1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Joe Smith, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair, I didn't realize that you might not have seen Joe Smith's last couple of "highlights". They're uh...not great

RKREBORN likes this.
  2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

3. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

4. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

Any way you want to slice it Daryl Morey is a terrible GM, come back to me in two years when the Houston Rockets are the worst team in the NBA for the next decade because Morey "transacted" all of the Houston Rockets assets away for 2nd round playoff exits!

A bunch of Homers here!

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sounds like you need to DM the guy so you can get your story straight.

6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

More like a bunch of people that are tired of your crap. I'm 100% sure now that you're not a Rockets fan. And your input isn't as valuable as you might think it is.

Go on ahead. In two years when the Rockets are doing just fine I'll DM you. You'll be gone by then though.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Funny... I was thinking today about when Morey wanted to gut the team to build around Pau and Nene... 'basketball reasons'.... lol

DeBeards and daywalker02 like this.
  8. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

9. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

You sure, how are the Rocket's going to be fine in two years? Please explain, nobody is giving up assets for an over the hill Harden and Westbrook with their contracts!

10. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I hope he can sign a good center and a good small forward or backcourt during Gordon injury quickly better not to wait after All stars matches. I suggest to sign back Faried first and then take a look at any other good statistics players to stop our lose. I think Blazers will come back after signing Ariza

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The 2008-2009 team was the second best team Morey ever assembled. Damn the injuries could have been so sweet too.

We had so much depth and a great coach

Richie_Rich and TheRealAllpro like this.
  12. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

Please read the whole thing, and tell me again it is trash.

13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, let's not even hypothesize about trades and such.

Say that we don't change one thing at all. In 2022, We have a 33 year old Westbrook and a 32 year old Harden. Past their athletic primes? Maybe. Over-the-hill? Surely not. You mean to tell me we're going to be a bottom feeder with those two on the roster?

You said, AND I QUOTE: come back to me in two years when the Houston Rockets are the worst team in the NBA for the next decade-

Like you said, I'll check up with you in two years.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  14. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

Everybody on here buys into Morey's marketing spin, that he is the analytics guru of the NBA, just tell me what is analytic about taking the most three pointers in the NBA every year by a large margin, and building a roster full of below average three point shooters. This is the antitheses of a logically sound methodology. This has been going on for years during the Harden era.

RocketOrg likes this.
  15. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Alright this is the last time I'm going to interact with you on this thread. ALMOST EVERYONE HERE HAS CRITICIZED OUR SHOOTERS AND THE ROSTER CONSTRUCTION BEFORE. YOU'RE NOT AS SMART AS YOU THINK YOU ARE.

We understand that the roster could be better, and all have our own ideas about which shooters we should be trying to acquire. However, he has also been far from a bad GM during his time here, and most of us here also acknowledge that. Every GM could've done something better in hindsight. Yes, even those that win championships. Acknowledging that Morey has had good moments is not "buying into Morey's marketing spin", it's called being a logical human being.

Now go follow whatever team you like and stop bothering us, you're clearly enjoying this and I should know better.

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

To say that he never built a championship level team is absolutely asinine. The 2018 65 win team is at best a top 3 team from that decade and at worst a top 8 team. If not for the Durant warriors, it’s not inconceivable that he built literally the greatest team of the decade.

17. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

It has already started with Harden, he has no lift anymore, he has to rely on fouls because he cannot get all the way to the rim in traffic versus a couple of years ago, now his shot is going because he has no legs.

Players when they get traded (RW) have a good year their first year, then a major drop off the second year typically see Chris Paul, Tracy McGrady, etc. Yeah unless your Lebron James the evidence is clear, the decline starts at this age, and remember these are volume shooters, which means they keep chucking even when they are declining and on the down-slide as players. They really become negative assets for the organization. Carmelo Anthony, etc.

18. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

The 2018 65 win team is at best a top 3 team from that decade and at worst a top 8 team. You cannot make that claim for a team that had the best record, home court advantage against the warriors, and let the Warriors take control of the series early on, if you are a great team (top 3) you hold homecourt, you should be the hungrier team (they have already won) but the Rockets came out soft, and had to play Chris Paul way too many minutes just to get back into the series, the hamstring was inevitable given his history. Again, this is part of roster construction, having a backup for Chris Paul - Morey didn't as the Rockets basically had 6 guys playing way too many minutes, that is not a top 3 team of the decade.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

So you don’t think the 2018 team counts as a championship contender? Do you count the 2019 raptors? They only won cause the warriors were hurt. They would have ZERO chance to beat the real warriors who houston took to 7 games

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Houston offense ranks during Harden era

12/13 : 6th
    13/14 : 4th
    14/15 : 12th
    15/16 : 7th
    16/17 : 2nd
    17/18 : 1st
    18/19 : 2nd
    19/20 : 3rd

Taking average to below average shooters and adjusting their shot selection to maximize efficiency is the definition of a logical analytical strategy and the results have been extremely favorable, especially in the MDA era.