1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets continuing their tradition of changing the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Feb 7, 2020.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

It occurred to me while watching the Lakers game last night that our new smallball approach is the polar opposite of our Twin Towers approach of the mid-'80s. Back then the idea was to put two absurdly talented centers on the court at the same time and let them dominate. Now we're putting two absurdly talented guards on the court at the same time and letting them dominate.

That got me to thinking how the Rockets have repeatedly introduced changes that other teams then scrambled to adopt...

1985: Ralph and Hakeem, the Twin Towers
    1993: Rudy T's space the court and play inside-out
    2013: Morey's analytics with heavy 3s and paint, ignore the midrange
    2020: MDA's who the hell needs a center anyway?

I can't think of another team that has introduced even TWO paradigm-changing styles of play over that period. The "7 Seconds or Less" Suns certainly were experimental, but they were looked at as a gimmick and nobody else followed them. The Heat's superteam concept was influential AF, but it's not really a style of play so much as a roster allocation concept. Pop's load-management concept has been widely adopted, but again, that's not a style of play.

Can anyone come up with something I'm missing here? Anyone? Bueller?

2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Celtics' superteam (kg, the truth, ray Allen) messed it up for awhile, it inspired LBJ later that superstars can select organizations they play for like partners , since then super stars begun to ring each other before summer, teaming up for the trophy of next season. imho thats a bad beginning, a negative change.

#2 DeBeards, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    topfive likes this.
  3. vator

vator Contributing Member

I tried bumping an old game thread from the last time we played the Lakers to talk about this very thing. Watching Capela get bullied and punked by JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard in a game where Anthony Davis didn't even play was one of the things that I think ultimately made them comfortable with moving off of Clint. The realization that we're never going to be able to win a battle of the big men type of game so instead, let's try to optimize what we do best.

Having that much money invested in a rim running, lob catching center doesn't make much sense when you see several teams across the NBA getting those skills from guys at a mere fraction of the cost. That money needed to be allocated somewhere else. Unfortunately, we haven't yet replaced that skill set on the team with a bargain player, but we'll see what shakes out in the buyout market.

I'll miss Capela, but I do like the idea of trying to recreate what we had defensively and offensively with Prince Luc, Ariza, and PJ from a couple of seasons ago.

4. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Add - 2 super high usage PGs playing together on the same team (which the Rockets have now done twice - Harden + CP and Harden + WB)

D-rock and topfive like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Even Drive and Dish era of Francis and Cutino was a bit different - ONce they got Yao it was pretty good
    TMac and Yao was more traditional offense but was the same level of success as drive and dish

Rocket River

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

The Rockets are also arguably the first NBA team to really embrace brand globalization (Yao). Lots of teams with foreign players before that, but the Rockets did things no one else had before like creating Chinese language jerseys and aggressively marketing their brand overseas.

mikol13, topfive and D-rock like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not to mention the first African-born player in the league (who also happened to the best so far).

chievous minniefield and mikol13 like this.
  8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

With the hella topical avatar to boot.

Someone with the Rockets needs to duplicate that old photo with James and Russ.

Instead of the Twin Towers maybe call them the Two Tweeners.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Russell Westbrook directing a “7 second or less” offense is going to be crazy. Not sure if good or bad crazy yet.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'd call that perimeter clear-outs to destroy illegal defense rules....along with Stackhouse (at DET) and AI doing it.

That Rudy offense was one of the big reasons they eradicated illegal defense rules.

topfive and Rocket River like this.
  11. smp

smp Member

Good points. There are other things that we no longer have to worry about as well.

Capela being switched on to a PG at the three point line is one of them. It was so frustrating to watch that happen over and over. He wasn’t doing any rim protecting or rebounding out there. Just getting abused off the dribble.

Capela being fronted by a PF like Draymond is another thing I won’t miss. He would get pushed out of the paint and couldn’t do **** but wait for the Harden lob which couldn’t get to him.

Capela being hacked and sent to the FT line is another issue resolved by small ball.

Capela’s defender sagging off him to guard shooters is over as well. Now the opposing center has to guard one of our 3 point shooters.

I’m warming up to this. There’s definitely positives from it. There’s definitely gaps which have been closed by eliminating the slow, plodding big man in the paint.

Let’s see how it plays out. We saw enough with him to realize this team wasn’t winning a championship. Maybe we have what it takes to win it without him.