1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Glad to see Sunday's game against WS is sold out. I hope those with tickets show up as it sucks to watch on TV with so many empty seats. The players and their coach deserve better.

2. Buck Turgidson

Excited for the game today.

Do the Coogs have a problem with fans showing up late ala the other hoops team in Houston?

3. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

It seems that way to me. Or they buy tickets and don't show up at all. When watching on TV there always appears to be a vast number of empty seats behind the benches. I hope today they get there early and fill it up. This is a huge game for us.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

another great balanced game by UH against a very good Wichita State team

the shark likes this.
  5. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Okay I am calling it with 4:01 left. Impressive win from wire to wire. And a big FU to the season ticket holders who did not show up to watch it . Way too many empty seats. If you are not going to show up give your tickets to someone else who appreciates this young team.

PS Time to empty the bench.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Great win today for Houston

Go Coogs!

7. the shark

the shark Member

One thing they always do is bring it defensively!!

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Wish the Rockets could say the same

Pat likes this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

No doubt!

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Team has balls. They’re going to give someone HELL in the tournament.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Solid Stste Win. It was all good. There are only a handful of teams with as much physical talent as we have. When that physical gap closes in the ncaa tournament, the question like in Cincinnati will be can our true scorers still score when pushed out of their comfort zone. Boiled down, That really is all this comes down too. Last year and the year before the true scorers wilted and the bigs were MIA. That’s how they go the distance. They cannot shrink. They need to play bigger. And by that I think I mean Sasser and Mills and White. Hinton is going be pretty much the same hard working - slightly poor shooting guy as will Grimes and Jarreau. Jarreau will lose some penetration against quality d. But White, Sasser, and Mills need elevate. hose guys have to rise in the moment for us to beat The Baylor’s, Duke, Kansas, and Tuckies.

#2371 PhiSlammaJamma, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    seemoreroyals likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Well, that was an asskicking. Who else turned it off at halftime?

13. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Nice summary. I agree with much of what you have said. As we go forward I would like to see Nate Hinton take a few more shots from the outside. I don't want him to be a ball hog but he is shooting close to 40% from 3 point range. I like his rebounding and inside game. At 6' 5" he could be a candidate for the Houston Rockets next starting center.

I was especially impressed with the way in this game even though we had a big lead we continued to pour it on defensively. I kept waiting for WS to make a run but it never happened. Smothering defense. Offense has room to improve. Maybe we are what we are offensively but if we could ever get our shooting percentages up just a bit and once and for all break down these zones other teams are throwing at us at times I think no one could beat us.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I know we are young. Which breeds inconsistency. BUT, that team, and the one we saw in the first half at Cincy look like a top 10 team imo. This is the best defense I have ever seen. Caught myself shaking my head multiple times yesterday with how athletic, smothering, and nonstop we are on D.

Pat likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I am proud of this team. Think they are way ahead of schedule. Did not see them being top 25 this soon, and after the first 5 games, I was ever doubtful, but look at them now, and they have the potential to run the table. I believe there is a chance.

boomboom, CometsWin and SS0101 like this.
  18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the exception of Oregon, I feel like the Coogs were the better team in each of their loses. Loses due to youth and inexperience. Watching this team grow up is a gas. Amazingly, Sampson is under paid!

I have high hopes for the tournament, but that one and done format can be a killer. Good team, hot team, bad game, few poor decisions can end it very suddenly. Can't be mouthing off to coaches and opening the door to a better team.

SS0101 and RayRay10 like this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I agree. I thought we were going to be happy just making the tourney this year after the first couple of months, but Sampson did what he always does and makes sure this team is peaking come March.

This team can make a decent run this year, which is incredible considering how young it is. Next year, this team is going to be a monster and should be the most talented Sampson has coached, with solid experience, and good leadership.

20. airflights92

airflights92 Member

Does Sampson get consideration for the rockets coaching position next year?