season with my sons.

lw17, Buck Turgidson and T_Man like this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I watched about 3 games and I have to admit I enjoyed them.....

I love some of the new rules...

T_Man

MadMax and lw17 like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I did notice that not even FoxSports website had a running boxscore, and they're the broadcasters....

6. Poloshirtbandit

I had to look it up because I was curious. The 3 year rule is an agreement the NCAA and NFL have with each other. XFL doesn't currently have such a rule, but they're looking more at veteran backup type players.

It'd be a cool idea if someone like King wanted to prove he can play QB at the pro level.

7. Beavis Stiffler

I really wanted to see a high school senior announce on National Signing Day that he will skip college and go straight to the XFL. But that’s a long shot to even make it happen.

8. Beavis Stiffler

LMAO

#68 Beavis Stiffler, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  9. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

They’re going to have to do something about some of these teams playing in these huge stadiums though. The NY team playing at MetLife looked terrible.

The Roughnecks games at TDECU looked much more lively and I’ll probably go this Saturday.

I hope one of the changes going forward is all of the games are at an MLS stadium or Smaller college campuses.

10. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Watched the game and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
    Like most of the rule changes.
    The no kick - must run/pass for 1, 2, or 3 point extra points is a fun innovation that adds extra excitement and strategy to things.
    And I love being in on the conversation when they do a play "review".
    NO WAY the NFL would ever do that!

Looks like they're tracking touchdowns instead of total points for standings tie breakers.
    We're tied with the NY "Gargoyles" at +3.

[​IMG]

Beavis Stiffler likes this.
  11. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

PJ Walker looked GREAT in his 1st start.
    Quick, elusive and has an excellent arm to boot.
    He escaped pressure I don't know how many times and got great passes off for 1st downs and td's.

I'm not sure what to make of our uni's (I like the derrick logo though).
    Kind of an "Old-school Oilers" meets "Patriots" meets "Old-school Astros brick red unis" thing goin' on.

At least we're not the Dallas team.
    I don't know why they gave them "Columbia Blue" as a base color (grrr!) but combined with the dorky mask logo it has a whole "Zorro the Gay Blade" look to it.
    And they're 0-1 too.
    Ha Ha!

12. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

If the league proves to be a success, it should expand to 12 teams, but no more than that. My candidates for teams are...

Columbus: They have an MLS team/stadium
    and Ohio is a big time football state. Plus, if it’s successful, you don’t think a guy like LeBron James wouldn’t want to own a team?

Sacramento: They also An MLS team/stadium. My original thought was San Diego. But I think it will do better in the big towns with not much else going on in terms of pro football.

San Antonio: These folks showed up for their team in the AAF. And logistically, I’m sure Vince wouldn’t mind having three teams in Texas.

Salt Lake City: They have an MLS team/stadium. Like I said, not much else to do in SLC and enough football in the surrounding areas, that I’m sure there would be interest here.

Honorable Mention: Nashville, Portland

(I think I’m way too into this by the way).

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wildcats fire defensive coordinator Pepper Johnson after losing opener

The Wildcats fired defensive coordinator Pepper Johnson in a decision that head coach Winston Moss called "difficult."

The Wildcats confirmed Pepper Johnson's firing in a statement from Moss.

"We recognize that there are issues we need to address for the 2020 season," Moss said. "While these decisions are difficult, we have given this significant thought. We are here to put the best possible product on the field for our fans. We thank Pepper for his contributions to the Wildcats and we are looking forward to our home opener this weekend."

The Wildcats lost their opener 37-17 to the Houston Roughnecks on Saturday. Johnson's defense allowed Houston quarterback P.J. Walker to throw four touchdown passes, leading a comeback from a 14-6 halftime deficit.

juanm34 likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Although they have ESPN hype, it seems they doubled up on it. The new Audi Field was perfect for the DC game. It felt like a loud soccer match. They just need to maintain our interest and that will be the hard part. Just take notes from MLS. And they might make it.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was really exciting to watch. Way crisper than I expected the football to be for its first game. PJ Walker looks like a heck of a get. I know the level of defense he sees in the XFL is way less than what he would see in the NFL, but considering his style of play is quite similar to some of the young up and comers that are dominating the NFL (Mahomes, Watson, Jackson) I could easily imagine an NFL team taking a flyer on his to come to training camp next season.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Figured they'd just play the championship game in the highest seeded teams stadium. Anyway, Roughnecks can win the inaugural championship at home.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  17. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Lets go Roughnecks!

18. Poloshirtbandit

My guess is availability issues for some of the other stadiums.

19. Beavis Stiffler

Doesn’t UH have a spring game or scrimmage/practices on that time. I’m kinda surprised the league picked Houston for the 1st title game but still feel okay on the decision. :)

20. Win

Win Contributing Member

Looking forward to the game today. The Roughnecks really remind me of the Gamblers who I kinda loved. Anyone think a game thread would be appropriate?