1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabo can still play, man.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Feb 6, 2020.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Does MKG really fit though? We really need these guys to be able to shoot threes. MKG, as good as defender he may be, will just cause issues with our spacing. In order for this small ball **** to work, we can't have two non-shooters on the floor, nor can we really have someone that can't dribble penetrate at least or finish at the basket.

MKG has always been a really poor offensive player, I just don't see how he actually fits into our scheme. I'm actually excited about the possibility of Harkless being bought out. I think we can sell him on the idea that with our style of play, we can definitely help him get his next contract. The Rockets can also give him whatever is remaining of the MLE. Do we get the option to use the non-tax MLE now since we are under the tax? How does that work @heypartner or @BimaThug?

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Only concern is his 3pt shooting .... .294 this year and .280 for his career.

Did shoot .340 last year

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Actually what the Rockets have left of the MLE is less than the veteran minimum after paying House and Clemons .... no advantage financially.

$1,614,653 of the MLE left
    $1,620,564 Vet Min.

No , they cant use the Non-tax MLE as they were over the apron at one point.

joshuaao, D-rock and saleem like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He would have to be used as a pick and roll threat ONLY. And we would have to be selective about when we need to use his elite defense.

Basically, when Harden is in and Westbrook is out, and we want to run some pick and rolls.

His defense really is special. I wouldn't mind taking a look just for that reason.

joshuaao, D-rock and ElPigto like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's when we were operating above the tax apron and avoiding being hard capped if I remember correctly. I'm just curious if that can be changed in season (non-tax mle) and suddenly we would have a lot more to use, like $3M extra. I don't know the cap rules in that regard so I'm not sure.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dupe

#26 D-rock, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

At no point can you exceed the apron in a season in which you use the NT-MLE .... they already exceeded it and cant use it now.

D-rock and ElPigto like this.
  8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No. They lost the Non-Taxpayer MLE for good this season when they signed the Nene contract.

Relativist, Deckard, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree that his career 3P% is concerning but his last season combined with our system which manufactures more wide open 3's gives me hope for improvement.

See RoCo shooting over 50% last night with his career 35%.

Also, we could maximize MKG's efficiency by playing him in mostly Harden lineups. MKG is House's size but better hops and much better wingspan.

10. jogo

jogo Member

Thabo played great defense last night. Having him play backup C is great for our team. And House looked really good on D too. Went toe-to-toe against Bron a few times and rejected him at least once.

RudyTBag, saleem and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey and MDA believe he is a fit even with his offensive limitations. He us a target for buyout and has been a target in seasons past.

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sauce?

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

It is known.

I will dig up when I get a chance.

ElPigto likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Robert Covington - Trevor Ariza
    Bruno Caboclo - Luc Richard Mbah Moute

Need a Center or a bigger Forward that can Muscle Up Centers, Shoot 3s at times.

15. delta69er

delta69er Member

He looked terrific playing defense on Lebron and AD last night.

Glad to see him getting consistent minutes now

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  16. bj3175

bj3175 Member

They Want Thabo to do some not all of the things Boris Diaw did with the Suns

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

ElPigto likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thabo is older than Tucker, take it easy on the expectations.

bj3175 likes this.
  19. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

People expecting flash from Thabo was mistaken. He’s an intangibles guy. Does all the little things, always in the right spot, defending and rebounding. That’s his game.

D-rock and vator like this.
  20. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Hearing MKG is a another elite defender is super interesting. I’d be lying if I said I have any idea what his game has become. I just know his shot isn’t great. But for a buyout option I’d gladly take it!

D-rock likes this.